Taking my kids to meet Caroll Spinny

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Caroll Spinny is coming to Pensacola in August to speak at our local PBS station. I'm planing on going and I'm wondering if I should take my two young kids ages 5 and 4. Every other time i have heard of Caroll or any other Muppeter speaking they have also brought there Muppets. So the question is do any of you think it would be a bad idea to bring my two young ones to this meeting or should i leave them with someone?

Also if anyone else is in the area and would like to meet up or would like more information follow this link.

http://www.wsre.org/events/public-square-speakers-series/

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Chances are he'll have Oscar with him. Some kids, at the age of 4 or 5, might be wondering "Where's Elmo?", then you got some explaining to do. If your kids are familiar with Oscar, then yes. If not, it might be more of a crapshoot.

I met Caroll last year, and I've met plenty of Sesame people before, but he is absolutely the nicest guy you'll ever come across. Hope your visit goes well. And he's always very gracious about taking pictures and signing autographs.
You can't find a sweeter, more gentle soul.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Which is never a bad thing. The point of childhood is to ask questions. :smile:
No, what I meant was, I've been to a number of functions where various Sesame people showed up. And some parents had 4 and 5-year-olds in tow. In the advertising for such events, they're very specific which performers or cast members would be there. And even though I've only been to one where Kevin Clash was there, some toddlers automatically assume if it's a Sesame event, they're going to meet Elmo. Doesn't always happen. And the disappointment (and subsequent meltdowns) on some kids' faces can be brutal.

So Dwayne, I hope your kids enjoy meeting Caroll. Like I said, he'll most likely have his little duffel bag that he carries Oscar in. On one occasion he even came out as Big Bird. As long as they don't have their hearts set on meeting Elmo, it should be a fun day.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And the disappointment (and subsequent meltdowns) on some kids' faces can be brutal.
You are right, that is definitely how children often react, myself included at that age. Maybe I'm too far away from that age now but I have to admit I have little patience for it, child or no. I know that sounds terrible, lol. :embarrassed:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well I have been talking about it with my kids they are excited about it, and I think it will be fun to meet Caroll and hopefully Oscar as well. Oddly enough my kids are not that crazy over Elmo. They like Cookie Monster a whole lot more, which is fine with me.