Swamp Call

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me for spending yesterday writing an english paper and then going to a Sukkah Sleepover which by the way is a very deceiving name for an event where you don't even THINK about sleeping until three in the morning, at which point everyone else went into one room to watch a movie that I was not interested in. So they all figured out their sleeping arrangements and by the time I got there, there was no room for me to sleep except for, of course, right in front of the bathroom, unless I wanted to go into the rest of the synagogue which was of course under the control of people who did not want to sleep and were therefore running around screaming. So last night, I didn't get much sleep, because I was too busy getting trampled. I got kicked in the head twice, and I lost track of how many times my butt was either kicked or stepped on. And you know what officially ended my poor attempt at sleep this morning? My hand getting squished by someone's foot! And it hurt! And then I had to get up and teach a bunch of kids how to do a bunch of random Jewish stuff like sing and read in hebrew and say random blessings, without going home in between to do anything like, oh I don't know, shower? Eat breakfast? Put in contacts so I could see what the heck I was doing without squinting every five seconds because my glasses are two prescriptions behind and I forgot to pack contact solution? So excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me if I still have to finish that english paper and I'm sleep deprived and there is no way in the world that I will be able to post more story today and don't hold your breath for any tomorrow, either! ...Sorry, I'm in kind of a crappy mood... I think I'll go eat some chocolate or something...

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I have to say, and I hope this will make you laugh, that was very Kermit like of you! Post when you're ready my dear, we'll wait! :smile:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<hugs> You both rock! That definately put me in a MUCH better mood! More <hugs>

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<sigh>, I sure miss this story. Whaddaya say I take a little break- or rather, continue the current break from homework, and post that next chapter... maybe that'll hold us over until I can write again...

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter seventeen

“Four hours to curtain, everybody!” Scooter announced as he hurried to Kermit’s desk, where Clifford and Rowlf were already waiting.

“Alright, now are we all set for the show?” Clifford asked. “Let’s go over the list.”

“Okay,” Rowlf said as he examined a piece of paper. “Uh, order of acts?”

Scooter consulted his clipboard. “Check.”

“Uh, scenery ready to go?” Rowlf said.

“Check.”

“Props?”

“Check.”

“Lights?”

“Uh, no check,” Scooter said. “Lights are never check.”

“Yeah, that’s cause I haven’t fixed that stupid light,” Clifford said.

Rizzo was walking past. “Maybe it’s not the light that’s stupid,” he said before hurrying away.

“What?” Clifford said angrily. “Yo, Rizz, get back here!” He chased after the rat.

Rowlf shook his head. “So what do we do about the light?”

Scooter shrugged. “Same thing we do every week, I guess. We don’t use that one.” He put a check mark next to “lights.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

Kermit paced in front of the marsh grasses, deep in thought. It was show night. The theater was sure to be total chaos, with sets being moved, costumes zooming around on racks, everyone memorizing lines at the last minute, people begging for more stage time, and at least one minor emergency of some sort. Kermit could almost see it, could almost smell the greasepaint, could almost hear the shouts and complaints, could almost feel the seconds ticking away. Two hours to curtain, Boss! Two hours to curtain! Would they have all the props? Would the sets be right? Would the costumes fit? Would they know their lines? He shook his head. There was no need to be nervous. He wasn’t going on stage. He wasn’t even in the theater.

Robin hopped out of the marsh grasses. “Uncle Kermit, is it time to go watch the show yet?” he asked.

Kermit shook his head. “Not yet, Robin. Wilson will be here to give us a ride. We don’t have to go for a while.”

“Oh.” Robin looked down at his feet, then back up at his uncle. “It feels a lot longer when we’re not at the theater,” he said.

“It sure does,” Kermit said with a smile. He kept pacing and quietly started to sing. “Dah dah buh-deet dah doo-dah. Dah dah buh dee-dat doo...”

Robin recognized the tune, held his uncle’s hand, and sang. “It’s time to meet the Muppets-“

On the Muppet Show tonight,” they finished together. They laughed and sat down.

“Kermit?” a voice behind them said.

They turned around. “Yeah Mom?” Kermit said.

His mother smiled. “I know you’re anxious,” she said in her forever-gentle voice. “Why don’t you two start walking to town now, and the rest of us will come later with Wilson. It might not seem so long that way.”

Kermit smiled. Robin was immediately on his feet, hopping around. “Can we do that, Uncle Kermit? Can we? Can we?”

“I don’t see why not,” Kermit said as he stood up.

“Oh boy!” Robin kept hopping in circles around his uncle.

Kermit hugged his mother. “Thanks Mom,” he said. “I’ll see you at Jerry’s!” And with that, he took his nephew’s hand and left.

“Just be careful!” the elderly lady frog called after him.

A few minutes after Kermit and Robin arrived at Juhl’s Pizza Place, a red pick-up truck pulled up and over a hundred frogs started hopping out of the back and pouring into the restaurant.

“Thank you, Wilson,” Kermit’s mother said as she got out.

Wilson nodded. “My pleasure, Mrs. The Frog!” he said cheerfully. “I’ll be back in half an hour to pick you up.”

She waved as he drove away, and then hurried inside just in time to see Rowlf the Dog poke his head out of the big O.

It’s the Muppet Show, with our special guest star, Miss Drew Barrymore!”

“Great number, guys. Really. Terrific!” Rowlf said to the performers as he followed them off stage. He waited until they were safely out of earshot before turning to Scooter. “At least it would have been if they could keep time with the music.”

“Yeah,” Scooter said as he looked at his clipboard. “I guess we should have scheduled more practice time for you guys on stage.”

“Alright, so the panel’s next, right?” Clifford said.

“Yup,” Scooter said. He leaned over to the intercom. “Discussion panel, onstage!”

“Good luck, Clifford,” Rowlf said.

“Yeah thanks. I’ll need it,” Clifford said. “I just hope Rizzo knows what he’s doing with those lights.”

“Alright, time to try to raise the intellectual level of the show,” Clifford said as the panel members quieted down. “Our guest panelist tonight is Miss Drew Barrymore.” He motioned to his left.

Drew Barrymore waved. “Hi!”

“Pleasure to have you here,” Clifford said. “And we will be discussing History’s Greatest Female Celebrity. Miss Barrymore, would you like to-“

“Well as we all know,” Miss Piggy interrupted, “The greatest female celebrity is, of course, moi.”

“But for history’s greatest female celebrity, we must consider all of history, and every different kind of celebrity,” Mildred said.

“Yeah,” Drew said, “Every woman who was ever famous. So that’s singers and actresses, of course, but also politicians, royalty, criminals...”

“Criminals?” Miss Piggy said. “How could a criminal be great?”

“That would depend what we are measuring the greatness of,” the Guru said. “Perhaps we are measuring their skill at skinning an antelope.”

“Why would we measure that?” Drew asked. “I think we’re supposed to be discussing how well they were known. Isn’t that what really defines being a celebrity?”

“Well if that is the case,” Mildred said, “I should think that Queen Victoria is undeniably the greatest.”

“Humph! Queen Victoria couldn’t hold a candle to moi!” Miss Piggy shouted.

“She wouldn’t have had to,” Drew said. “She had plenty of servants to do it for her.”

Suddenly there was an explosion above them and the stage went dark.

“AAAAAAAAAA-OW!” Rizzo fell from the lights and landed on the table in front of Clifford. “Oh, my little broken body,” he moaned. “Hey- I’m alive!”

Clifford took his sunglasses off and looked in what he guessed was the rat’s general direction. “Rizzo, what did you do up there?”

“Y’know that red button I wasn’t s’posed to push?” Rizzo said.

“Aw, man!” Clifford stood up and projected his voice into the audience. “Everybody stay calm. We’re just having some electric problems-“

“Yeah, they didn’t pay the bill!” Statler called out from the balcony.

Clifford ignored the comment. “We’ll take care of it, everything should be back to normal soon-“

“Normal? On this show?” Waldorf cried out.

“Why, that doesn’t exist!” Statler said.

“And if it did, you’d need the frog to get it!” Waldorf added.

“Will you two hold it down up there?” Clifford said. “We’re trying to do a show!”

“Really?” Waldorf said. “It doesn’t look like a show to me.”

“Unless you’re showing how bad you are!” Statler added.

“Whatever,” Clifford said. “Anyway, in the meantime, join us next time on the discussion panel when I have no idea what we’ll be discussing because I can’t see my notes.”

“You know Waldorf,” Statler said, “I think this show is getting better.”

“Oh? What do you mean?” Waldorf asked.

“Well now, we don’t have to see it!”

“Doh ho ho ho!”

Rowlf and Drew Barrymore came and stood in front of the stage curtain, illuminated only by a few carefully placed flashlights. A stray beam of light would occasionally dance over them, courtesy of Clifford, who was trying to fix the stage lights.

“Well Drew, we’re terribly sorry this happened,” Rowlf said. “I know the whole show has been kind of hectic backstage and all.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Drew said. “I understand. Where is Kermit, anyway?”

“He had a family emergency,” Rowlf said.

“Ohhh,” she said, “I’ve had some of those.”

“Care to share?” Rowlf asked.

“No.”

“Yeah, Kermit’s not talking, either.”

Suddenly the stage lights flickered on, half-blinding them.

“Looks like we’re back in business,” Drew said.

“Well then let’s get on with the show,” Rowlf said.

Kermit looked a little uneasy as he watched the “goodnights” on the television.

Well in spite of everything that went wrong, I hope you still had a good time, Miss Barrymore,” Scooter was saying.

Oh yeah, I had a blast!” Drew said.

Crazy Harry popped up between them. “Did somebody say blast?”

BOOM!

The stage went dark again.

Quick! Somebody grab a flashlight!” Scooter shouted. A dim light from stage right silhouetted the three figures. “We’ll see you next time on the Muppet Show!” Scooter said. “I hope.”

The camera cut away to the band pit for the closing theme, with a few flashlights slowly illuminating the members of the orchestra.

Kermit sighed and shook his head. “Well Robin,” he said, “I guess they had a little trouble.”

Maggie laughed and pushed the white desk phone towards her brother. “Got a call to make, Mit?”

“Yeah, thanks,” he said, and he picked up the phone and started to dial.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Whoa!!! That was awesome!!! Oh, and that detailed review I promised you...

TogetherAgain said:
“Yeah, that’s cause I haven’t fixed that stupid light,” Clifford said.

Rizzo was walking past. “Maybe it’s not the light that’s stupid,” he said before hurrying away.
Ahahahaha! That's perfect!

Lisa said:
Kermit paced in front of the marsh grasses, deep in thought. It was show night. The theater was sure to be total chaos, with sets being moved, costumes zooming around on racks, everyone memorizing lines at the last minute, people begging for more stage time, and at least one minor emergency of some sort. Kermit could almost see it, could almost smell the greasepaint, could almost hear the shouts and complaints, could almost feel the seconds ticking away. Two hours to curtain, Boss! Two hours to curtain! Would they have all the props? Would the sets be right? Would the costumes fit? Would they know their lines? He shook his head. There was no need to be nervous. He wasn’t going on stage. He wasn’t even in the theater.
Wonderful! Kermit's nervous, and he doubts himself, perfect!

Lisa!!! said:
“It sure does,” Kermit said with a smile. He kept pacing and quietly started to sing. “Dah dah buh-deet dah doo-dah. Dah dah buh dee-dat doo...”

Robin recognized the tune, held his uncle’s hand, and sang. “It’s time to meet the Muppets-“

On the Muppet Show tonight,” they finished together. They laughed and sat down.
I think Beau was right, there is nothing like a Kermit and Robin moment. Nothing.

No one...oh wait...Lisa said:
Kermit hugged his mother. “Thanks Mom,” he said. “I’ll see you at Jerry’s!” And with that, he took his nephew’s hand and left.
Jerry...

Liiiiiiiiiiisa said:
She waved as he drove away, and then hurried inside just in time to see Rowlf the Dog poke his head out of the big O.
Ahh, I waws wondering who'd stick their head out for the show.

Lisssssssssssssssa said:
“Yeah thanks. I’ll need it,” Clifford said. “I just hope Rizzo knows what he’s doing with those lights.”
Foreshadowing...

Lisaaaaaaaaaaaa said:
“That would depend what we are measuring the greatness of,” the Guru said. “Perhaps we are measuring their skill at skinning an antelope.”
The Guru! The Guru, the Guru, the Guru!!!

Llllllllliiiiiiiiissssssaaaaaaa said:
“AAAAAAAAAA-OW!” Rizzo fell from the lights and landed on the table in front of Clifford. “Oh, my little broken body,” he moaned. “Hey- I’m alive!”
Ha! Rizzo in pain never ceses to make me laugh...

LISA said:
“You know Waldorf,” Statler said, “I think this show is getting better.”

“Oh? What do you mean?” Waldorf asked.

“Well now, we don’t have to see it!”

“Doh ho ho ho!”
Ha! Reminds me of Revenge of Elmo...

Almost done... said:
Crazy Harry popped up between them. “Did somebody say blast?”
Finally! I love Crazy Harry, and I knew he was coming!

Last one... said:
Maggie laughed and pushed the white desk phone towards her brother. “Got a call to make, Mit?”

“Yeah, thanks,” he said, and he picked up the phone and started to dial.
Yes Kermit you do.

Oh, and as for holding us off for awhile...um...well, I'm satisfied...for now...

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
You'd BETTER be satisfied! Not only do I not have time to write, but this notebook here is officially full! See? <flips through notebook> No room! And besides, this chapter was a little longer than usual. Yes, it took the same eight notebook pages as the others, but it's all in iiiiitty biiiiitty liiiiiiiiittle print that apparently the rest of the world has difficulty reading.

But I digress. Very glad you enjoyed the chapter, please be satisfied for a little while. If it takes particularly long for me to get a new notebook and write and type and post the next chapter... well, I've got something up my sleeve that might help... but we'll get to that bridge when we cross it. Er, cross that bridge when we burn it. Wait no... Oh, I give up! I need sleep.