Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - back on the big screen

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
I just found this from dvddebate.com

On December 19th, 2003, Medusa Pictures - the company behind Hong Kong Legends and Premier Asia - will be bringing us the newly uncut theatrical re-release of the classic - and I do mean classic - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie.

Come on everyone, join in - "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Heroes in a half-shell, TURTLE POWER!"

Now, if that doesn't bring back a warm fuzzy feeling from your childhood, then go back to your crown green bowling. If, on the other hand, you just got an odd rumbling in your gutty wutts, then don't worry, it's not that dodgy curry you had last night, it's your youthfull excitement, newly reborn, and trying to kick its way out of your major organs.

Read on for the full press release, and erm... cowabunga dudes, etc., etc...

Get ready for a new wave of Turtlemania! Currently enjoying renewed success on TV, and with their new action figures tipped to be the most sought after toys this Christmas, the biggest phenomenon of the late 1980s, the TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES are most definitely back. Now, thanks to Medusa Pictures, the pizza munching, wisecracking, butt-kicking "Heroes in a Half Shell" can be seen back on the big screen when the original, live-action TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES movie is re-released in cinemas from 19th December. Boasting the fully restored nunchaku action that was cut from the original release, TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES – THE MOVIE looks set to introduce the awesome effect of Turtle Power to a whole new generation.

When a young boy's four pet turtles accidentally end up in the sewers of New York, they come into contact with a radioactive ooze that miraculously increases their size, enables them to walk upright and gives them the power of speech. Over the years, they make regular forays into New York, disguised by sunglasses, hats and trench coats, learning the ways of the humans, visiting the cinema and developing a taste for pizza. Under the guidance of a wise, similarly mutated rat named Splinter, the turtles – Raphael, Leonardo, Michaelangelo and Donatello – are trained in the ancient art of Ninjitsu. Using their skills to fight crime, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles find themselves up against The Foot, a gang of teenage thieves led by an aging ninja assassin known as The Shredder. Aided in their struggle against The Foot by beautiful, young TV reporter April O'Neil and self-appointed vigilante Casey Jones, the Turtles must battle to save New York from an evil nemesis bent on world domination.

Directed by Steve Barron (Mike Bassett: England Manager; The Adventures Of Pinocchio; Coneheads; Electric Dreams) and starring Judith Hoag (Armageddon), Elias Koteas (Collateral Damage), Josh Pais (Phone Booth; A Beautiful Mind) and Sam Rockwell (Matchstick Men; Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind), on its original release TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES became the highest-grossing independent film of all time, taking over $133 million at the box office. The film also features the vocal talents of Kevin Clash (the voice of Elmo from Sesame Street!) as Splinter and Corey Feldman as Donatello.

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES (PG) will be released in cinemas by Medusa Pictures on 19th December 2003.

dvddebate.com

Drtooth

Reaction score
Gulp?

Really? is this going to be world wide?

Oh my.... goodness....

I have to buy tickets in advance!!! I love those Pizza eating dudes... and since the character's personalities are the same as the new series, there will be no doubt that this will be an even bigger success than the first time (a lot of us were confused when they differed from the original Cartoon series version...)

If this happens in the US, I'll be there opening day (unless it's Christmas, then the day or two after...) ¡Caliente!

Manda:-D

Reaction score
YAYNESS!!!!! Very much yayness, in fact!!!!

Good Heavens, I'm going to end spending all my money on TICKETS this December.....

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
That's awesome, but...

I'm assuming this is a UK-only deal. Other than the site you mentioned, I haven't seen anything else about it anywhere (except a few UK DVD sites). I'd think the marketing push would have gotten to some mainstream outlets by now.

That's too bad because I love it when they rerelease old movies in theaters--especially if it's something as nostalgic as the TMNT. Maybe someday...

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
I hope this means worldwide. If not, hopefully they'll do something similar here. With figures and DVD's already in stores, it'd only make sense to introduce the turtles on the big screen to a new generation :smile:

Besides, re-issues of old films always do well.

Thijs

Reaction score
I wish the old cartoon was broadcasted again.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
what does it mean by uncut and yea i sure hope it worldwide that would be well awsom. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
trekkie1701E said:
I hope this means worldwide. If not, hopefully they'll do something similar here. With figures and DVD's already in stores, it'd only make sense to introduce the turtles on the big screen to a new generation :smile:

Besides, re-issues of old films always do well.
Couldn't agree more. We really need to see this in theaters again. The sequals are debateable, but the original TMNT Movie was absolutely breathtaking. And even for a film done on a small budget (If I am not mistaken they made it a budget film so they could get the Jim Henson Creature shop to do it).

Plus, the new cartoon is very similar to this movie, mainly the characters personalities, the Foot ninjas being humans instead of robots, and of course Casey Jones in every episode :crazy: :wink:. This film will be great to rerelease... I mean, a lot of the stuff out there otherwise is debateable...

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
The third film, IMO, is the weakest. It is still alright, and loads better than most other sequels ou there, but is missing the "edge" that's so apparent in the first two.