The 10 Worst Muppets?

bsumner

Reaction score
I know the concept of 'worst muppets' is sacrilegious on a forum like this, but this website came up with a list of ten. While few of us on this forum will want to admit that there are any bad Muppets at all, I gotta admit that most of the ones listed aren't exactly the best or most memorable. As for the No. 1 on this list, Pepe, it seems people either love him or hate him, kind of like Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars. Take a look:

http://media.gunaxin.com/the-ten-worst-muppets/37740

Drtooth

Reaction score
Your list is TERRIBLE! Scooter? Janice? Honeydew? ROBIN? You are NOT going to win any friends with a list like that at all.

Here's a list of my top ten worst

1. Miss Mousy
  2. Miss Mousy
  3. Miss Mousy
  4. Miss Mousy
  5. Miss Mousy
  6. Miss Mousy
  7. Miss Mousy
  8. Miss Mousy
  9. Miss Mousy
  10. Did I mention Miss Mousy?

Bellygrub

Reaction score
I have to 100% disagree with that list. Except Waldo, I never really considered him a Muppet though.

The only Muppet who ever really got under my skin was Piggy. So I could have a list of one "worst" based on personal preference. Otherwise I don't think there is a single Muppet who hasn't brought a smile to my face at one point of another.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Woah woah woah woah WOAH. And I say woah here with a great deal of respect and politeness. But WOAH.

#10 Scooter? Really? He's been used in a great deal more situations than simply the guest opener...Remember how his uncle used to own the theatre? Remember how that meant he could twist Kermit's arm to do anything? Remember how he was frequently used by Piggy in her jealous schemes to win over Kermit? Remember how he was the bands road manager, and the "manager" of a movie theatre? Popcorn, chicken!

#9 Wayne and Wanda. Yeah, I do see your point here. They were truly one-note characters...one off-key note, no less.

#8 Dr Bunsen Honeydew. Hu ha! You even included a clip there which made me laugh outloud...He's always been the straight man to machines, gorillas and Beaker -- But he's hardly one-note or the worst Muppet, having an ever so slightly masochistic sense of humour and a laugh like no other.

#7 Mr Poodlepants. I have to agree with you here. Who even is this character?

#6 The Bears. I beg to dissagree once more! Citing the fact that Fozzie bear should be the only bear as your defence for this choice and suggesting (slyly) that they should get realistic pigs and frogs as well shows a lack of knowledge, because the show has always been filled with realistic fros, pigs, sheep, chickens and penuins along with the main cast. They were always there to fill up the background and keep things interesting. The bears fulfil the same purpose.

#5 Janice. Are you...are you really saying that witty Nurse Janice is worse than some background bears and Mr Poodlepants? That the groovalicious girl who was into organic refreshments before they were even considered mainstream is less deserving to be a part of the Muppet team than Wayne and Wanda? I shudder to think...

#4 Waldo C. Graphic. Now, I've never seen Mupepts Vision 3D, so I don't really know his character...I do, however, know he represented to Jim a step forward in technology and a great breakthrough. I have a feeling that if unfortunate events hadn't moved in, then Waldo style characters would have been much more frequent amongst the Muppet cast.

#3 Clifford. You said it yourself, Clifford is supposed to be smooth talking, hip and cool...but more importantly, he thinks of himself as smooth-talking, hip and cool and he'll go out of his way to be so -- Much as Fozzie thinks of himself as funny, Piggy thinks herself beautiful and Kermit thinks of himself as a frog (wait, no, not that last one.) But my point is...He holds the very things that make Muppets Muppets, self-believe and humour. Who else could get away with talking about...er...the things he talks about.

# Robin. Oh my...oh no you di'int! "Once one of the top social parody shows on television..." you begin, and then go about taking Robin apart...Um, mind if I mention something here...Robin IS a parody of cute, sweet, loveablness - Not to the extent that Bean Bunny is, though, because Robin has heart. Also, Robin was the first Muppet to hit #1 in the UK charts with Halfway Down the Stairs. No easy achievement for a miniature Frog. If nothing else earns him a place on the top best Muppets, that achievement in itself does!

#1 Pepe. Don't. Even. Get. Me. Started.

And I guess that's all I have to say on that :stick_out_tongue: 2 outta ten ain't bad!

SkeksisGirl

Reaction score
#10 Scooter. Sorry, don't agree with this at ALL. Scooter was always there to be a foil for Kermit, also some of his songs are **** good. I don't think there was a character Richard Hunt did that I hated.

#9 Wayne and Wanda. Never liked them. Have to agree there.

#8 Dr Bunsen Honeydew. Without him we wouldn't have Beaker. It's only recently that Beaker's been doing more stuff without him. Also, it's fun watching him sadistically torture his assistant.

#7 Mr Poodlepants. Um... never watched him so no opinion.

#6 The Bears. Only bear I have a problem with is the one the one that sang I'm a Believer with Mickey Dolenz.

#5 Janice. I think the list maker is on acid...

#4 Waldo C. Graphic. I always thought he was cute.

#3 Clifford. Only issue I had with Clifford was that I felt he was replacing Kermit. But that was when Muppet's Tonight first aired and I never saw the pilot.

# Robin. The list maker obviously never saw Muppet's Frog Prince... I mean Robin's older than the Muppet Show! Also, who else would befriend Sweetums? Also some of his storylines and songs are cute as ****.

#1 Pepe. I gotta agree there. I always hated Pepe... dunno why I just... he rubs me the wrong way.

As for my personal list... I'd add Johnny Fiama (SP?) that slimeball reporter in season 2, aaannd... that would be about it.

Beauregard

Reaction score
#1 Pepe. I gotta agree there. I always hated Pepe... dunno why I just... he rubs me the wrong way.
I remember in Muppet's from Space, Pepe really wound me up and totally rubbed me the wrong way before I got to know him. But even then I would never have put him at #1 on a world's worst Muppets list...

There is one character that's always annoyed me, though, but I think that's just because I don't get the character. It's the Big Rat from Muppets From Space in the lab rats scene who has consistently shown up ever since.

DrmaticEmphasis

Reaction score
Pepe drives me absolutely crazy. I dont know why. Every now and then he comes out with one liners that make me giggle... but I know that if ANY other muppet had said it... I would have full out laughed. He just drives me crazy nuts... and I hate how popular he is now... its like I cant get away from him. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's good that this included explanations, but they seem from someone technically knowledgeable, but hasn't watched a lot of the programs. Most of the observations are superficial with only a minimal sense of history and context. Nonetheless I'm glad this person took such a Muppet interest to write such a blurb.

Scooter wasn't just an opening sequence Muppet, he was the frog's right hand man. Without him the show couldn't have made it and he also had aspirations of breaking into showbiz that sometimes came to fruition. I also like his singing voice.

Wayne and Wanda were very short-lived. They served their purpose and moved on.

Bunsen is funny in his own right and predates Beaker. Anyone with an adequate memory of the Muppet Show and Muppets Tonight can remember a few really cool Bunsen-driven moments.

I have to admit to hating Mr. Poodlepants. What exactly were those inflated bits comprised from? I'm just sayin'.

I like the bears and the Muppets have shown frog and other animals of more realistic varieties. Watch some shows!

Woah, they really don't get Janice. Her personality really sparkled once Richard Hunt took her over. Most people like that character and remember her more than Zoot or Floyd. What's more stereotypical than a band's stoner chick? But why does she need to be stereotypical anyway? I'm so glad she lost her ponytail...finally!

Waldo was an experiment in technology. He wasn't much of a character and once Jim passed so did Waldo. Sure, Steve performed the character, but Waldo is the precursor to performance capture technology decades ahead of its time!

Clifford is okay, but his placement as Muppets Tonight leader was an epic mistake. The frog should have been at the helm with Clifford in a more Scooter-type capacity. He's the real JarJar of the Muppets, not Pepe. The puppet design is also very attractive - with or without eyeballs.

How the Frog can anyone hate Robin? Comparing him to modern day Elmo is just incorrect. He is a sentimental character, but with the syrupy bits in just the right spot. Jerry Nelson had the best singing voice of all the performers. Robin rocks.

Pepe has suffered from overexposure, but he's been the primary character to bridge the gap that connects a modern audience to the Muppet gang. He's one of my new faves, yet I can understand why he might rub others the wrong way. His design is in the same classic tradition of the simple "stick-controlled" Muppet rats. The author of this article should go back and watch classic Muppet Shows to see what the rats used to look like. Viva Pepe!

So basically this article is 1 for 10. Mr. Poodlepants sucks, but I think that was the point. As for others...well Miss Mousey always rubbed me the wrong way, but apparently Kermit had a thing for her early on.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
How the Frog can anyone hate Robin? Comparing him to modern day Elmo is just incorrect. He is a sentimental character, but with the syrupy bits in just the right spot. Jerry Nelson had the best singing voice of all the performers. Robin rocks.
Hear! Hear! Anyone who doesn't like Robin is like... dead on the inside!