Texturizing fur.......questions!

FoxWorthy

Reaction score
Hello all,

Well youtube was a dud and I didn't find much here when searching so here we are at this here thread. I'm building a Cookie Monster puppet for fun and to play with the kids but I'm wondering about texturizing the fur. I've read a plenty about boiling it but what are the other methods? Surely there is another way like spraying it with something, perhaps? If you've had success with this in the past, please chime in. Thanks :smile:

ashkent

Reaction score
I think the best way is always the boiling method. You can spray it with some kind of spray adhesive and ruffle it up so it dries in clumps, but it doesn't look great. To get the cookie, or elmo texture you really need to go down the boiling route.

FoxWorthy

Reaction score
I ended up boiling some test strips. I also tried just using hot water from the tap which works less but still gives a change in texture. I guess boiling is the way to go....spraying sounds messy, stinky and flammable! :smile:

ashkent

Reaction score
Depending on what you are using, i tend to use a very large cooking pot which i fill with hot water and put in the oven for around thirty minutes, checking it every ten minutes or so.
Obviously just have to be careful when putting it in and out of the oven.

FoxWorthy

Reaction score
What do you look for when you check it every ten minutes? I would have figured that you can't see too much change when it's soaking wet. Does it begin to clump more?

Last edited:

ashkent

Reaction score
No just more to make sure it is all still covered in water and not singing rather than boiling. You don't really see the final effect until it is dried.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Personally, I'm not so sure about using a spray adhesive, not that it wouldn't work, but it could get messy and wreck expensive fabric quickly. You can take regular white glue, dilute it with water and then use it to "style" fur, much like you would style hair with hair gel or mousse. Just be sure to test the diluted glue on scraps first.

FoxWorthy

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses ashkent and Buck-Beaver. Another question floating around in my head is what type of paint do you use on a fleeced puppet? For example, say you wanted to add blush on cheeks? I figure you'd apply it with a sponge? I don't have an air brush so that's out the window! :wink:

The Llama

Reaction score
Air brush really is the best way to get that make up look on fabric or foam. You could try a very light stenciling with a stencil brush. Take your time and just apply a very small amount at a time. It's easy to over do it. Practice the technique on scrap material first. The brush should have almost no paint on it.

FoxWorthy

Reaction score
Floral acrylic paints or chalk shot with hairspray are some other way that I've just found out about too. I can't stink up the air where I build my puppets....it's a common family area in the basement over here.