The 10 Worst Muppets?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I watched Sesame Street mainly during the '89-'92 era, so I got the Elmo transitional years. I understand the reasons to dislike Elmo, he really gets alot more attention than I think he's earned. Although, he's earned that attention more than Abby has, who I feel was introduced and stuffed down our throats before we even knew she existed. It's like, "Who's Abby? Oh, she's the star of Sesame Street. Her and her buddy Elmo run the show now? Wait... wasn't Zoe Elmo's buddy? No? Not anymore? She's getting her own segment? Who are we talking about again?"

BUT, anyway, at the same time, I don't think the attention Elmo gets is enough of a reason to dislike him. He should be put in his place, yes, but I think he's a good character.

Watching him interact with Rove on Rove Live cracks me up! Clash is a genius when he gets to improv and do that sort of thing.

DrmaticEmphasis

Reaction score
I want to have hope for the new generation, but how any child can find anything likeable in that character is beyond me.
Yes, I realize how much money the Elmo thing has brought to Sesame and I understand it.
Kids like what they like... and sometimes they have some weird taste. I, personally, find Elmo amusing, but at the same time, hate the "Elmo's World" segments.

But think about the kinds of things kids like... BArney... Teletubbies...

Kids are weird.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Abby has, who I feel was introduced and stuffed down our throats before we even knew she existed. It's like, "Who's Abby? Oh, she's the star of Sesame Street. Her and her buddy Elmo run the show now? Wait... wasn't Zoe Elmo's buddy? No? Not anymore? She's getting her own segment? Who are we talking about again?"
I disagree somewhat...

Yes, Abby got a big introduction before she appeared on the show, mainly because the producers and writers and such were excited about adding a new regular female Muppet to the cast... but that season, she was only on the show three times, one of which was merely a pop in/pop out kind of thing... and that was a few years ago, and she's just now getting her own segment. As for being Elmo's buddy thing, I think they merely pair her with Elmo as a marketing strategy, sort of like how there's this myth that if Elmo isn't seen on the front of ANY product (book, DVD, etc), it won't sell.

DrmaticEmphasis

Reaction score
I disagree somewhat...
I think they merely pair her with Elmo as a marketing strategy, sort of like how there's this myth that if Elmo isn't seen on the front of ANY product (book, DVD, etc), it won't sell.
Its not really a myth. I work with disabled kids, ages 5-10, that cant really talk and several of em, while not being able to say their own names, say both Elmo and Barney. (something that is also common in many 1.5-2 year olds)

If those kids were to have a choice between a DVD or book with Elmo on the cover, or one with Abby... Abby is screwed.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, myth wasn't exactly the term I was wanting to use, but that was just my point about the thing, because I don't believe it's necessarily a FACT that Elmo HAS be put on the front of merchandise like that, but it IS a somewhat "unwritten rule" right now.

My mom feels that if the producers and writers would simply TRY to give other characters more exposure, that kids would grow to love them as well; heck, she thinks if more focus was put on Big Bird like in the old days, that'd give kids a chance to grow to love him again, and pretty soon,. he'd be back on top like he used to be.

DrmaticEmphasis

Reaction score
Im actually not sure if that is true. Because the age range of the Sesame Street audience has gone down pretty significantly since the beginning of its run, the kids need something different than they used to. 1.5-3 year olds have a much shorter attention span than 3-5 year olds and need alot more going on to keep them interested.

While Big Bird used to be the favorite, the kids also used to be older. I think he may be too mellow and sweetly quiet for the young young kids. Big Bird's character was originally the childlike presence on the show, however Elmo's loudness and humor may be easier for the younger audience to relate to, while still staying interested.

Times change... we need more flashing lights now.

DrmaticEmphasis

Reaction score
The perfect proof is the character's ages... Big Bird is 6 and Elmo is 3.5... a much better representation of the younger kids and the newer audience.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Im actually not sure if that is true. Because the age range of the Sesame Street audience has gone down pretty significantly since the beginning of its run, the kids need something different than they used to. 1.5-3 year olds have a much shorter attention span than 3-5 year olds and need alot more going on to keep them interested.

While Big Bird used to be the favorite, the kids also used to be older. I think he may be too mellow and sweetly quiet for the young young kids. Big Bird's character was originally the childlike presence on the show, however Elmo's loudness and humor may be easier for the younger audience to relate to, while still staying interested.

Times change... we need more flashing lights now.
Now that is a very interesting and valid point.

I do wonder though, did they change the show to match the younger audience, or did they gain a younger audience by changing the show?

DrmaticEmphasis

Reaction score
Now that is a very interesting and valid point.

I do wonder though, did they change the show to match the younger audience, or did they gain a younger audience by changing the show?
In my opinion, and from what Ive read, neither. It was a change in society, partially caused by Sesame Street itself.

They originally created Sesame Street because this huge group of children was just sitting at home watching television. They saw the learning potential in kids 3-5 (the original target audience) and advocate for preschool learning.

Well, it worked. Most kids 3-5 are now in preschool, some for many many hours, and are not home during the 10am timeslot.

So now, the group at home during the day are 1.5-3.5 year olds, and they are watching Sesame Street more than ever. So yeah, they have changed their programing to market towards the smaller children, but hey, thats who watches it.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Well, I gotta say...I've been at MC for years, and this is genuinely the first time I've understood the reasoning behind the Elmo-focus and its change from Preschool learning to pre-Preschool learning. Everything seems much more clear to me now!

Hence why they have the 'repetitive' style Elmo's world and Abby Cadabby show, because that repetitive style is what appeals to the new age group. I always wondered why it worked fine for years without Elmo's world, and then suddenly the whole world felt that repetitive/scheduled style shows were the way to go. But never realised that there was also a subtle audience change involved.