That time I ran into Frank Oz

datman24

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm still kind of newbie at this point. For the few of you who have read my posts thus far, you are probably are curious as to how I got lucky enough to actually meet Frank Oz. Well, it was sheer coincidence that it got to happen in the first place. Allow me to explain: Way back in the days of yore (December 29, 2011 to be exact), my family and friends were at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens, NY, where they were hosting Jim Henson's Fantastic World exhibit at that time. We checked out that exhibit, and while it was pretty cool to actually see some of these puppets I have watched on television for many years up close, my eyes were more focused on a particular white-haired, bearded man, whom I overheard explaining some of the displays to some guests of his (I think it might have been his children) as if he seem know a lot more about this than the average museum-goer. From that distinctive voice of his, I had a feeling that I was up close with the guy whom brought to life many of my favorite characters. I shyly ask him if he was who I thought he was, and yes, it was indeed Frank Oz, himself, who wanted me to keep it low because he was just here as a regular museum patron, rather than a special guest. The man couldn't have been more grateful, and I had a hard time trying to contain myself (as you would might imagine). We chatted briefly (I cannot remember what specifically since so much was going through my head at the time), and we went about out ways and he continued going through the museum with the rest of his family. That was one the one time a nearly "fanboyed" over meeting a famous person. To have been able to meet him like that in the most unlikely of circumstances. I have seen people go nuts if he likes or responds to a tweet of their's, but I cannot imagine how they would react if they were meeting him face-to-face. Looking back, I think he may have had a hard time accepting the fact that he has "fans" that greatly appreciate his work. I think thanks to Twitter now, he's slowly starting to accept it.