Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Why didn't the real 1980's TMNT have a real Christmas special? That would get a lot of playback at my house.
Yeah there's a lot of major '80s cartoons that never had a Christmas special for some reason. I guess we were spoiled by the He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special, lol.

But Anything's better than what was leaked with the A-Bay-mination. It seems like his usual trolling people into a false sense of fan security with references and nuggets, before kicking them squarely in the you know where with his usual craptasticness.
Yeah his power pretty much lies in fans desperately wanting to believe him, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah there's a lot of major '80s cartoons that never had a Christmas special for some reason. I guess we were spoiled by the He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special, lol.
Yeah... it took Inspector Gadget into the 90's to get one. And about 8 years after the show ended. Too bad they didn't get a better animation studio. But then again, The Smurfs got 2.

Yeah his power pretty much lies in fans desperately wanting to believe him, lol.
The consensus is, the first half of the film would have been a love letter to fans, but the second half was basically the equivalent of "Yeah, I was kidding. Also I XXXXX'd yer mom [trollface]"

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
Actually, Pizza Power is the only song I really liked. The others were ehhh....

I saw the Christmas special. Don't watch the Christmas special. I keep reading how everyone thinks such and such killed their childhood (the most overused phrase on the net), but that pretty much did for me. And I refuse to say that otherwise..
See, I can't say the Christmas Special killed my childhood because I watched a version where this British guy and his girlfriend (who had a strong NY accent XD) were doing commentary as the special played and that made it bearable and actually enjoyable to watch because they were saying everything I was thinking! But otherwise, DON'T WATCH THE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL!

Here are links to the 2k3 X-mas special:

<--- part 1
<---- part 2

That TMNT X-mas special (even though its just a 2k3 episode and not exactly a special) is worth watching!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Eh, it was pretty good. All the family and friends at April's was great to watch, among the highlights were her pranking Casey with the help of that Justice Force guy, and Leo and Usagi's awkward gift exchange, lol. As for Mikey's subplot which is where the title came from, it was a bit odd, but there was Klunk! Gotta love that!

Drtooth

Reaction score
See, I can't say the Christmas Special killed my childhood because I watched a version where this British guy and his girlfriend (who had a strong NY accent XD) were doing commentary as the special played and that made it bearable and actually enjoyable to watch because they were saying everything I was thinking! But otherwise, DON'T WATCH THE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL!
I did the brave thing and suffered through it to make a Youtube Poop. It was painful! And to edit a video like that means I had to watch scenes OVER and over.

robodog

Reaction score
I wouldn't have expected much from the Christmas special. The Turtles don't seem to do well in live action unless they have movie level funding behind them. Look how bad The Next Mutation turned out.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Next Mutation suits were much better than these (even though they're inferior rubber suits to the film ones). But The Christmas special and Next Mutation are bad on different levels. The low budget and ugly look of the Christmas special is part of why it's terrible, no question. The real stinkfest is the horrible "turtlized" lyrics they threw into the public domain Christmas music. No, scratch that... the fact that whoever wrote this pretty much said "all the turtles are Michelangelo from the 80's series and all they care about is pizza, comics, and extreme stuff." A) look at what they give Splinter, and the gifts they consider and B) the lyrics of their version of 12 Days of Christmas. All the characters have been written generically and have been Flanderized down to a didn't do the research shallow parody version of themselves.

As for Next Mutation... I really felt betrayed by that show. It started off quite good, and as expected for a live action version of the characters. Then they tossed in Mary Sue-elangelo due to pressure from the network, and the show went downhill fast. The suits weren't movie quality, but the show had such an insane budget that it broke the show. Next Mutation wasn't canceled due to low ratings. Not at all. The budget was just intense. And unlike the other Saban shows at the time, they couldn't fudge the budget with footage from Japanese series. They had to do their own action scenes. And the worst part was, the second season sounded like a complete turn around. A death in the family (I hope it was Venus), Casey and April were supposed to make the scene. They even considered going back to animation, but it just disappeared from there.

Hayley B

Reaction score
Never seen Next Mutation. For some reason I felt that they would probably come up with a girl mutant ninja turtle though. Just had that Chipmunks sense.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You don't add a girl Ninja Turtle for the fact that you don't add a fourth Stooge (recasts for Curly and Shemp don't count... I mean, 4 at once). Venus was the Yoko Ono of the TMNT set, and not even the TMNT creators were happy about her. But the network insisted they needed a positive female role model, and they wanted to wait until season 2 to put April in the series.

Plus, lizard mutant girl Mona Lisa from the 1980's series was a better character anyway. Too bad, like all too many characters in TMNT, they weren't used as much as they should have been in the 80's show.