1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Tartakovsky directing Dark Crystal sequel

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by Laszlo, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Laszlo Member

I would say wait till the movie arrives. Actually the story is pretty good...
  2. crazed gonzo fa Active Member

Here's my theory: Maybe there was a Urskek who was more evil than good and decided to unleash his evil side who knew about the connection between the Urskeks and the crystal and cracked it to unleash the Skesis:crazy: :confused: :crazy:
  3. Mark Filton New Member

Gelfling, he still too young because 36 or 37 with ZERO LIVE ACTION experience and ZERO Muppets experience does not add up to a great film.

THis is going to be kiddie time crapola with lots of CG. WHY not treat the movie as serious art and hire an older guy with LIVE experience.

This makes no sense! Give this man a Disney cop comedy to try out his film chops. THe Dark Crystal movie is very special, do you expect great work from this guy who makes cartoons?

Would you expect Henson to make a cartoon movie at 36 first try? And to start with a sequel to a great movie?

Why not ask Quentin Tarantino? Seriously. Why not anybody but this guy with his CG studio?

Ugh :D
  4. cabbageheat New Member

ok

well, this is a crazy debate!:)

I think this is one of those films, they we are honestly going to have to "sit and wait". I have disagreed from the beginning about the film, based upon its mythos, interviews from Jim himself, and just the sheer logic of the story. It just doesn't add up, and TDC was a movie that was crafted over many years, making it one of the most original films I have ever seen, and still retains it's richness and originality almost 20 years later. (speaking of which, I would just like to know, out of curiosity, why they didn't have Frank Oz continue the story??)

I think Takov is a great director, hugely talented, and knows how to tell a story well. He will be a strange blend to this fantasy epic, so it will be interesting to see how he handles the story elements and the action. No, he hasn't done too many live films (at least, ones we havn't seen perhaps) but basic story/scene development applies. He will probably have to "break in" a bit with the live action segments, but that is just a learning experience. Jim and Frank had to do the same thing on the first movie, thus its "five year making".

I still stand on the other "side", and feel that this is a silly endevor, and that TDC does not need a sequel or prequel, or animation series. Jim wanted it left alone, and clearly, that is not happening. But, nevertheless, it chugs along, I just hope Takov will do the best job he can, regardless if we all hate him, hate the story, or anything else. I certainly don't hate him, or in essence, any of this, I am more disappointed that they are treating a fantasy classic as a franchise, and not the diamond in the rough it always was. And most importantly, following through with their fathers feelings/decisions on this film.
  5. Lazarus New Member

The only problem I have is that the original Dark Crystal was created as a labour of love. I'm worried that this sequal is just a franchise created to make money.

But I expect great things from Takov! I'm hoping that this will turn out great!

Anything to report about The Power of the Dark Crystal?

One major question: it says on IMDB three Skeksis are returning: Skeksil (the Chamberlin), the Ritual Master (can't remember his name :(), and SkekUng the General. Do you think this is true? How will they manage to bring them back?
  6. cabbageheat New Member

not sure

Well, this is some of the story elements that don't make sense, and seem to render the "prophecy" pretty stale and useless. That's why TDC is a "one" movie. . .movie. Anything following it up, bringing back Skesis and Mystics doesn't add up to much, and creates a huge amount of story problems and continuity. A lot of it comes from the novel itself (which is a great read, and adds more insight) and Augrhas tale found in the Brian Froud book, which outlines just about everything in the world of Thra.

I would love to see more Skesis, they stole the film if you ask me, wonderfully designed, but on a level of storytelling, it doesn't make any sense that they return. It waters down the purpose of the prophecy, Jen's quest, and the healing of the crystal, something that was not definitive, and absolute because, i guess in this case, it happens all over again. so why did Gelflings die? why did they create the prophecy to finally heal their world, to watch it happen all over again? and the UrSkeks "left" the world, after realizing their mistakes.. . so why would they do it (enter the crystal) again. . . . .??

ahh, we could go on forever, it is strange, and doesn't quite add up yet, but once again, we will have to wait for more info.
  7. a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

thats ALL things now adays are... Franchise! weather its JIm Henson Co, Disney, Universal, Sony, WB!
  8. quixotic New Member

So now all the excitement and/or shock horror has died down what do all the real fans think of the story? I searched for the exteneded version of the synopsis posted here, and someone posted it on the other thread, but no one picked up on it-people wanting to say what they think of the project going ahead instead. WEll now we know it is happening so what are your views about the story? I know its hard, but cgi aside, what are your views?

Synopsis:

When Jen and Kira welcome a fiery and unexpected visitor to their castle they learn that the very existence of the U-mun people, who live in the searing heat of the centre of the earth, is threatened by the death of their sun. There is apparently only one thing powerful enough to heal the ailing star - a shard of the Crystal.

The Gelflings flatly refuse the request for a fragment and the desperate visitor takes matters into her own hands and steals one, making a hasty escape through tunnels deep in the bowels of the castle. So begins an adventure that will see love and goodness triumph over evil and re-introduce cinema-goers to a host of indelible characters including the mystic Ur-sol, Aughra the one-eyed seer, the evil Skeksis and their crab-like and violent Garthim foot soldiers.

I was wondering the fans opinions because I havent yet, although not for want of trying been able to get myself a copy of the book. In England, as soon as it gets on to ebay, you are looking at some war! But anyway, will someone tell me how they think this is all going to work, with their knowledge of the fleshed out novel version?
  9. crazed gonzo fa Active Member

Wait, there's a book that this sequeal is based on? If so, is it hard to find? About the movie, I can not wait! Is JHC planning to release more photos?
  10. quixotic New Member

I mean in relation to the dark crystal novel, I haven't read it and it supposibly goes into move depth of the story, so in comparison with this I wondered if the synopsis fits?
  11. lowercasegods Member

My first instinct will always be "leave well enough alone." I think the original Dark Crystal is a masterpiece, as well as a self-contained story that needs no sequels, prequels or any other kind of "quels" for that matter.

However, I don't feel that this is a sequel made exclusively for the purpose of big money. Statistically speaking, the first Dark Crystal made a very poor showing at the box office. And though it now has cult status to spare, a sequel to a box office fizzler is hardly a guaranteed financial windfall. So I doubt the Hensons are creating this soley on greedy intentions.

Instead, I see this as an attempt to give the true fans of Dark Crystal something new to add to their love of the myhtology. Granted, a good number of us are appreciative enough for the original and would prefer to leave it at that. But regardless, I think the Hensons are just trying to give the fans what they THINK we want. And that's noble in my book.

Will this movie be as good as the original? No, probably not. Will it be better? Let's not be silly, now. Will I see it despite my reservations about a sequel to a wonderufl stand-alone film? I'm sure I will. This film will still have things that I love in it: the great designs of Brian Froud, the beautiful puppetry of the creature shop, and virtually the entire original cast coming back to reprise their roles (in voices, at least). It will be a nice stroll down memory lane and a good chance to see what the Hensons are capable of now.

But in the very least, seeing this sequel will only help strengthen my appreciation of the original, which can never be topped and never be touched in its scope and beauty.
  12. crazed gonzo fa Active Member

So is it confirmed that the origonal cast will return? By the way, thanks for puting everything that way. Dark Crystal is one of those movies that is so good, you don't want it to end. This is basiclly a way to give us more to satisfy us. True it may not be as good, but it may not be as bad as we think. Does any one here have connections with Froud or JHC? If so can you e-mail them and ask them to release a photo of Jen? Please?
  13. lowercasegods Member

From what I've read, most of the original vocal cast has returned if not all of them.
  14. Muppet Pro New Member

I wonder if with the computers these days if it'll make the production faster, since the original toke about 5 years to make. :)
  15. lowercasegods Member

If they're going to do as much digital backgrounds as they've said they're going to do, then the production time will probably be cut down to half of the original's, I imagine.
  16. fluffmuppet Member

I've been waiting forever for a sequel!!!!

*so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited**so excited*

*EXPLODES*
  17. Garland New Member

18. crazed gonzo fa Active Member

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You So Much Garland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!!
  19. BalconyHeckler New Member

I love Tartaovsky's directing. I actually enjoyed Clone Wars 1 & 2 more than Episode 2 & 3 of the Star Wars series.

I have faith in him doing the Dark Crystal.

But I am still 50/50 on this project. I always wanted to see the seperation of the two halves--Skeksis and the Ur-sol. But I am curious if Jim Henson ever wanted that explained. Like, I don't want this to be like Muppets from Space, and us finding out the orgin of Gonzo. I preferred him as a "whatever" than to an alien. And I prefer the ending (of the Dark Crystal) than to the future of the Crystal.

But like I said, I have faith. And that's better than nothing.:)
  20. crazed gonzo fa Active Member

(Not sure how valid this is) Wikipedia says that skekUng(The General) will not be in the sequeal. All the origonal characters will be though.