Tartakovsky directing Dark Crystal sequel

Laszlo

Reaction score
Mark Filton said:
Give me a good director with experiecne, please!

Man, I hate those Henson kids so much I can taste it :grouchy:
I would say wait till the movie arrives. Actually the story is pretty good...

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
Laszlo said:
Hhmm... yes. How did they split apart? I think the Urskeks broke the Crystal... but in a small sequence we see a Skeksis brake the Crystal. What does that mean?
Here's my theory: Maybe there was a Urskek who was more evil than good and decided to unleash his evil side who knew about the connection between the Urskeks and the crystal and cracked it to unleash the Skesis:crazy: :confused: :crazy:

Mark Filton

Reaction score
Gelfling, he still too young because 36 or 37 with ZERO LIVE ACTION experience and ZERO Muppets experience does not add up to a great film.

THis is going to be kiddie time crapola with lots of CG. WHY not treat the movie as serious art and hire an older guy with LIVE experience.

This makes no sense! Give this man a Disney cop comedy to try out his film chops. THe Dark Crystal movie is very special, do you expect great work from this guy who makes cartoons?

Would you expect Henson to make a cartoon movie at 36 first try? And to start with a sequel to a great movie?

Why not ask Quentin Tarantino? Seriously. Why not anybody but this guy with his CG studio?

Ugh :big_grin:

cabbageheat

Reaction score
ok

well, this is a crazy debate!:smile:

I think this is one of those films, they we are honestly going to have to "sit and wait". I have disagreed from the beginning about the film, based upon its mythos, interviews from Jim himself, and just the sheer logic of the story. It just doesn't add up, and TDC was a movie that was crafted over many years, making it one of the most original films I have ever seen, and still retains it's richness and originality almost 20 years later. (speaking of which, I would just like to know, out of curiosity, why they didn't have Frank Oz continue the story??)

I think Takov is a great director, hugely talented, and knows how to tell a story well. He will be a strange blend to this fantasy epic, so it will be interesting to see how he handles the story elements and the action. No, he hasn't done too many live films (at least, ones we havn't seen perhaps) but basic story/scene development applies. He will probably have to "break in" a bit with the live action segments, but that is just a learning experience. Jim and Frank had to do the same thing on the first movie, thus its "five year making".

I still stand on the other "side", and feel that this is a silly endevor, and that TDC does not need a sequel or prequel, or animation series. Jim wanted it left alone, and clearly, that is not happening. But, nevertheless, it chugs along, I just hope Takov will do the best job he can, regardless if we all hate him, hate the story, or anything else. I certainly don't hate him, or in essence, any of this, I am more disappointed that they are treating a fantasy classic as a franchise, and not the diamond in the rough it always was. And most importantly, following through with their fathers feelings/decisions on this film.

Lazarus

Reaction score
The only problem I have is that the original Dark Crystal was created as a labour of love. I'm worried that this sequal is just a franchise created to make money.

But I expect great things from Takov! I'm hoping that this will turn out great!

Anything to report about The Power of the Dark Crystal?

One major question: it says on IMDB three Skeksis are returning: Skeksil (the Chamberlin), the Ritual Master (can't remember his name :frown:), and SkekUng the General. Do you think this is true? How will they manage to bring them back?

cabbageheat

Reaction score
not sure

Well, this is some of the story elements that don't make sense, and seem to render the "prophecy" pretty stale and useless. That's why TDC is a "one" movie. . .movie. Anything following it up, bringing back Skesis and Mystics doesn't add up to much, and creates a huge amount of story problems and continuity. A lot of it comes from the novel itself (which is a great read, and adds more insight) and Augrhas tale found in the Brian Froud book, which outlines just about everything in the world of Thra.

I would love to see more Skesis, they stole the film if you ask me, wonderfully designed, but on a level of storytelling, it doesn't make any sense that they return. It waters down the purpose of the prophecy, Jen's quest, and the healing of the crystal, something that was not definitive, and absolute because, i guess in this case, it happens all over again. so why did Gelflings die? why did they create the prophecy to finally heal their world, to watch it happen all over again? and the UrSkeks "left" the world, after realizing their mistakes.. . so why would they do it (enter the crystal) again. . . . .??

ahh, we could go on forever, it is strange, and doesn't quite add up yet, but once again, we will have to wait for more info.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Lazarus said:
The only problem I have is that the original Dark Crystal was created as a labour of love. I'm worried that this sequal is just a franchise created to make money.
thats ALL things now adays are... Franchise! weather its JIm Henson Co, Disney, Universal, Sony, WB!

quixotic

Reaction score
So now all the excitement and/or shock horror has died down what do all the real fans think of the story? I searched for the exteneded version of the synopsis posted here, and someone posted it on the other thread, but no one picked up on it-people wanting to say what they think of the project going ahead instead. WEll now we know it is happening so what are your views about the story? I know its hard, but cgi aside, what are your views?

Synopsis:

When Jen and Kira welcome a fiery and unexpected visitor to their castle they learn that the very existence of the U-mun people, who live in the searing heat of the centre of the earth, is threatened by the death of their sun. There is apparently only one thing powerful enough to heal the ailing star - a shard of the Crystal.

The Gelflings flatly refuse the request for a fragment and the desperate visitor takes matters into her own hands and steals one, making a hasty escape through tunnels deep in the bowels of the castle. So begins an adventure that will see love and goodness triumph over evil and re-introduce cinema-goers to a host of indelible characters including the mystic Ur-sol, Aughra the one-eyed seer, the evil Skeksis and their crab-like and violent Garthim foot soldiers.

I was wondering the fans opinions because I havent yet, although not for want of trying been able to get myself a copy of the book. In England, as soon as it gets on to ebay, you are looking at some war! But anyway, will someone tell me how they think this is all going to work, with their knowledge of the fleshed out novel version?

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
Wait, there's a book that this sequeal is based on? If so, is it hard to find? About the movie, I can not wait! Is JHC planning to release more photos?

quixotic

Reaction score
crazed gonzo fa said:
Wait, there's a book that this sequeal is based on? If so, is it hard to find? About the movie, I can not wait! Is JHC planning to release more photos?
I mean in relation to the dark crystal novel, I haven't read it and it supposibly goes into move depth of the story, so in comparison with this I wondered if the synopsis fits?