Swamp Years a good thing?

danielromens

Reaction score
So I'm sitting here at the front desk of the residence hall I live in. Senior citizens are watching The Cider House Rules. Mel Torme rings on my computer. I can't help but wonder, maybe Kermit's Swamp years will be a good thing.

Now I know there is a contradictory/devil's advocate approach and answer but think about this.

We have been told there might be follow ups to Swamp Years. Though the idea in some ways makes me cringe, if used strategically it could work to Henson's advantage.

In swamp years the focus is on a younger Kermit and his adventures, and the people he meets along the way. With the world of a younger character, it reopens the possibilities for the adult character. Take what you got and fly with it. By focusing the kid Kermit for kids, the adult Kermit will be free to act as an adult. Muppet Babies was certainly geared towards a younger audience. Thus the classic muppets can be open for a more mature and witty type of humor. Granted they will always be great visually for the youngsters, but the new stuff has completely lost the art and savvy of the original work. I think this could open up the possibility of Kermit growing up with a new audience.

Consider the Simpsons. Ten years ago the show was widely geared toward a younger audience and slowly but surely more adult themes and more intelectual humor and references worked it's way in, making it one of the smartest shows on television. Hopefully Henson will bypass merely making the muppets "wacky" and get back to making them "human". I think the writing lost a lot of the emotion in recent years. MCC and MFS had their moments, but little else has reached the bar.

Just a thought. I'm friggin bored.