Tartakovsky directing Dark Crystal sequel

Laszlo

Reaction score
"The Jim Henson Co. has set Genndy Tartakovsky to direct "Power of the Dark Crystal," sequel to 1982 fantasy film "The Dark Crystal."
Tartakovsky, who created the animated series hits "Samurai Jack," "Dexter's Laboratory" and "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," will involve his Orphanage Animation Studios to take the lead on the CG animation elements for the puppet-driven film.

Film becomes a co-production of Henson and the Orphanage. Lisa HensonLisa Henson, co-CEO of the Jim Henson Co., will produce with Orphanage chairman Scott Stewart. Brian Froud has returned to design the new characters.

Pic's development has so far been funded by Henson. Overseas distribution will be sold during the Berlin Film Festival by Odyssey Entertainment; Henson will secure a domestic distributor by the time the film begins production in late summer.

Annette Duffy and David Odell penned the script.

Set hundreds of years after the first pic, sequel follows a mysterious girl made of fire who steals a shard of the crystal in hopes of reigniting the dying sun.

"The original 'Dark Crystal' was the pinnacle of puppetry; they created characters that were as believable as the ones you see in animated films," Tartakovsky said. Tartakovsky said that unlike in the pricey original film, for which otherworldly sets were built, the puppets this time around will operate amid a CGI backdrop.

"There is a limited budget here, and this will be more artsy, in a 'Sin City' fashion, with characters performing over greenscreen and great backgrounds behind it," he said.

Brian Henson, Ralph Kamp and Louise Goodsill will exec produce.
Wed., Feb. 1, 2006, Los Angeles"

cabbageheat

Reaction score
hmmm

well, now i don't know what to think. I like Tarks directing style, and what he's produced so far. just seems odd in a way. but he is good, so hopefully he can do some neat stuff with it.

i think the challenge for this film is not in CGI and animation/puppetry. It's going to be retaining the soul of it. TDC had so much history and thought into, that went beyond the film, so its more then just using methods of CGI/green screen on limited budgets to get it done.

sorry I remain a skeptic (SkEPTyK) but TDC was so original and unique it is going to be hard for anything to come close to what it offered. plus, i just can't shake this but, Jim never wanted to do a sequel. So, on those merits alone, it is still odd.:confused:

oh well, time will tell.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
That is great news. Genndy Tartakovsky is awesome. Clone Wars is some of the best Star Wars ever (better than the new trilogy, anyway), and I'm a huge Samurai Jack fan.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Hmmmm....Girl made of fire.

Seems pretty off-base from the original Gelfling epic, to me.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Yes, I don't know... I really hope they can get the mood of the original in this one too. CGI backgrounds? Well, can those be as realistic as actual sets?

Brian Froud is involved, so I have high hopes. :smile:

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
cabbageheat said:
i think the challenge for this film is not in CGI and animation/puppetry. It's going to be retaining the soul of it.
I don't think it will retain it's 'soul.' Sure they'll reproduce the characters again, and perhaps long shots will be CGI replicas of the original sets, but once they get into the story of this firegirl and the inner world she lives in, there will be no 'soul' from the original.

What concerns me is that today's world has changed. Who (besides Muppet fans) would pay 8 dollars to see a puppet movie? Not many folks would.

Frank Oz once said that; "No Muppet movie has ever really made any money. They've just barely made a profit."

Also since Brian and Lisa sold off the Muppets and don't have much puppet material to market (besides Fraggle Rock), I bet this new movie will leave the door open for sequels and possibly end up being a trilogy, if it makes a profit.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
This is sounding better and better!

Aw man, I can't believe they got Genndy T. to do this!

IMO I don't think anybody should worry about the outcome of this project. All his other stuff kicks butt, and he's really into details and continuity, and the power of the characters.

Can't wait.