Superman and Batman on Sesame Street?

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone know anything about this? I have heard that both Superman and Batman and Robin have been on Sesame Street before. According to this site, http://captain.custard.org/league/php/liveaction.php?mode=show&id=la232
The Penguin and the Joker even showed up as villians. Superman apparently also perhaps showed up as Clark Kent and then changed to Superman.
According to the site there are three separate appearances -- Superman talks about the letter S, Batman teaches children to cross the road and another Batman sketch includes the Penguin.

Does anyone remember these and can anyone get me some screenshots or anything? Thanks. :smile:

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
There is an appearance by Batman, Robin, and the Joker from a 1970 episode.

The premise is:

The Joker is robbing a bank, with the Dynamic Duo in pursuit, and tries to escape...but winds up falling into a manhole.

Reason? He didn't look both ways before crossing.

If I have time I can post a screenshot, but I gotta find it.

Casey Kasem and Omar Soule of the Superfriends voice the two heroes. Casey Kasem doubles duty as Joker's voice.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
both were also on Sat. Morning TV. i have a book about date on when old TV shows ran and the Batman cartoon was from 1968-1970. but the 1st Superman Sat. Morning cartoon was from 1966-1968 witch obviously means it went off the air a year before SS debuted. strange.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
jeffkjoe,
If you can get a screenshot, that would be awesome! Thanks!
So then, I take it both the Superman and Batman and Robin appearances were all animated? No live action appearances at all? Unless they just hired someone new to do the role, there wouldn't have been any known Superman actor to portray him in 1969 or 1970. George Reeves was long dead by then (unfortunately) and Christopher Reeve hadn't quite been cast in the role yet. (not until 1978!)
However, I could totally have seen Adam West, Burt Ward, Cesar Romero, and Burgess Meredith showing up as Batman, Robin, The Joker, and The Penguin respectively.
Well, thanks everyone for the info. Being a big Muppets fan and a big superhero fan, it's ultra cool for me to see times when they crossover. (Like the Lynda Carter and Christopher Reeve episodes of The Muppet Show.)
(If you didn't know, Lynda Carter portrayed Wonder Woman in the 1977-1979 TV show and Christopher Reeve portrayed the Man of Steel, Superman, in four great movies in 1978, 1980, 1983, and 1987!) :wink: :smile:

fozziefan

Reaction score
Holy muppets! I agree that it would have been totally awesome for the actors from the original Batman to have made an appearance on Sesame Street. There could have been an interesting episode about the Penguin trying to turn his new feathered friend Big Bird to a life of crime. Then the dynamic duo would have to join forces with Super Grover to save the day! LOL Hmmm maybe somebody should suggest to Sesame Workshop that Adam West and Burt Ward be added to the list of guest stars next season.

:smile:
Katie (fozziefan)

goshposh

Reaction score
actually the batman and superman inserts were cartoons made filmation (i think) and superman was voiced by bud collyer the man who did it on the radio show in the 40's-50's

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I didn't know about this until I saw a thread here a few months ago with a link to a site selling a newspaper ad for Sesame Street that ran in the comics in 1969--it featured Batman and Superman telling kids to watch Sesame Street. Cool!

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
yeah i think i made that clear the first time.
I know, but we were just speculating for fun.

It's cool that they got Bud Collyer for the voice of Superman. It would have been cool if Adam West and Burt Ward would have done the voices for Batman and Robin, but more than likely it was Olan Soule and Casey Kasem as Batman and Robin, respectively.

However, Bud Collyer's voiceover must have been done early on because IMDB says he died on September 8, 1969. But it makes sense because he did the voice of Superman for the 1940s Max Fleischer cartoons as well as the 1966-1968 Superman cartoon series.

"Adventures of Batman, The" (1969) TV Series (voice) .... Additional Voices
... aka "Adventures of Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder, The" (1969) (USA: complete title)
"Batman/Superman Hour, The" (1968) TV Series (voice) .... Superman (Clark Kent)
"Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure, The" (1967) TV Series (voice) .... Superman (Clark Kent)
"New Adventures of Superman, The" (1966) TV Series (voice) .... Superman/Clark Kent

As you can see, he also worked on the Adventures of Batman cartoon in 1969 so it makes sense that he would have done the Superman voice for Sesame Street.

Holy storyline, fozziefan! That's a great idea. :smile: That would be hilarious to see Burgess Meredith as The Penguin somehow tricking Big Bird into some sort of criminal operation. (Because Big Bird would never do something wilfully that he knew to be against the law!) And the Birdketeers would be The Penguin's stooges.
Super Grover and Batman and Robin to the rescue! Man, that would be awesome!

Ooh, ooh, and Batman and Robin could do the famous rope-climbing bit going up the side of 123 Sesame Street apartments and Susan and Gordon could stick their heads out and talk with them, as well as Maria and Luis and Bert and Ernie!!! :frown: :stick_out_tongue: They'd probably chat about the letter and number of the day and try to find any leads on the Penguin. And Ernie would pull some goofy joke on the Caped Crusaders!
And you'd have to have the voice over. "Is it curtains for the Dynamic Duo?"- Find out next episode- Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel!!! (Okay, I guess it'd be SeSame Bat Time, SeSame Bat Channel!!! :smile: