Taking the Ebay plunge...

Blink

Reaction score
So I have done it. I have decided to list one of my puppets on Ebay. I realize that there are tons of things I would do differently next time (like allow viewers to calcualte the shipping costs on their own). But oh well, live and learn I say.

Check out the BIG BAD WOLF Ebay auction.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Good luck with your auction!

Your listing looks great! I'd include both English and Metric measurements, that way international orders won't have to calculate. Also, you might want to take your photos outside in a shady area. Its difficult to photograph puppets in a lightbox. I'd always recommend the puppet be worn with a variety of expressions to show just how amazing it is (at least one photo of the blink-mechanism in action).

He really is a great puppet! I wish you SO much success with him! (Looks like there's already a lovely little bidding-war!)

-stacey

Blink

Reaction score
Good luck with your auction!

Your listing looks great! I'd include both English and Metric measurements, that way international orders won't have to calculate. Also, you might want to take your photos outside in a shady area. Its difficult to photograph puppets in a lightbox. I'd always recommend the puppet be worn with a variety of expressions to show just how amazing it is (at least one photo of the blink-mechanism in action).

He really is a great puppet! I wish you SO much success with him! (Looks like there's already a lovely little bidding-war!)

-stacey
Hi Stacey,

Thanks for the feedback and kind words. I totally agree with your points. I also receieved some helpful pointers from another forum I am on.

I know that I made many rookie mistakes with this first auction attempt. I will try to fix that in my next auction.

I am also trying to figure out how to add pictures to my description and not just in the "profile" part.

I am sure that things will get better in time and hopefullly I will have a nice clear auction page for people to see every time.

P.S. I am pleasantly surprised with the bidding war. I set a very low reserve to help out in the final minutes, but it seems that it was already hit. It is all very exciting.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
One way to get pictures into your ad (and I don't know if it's the only way, but it's the way I do it) is to write it in HTML. If you have somewhere to host your pictures, you can then include as many as you want in the body of the ad. I usually place pictures throughout the copy so people can see exactly what I'm describing at the point where I'm describing it.

Good luck!

:stick_out_tongue:

Blink

Reaction score
Thanks Was Once Ernie. I think that after a few attempts that I will be able to figure stuff out, but I am allowing for a bunch of mistakes along the way.

And staceyrebecca,

Agreed. I would say the Ebay is not for the faint of heart.:smile:

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
As a tiny little suggestion, I would add the word "muppet" to the title of your listings.

Of couse that means more people will probably find them, they'll go for more money, and I won't be able to afford any of them. But it's all for a good cause, eh?

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
A quick question regarding that, Kevin: Can Disney (if they cared) come after you for tagging your item "muppet"?

Another question: Is a puppet considered muppet-style simply for having a moving mouth? Or are there other characteristics/qualities that it needs to be considered muppet-style?

Trying to not sound dirty,
Stacey

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer or anything, but I think the use of muppet / muppet style in your ebay title would not get you in trouble by the big D. If you search around on the internet for puppets you'll see that a lot of companies also use the words muppet and sesame street to describe their own puppets for sale.

In my eyes, a muppet style puppet has to look somewhat similar to a real muppet puppet. And we know from Avenue Q and other places that you won't get in trouble if you build and perform a puppet in the style of the muppets.

You can have a vent puppet (like a furry rabbit) that doesn't look anything like a muppet puppet, but it still has moving mouth and other features.

Once you start using ping pong balls and spoons for eyes, a big round nose, antron fleece and other muppety features . . . then it turns from a regular vent puppet into a muppet style puppet? At least that's my take. If it looks like a muppet, it's a muppet style puppet!