Tales of the Tinkerdee

Have you seen Tales of the Tinkerdee before?

• Yes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • ...I think?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, and I wish I hadn't seen it in the first place. DOHOHOHO!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, thanks for sharing!

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

galagr

Reaction score
Ever wanted to see Taminella dress up as Santa Claus? Ever wanted to see Jim Henson from just the waist down? Ever wanted to see Yorick wear Super Grover's helmet? If you answered yes to any of those questions, go ahead and watch the incredibly rare clip down below:
I don't know about the rest of you, but I've never seen this before, but I always have wanted to. Now I can! It's really interesting to see how the Muppets have come along throughout the years. I really like the fairy tale pilots (Hey Cinderella, The Frog Prince, this one, etc.) and I almost wish that they had stuck to this style.

It's a shame Taminella wasn't used more frequently after these pilots. She's a funny character, and I think she had a lot of potential. But, maybe that's just me.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That was great.

Wasn't expecting that kind of closing sequence. If the show was picked up, I wonder if it would have regularly had Kermit just barely avoiding getting hit by all those doors, or if maybe we'd just see the doors and credits. I wonder if it was a challenge to do that without accidentally hitting Jim Henson's arm. Seems like they couldn't get the whole "A Muppets, Inc. Production" credit to appear on-screen (I assume it said "Muppets, Inc." as opposed to "Muppet" or "Muppets").

Whoever was performing the king in his scenes with Kermit sure did perform him stiffly.

I kept wondering if that was Jerry Juhl as the prime minister. The voice kinda sounds Juhl-like, though Jerry Juhl's characters also sound Jerry Nelson-like. But I don't think I've heard Juhl use a voice just like that. I'm guessing it was a different performer.

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
I kept wondering if that was Jerry Juhl as the prime minister. The voice kinda sounds Juhl-like, though Jerry Juhl's characters also sound Jerry Nelson-like. But I don't think I've heard Juhl use a voice just like that. I'm guessing it was a different performer.
I'm pretty certain it's Juhl doing PM.

galagr

Reaction score
I figured I wouldn't bother making a new thread for this, but, yet another incredibly rare special popped up on YouTube! This time around, it's the Great Santa Claus Switch, another special I've always wanted to see. And it's great (and in surprisingly good quality for a special from the 60's/70's)!

And, a talk show appearance mainly starring Thog! Also, a very early version of Droop. Whoda thunk?

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
I was the one who found and uploaded The Great Santa Claus Switch and the Dick Cavett Show clip on YouTube -- I recently got my hands on the entire Cavett show and uploaded highlights from it -- thanks for showing your appreciation.

I would have encoded it in much higher quality, but I chose a low quality rip, it's much faster to do.
From what I understand, this is an unofficial restoration project from a low quality VHS rip, credited apparently to Garrett Gilchrist. The torrent from which I found Santa Switch includes a before-and-after video.

I believe the Droop puppet also appears somewhere in the special too, as do Lothar, Thog and the other Frackles, of course.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I thought that The Great Santa Claus Switch had already been uploaded years ago (and I still haven't watched the whole thing).

That introduction sequence (from The Dick Calvett Show) with images of the characters appearing as they are announced looks like the images were taken on the set where they shot the Sesame Street closing credit images of characters holding the Sesame Street or Children's Television Workshop signs.

Interesting how when announcing the Muppets, they announce Mahna Mahna but not the Snowths. Especially since the Snowths are pictured with him.

And especially funny that Cookie Monster is the one Muppet listed as a "special guest star", after all the others.

galagr

Reaction score
I was the one who found and uploaded The Great Santa Claus Switch and the Dick Cavett Show clip on YouTube -- I recently got my hands on the entire Cavett show and uploaded highlights from it -- thanks for showing your appreciation.

Thank you so much for uploading the videos! I've been looking for the special for YEARS and have never found it. You've got no idea how happy I am. :smile: