The 2004 Oscars

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
What did everyone think of the Best Song nominees this year? I really enjoyed the performances, except, I must admit, I wasn't crazy about The Triplets of Belleville. That one was just a little weird for me, and seemed out of place amidst all these really moving, inspirational sorts of songs. i was surprised when the nominations were announced that "Take a Look Through My Eyes" from Brother Bear didn't get nominated. I thought that was a great song, and they play it on the radio all the time. But I hadn't heard the songs from Cold Mountain or A Mighty Wind and liked them a lot.

And I loved "Into the West"; I wasn't overly crazy about "May It Be" from Fellowship (though I did love "In Dreams," which was imbedded in the score and which I now think of as a bookend to "Into the West") or "Gollum's Song" but I think Annie Lennox's song was the perfect way to end the trilogy. I loved how they hinted at it in that scene with Pippin and Gandalf. It's just a great song; the somberness of "Bright Eyes" and the comfort of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" rolled into one, and with lyrics drawn largely from Tolkien's own words.

I also got a kick out of that little song Will Ferrell and Jack Black did before they handed out the award. That was pretty funny. :crazy:
Erin

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Yup, looks like ROTK did win every category it was nominated in. As for the songs, I hadn't heard the Triplets of Belleville before, but I had heard all the others. As much as I wanted ROTK to sweep everything (which it did), I also was a little disappointed that the song from "A Mighty Wind" didn't win. I loved that movie, and it produced a ton of great songs. I would have liked to see Michael McKean and Annette O'Toole get up there to accept.

I also loved that they performed that song in character!

GonzoGirl

Reaction score
ROTK won each of the 11 awards they were nominated for, which is truly wonderful!! I had hoped Pirates of the Caribbean would have gotten atleast one win; I was really pulling for Johnny Depp to get the Best Actor award, but its cool that Sean Penn finally won after 3 previous nominations.
I'm also glad they got Billy Crystal back to host-he's the best, and the stuff he and Robin Williams did was hilarious!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
"A Mighty Wind" is one of those movies that I wanted to see in the theater but it never ended up happening. That was cool that they did it in character like that. The one I always remember is from the 2000 Oscars, when Robin Williams led that huge ensemble with wacky costumes and everything in "Blame Canada" from the South Park movie. Quite a showstopper! :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

Whatever

Reaction score
Beebers said:
Disney was the backer Jackson most thought, and was also led to think, would grasp his vision and greenlight. He quickly found otherwise. They pay zee price now.

The eternal frustration with Disney is that - they ARE SO CAPABLE - look at Pirates, which I'm nuts about, and MCC, and MTI. And the Pixar collaboration. And then, yet, they also do so much utter garbaaaahhhhhgggge.

They are perpetually confused and clouded by zee bottom financial line.

And now, back to zee Oscars.

:cool:
What did I tell ya. Beebers knows everything. She should start a "Ask the Great Beebini" thread.

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
What did everyone think of the Best Song nominees this year?

I also got a kick out of that little song Will Ferrell and Jack Black did before they handed out the award. That was pretty funny. :crazy:
Erin
The Best Song performances absolutely killed the show's momentum. Personally, I thought the songs were all kind of boring and seemed to last forever. But, I may not be a good judge of music either...lol. Black and Ferrell were hilarious though. Overall, a decent show and it was good to see ROTK clean up.

GonzoGirl

Reaction score
LOL..
"look at Katherine Zeta-Jones, she's snor-ing!"

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Amazing Mumford said:
The Best Song performances absolutely killed the show's momentum. Personally, I thought the songs were all kind of boring and seemed to last forever. But, I may not be a good judge of music either...lol. Black and Ferrell were hilarious though. Overall, a decent show and it was good to see ROTK clean up.
That's interesting, I heard several people on TV say that too, and I didn't think it did at all. Though I was a little surprised they didn't spread them out more. I was thinking they would probably do one every 45 minutes or something. But I really liked the performances. Black and Ferrell were definitely great.
Erin

Beebers

Reaction score
The pitfall with Best Song is always that most of them don't stand alone well. Heard with the scene(s) they're entwined with, with the visual, they pack their punch, but remove them from that and they just don't usually hold up all that well. Not all, but most of them. Because in most instances they're custom-fit and custom-composed to specific film segments.

The only Sheer Raging Irritant of the night for me was Renee Zellweger, who drives me around the bend anyway. Here she is, what, 36, 39 years old, whatever she is, and she always talks in her LITTLE TEENY CHILD'S VOICE and all that squinting, and thanking her therapists and whatnot all night long. Gads, she makes me crazy. I find her unwatchable both in roles and in actual life, she makes me want to hurl sharp objects. Or just plain hurl.

Other than that, a perfect Oscar evening.

:cool: