Studying Puppetry

aussiepuppeteer

Reaction score
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've posted on here, but I thought I'd let you all know (Aussies in particular) about a university course I've studied.

In February, as a second year university student, I undertook a short 2 week course at the University of South Australia, called "World Puppetry". The course runs for 3 full days a week from about 9am until 4pm, and is given by the wonderful Sue Harris. Sue is a very well known puppeteer from South Australia and has worked with puppets in education, therapy and pure entertainment. She has a wonderful sense of creativity and very knowledgeable about many styles of puppetry.

Which brings me onto what the course covers - a wide range of European, American and Asian styles of puppetry, including marionettes, bunraku, Punch and Judy, hand puppets, shadow puppetry, Vietnamese water puppetry and of course, Muppets! :smile:

This is a wonderful opportunity to anyone (though you must complete your first year of study at UniSA), and I highly recommend the course - because I know, that in Australia, it's really HARD to find academic study in puppeteering!

Thanks all!

Sam Bald Eagle

Reaction score
Sounds cool :smile: I was in the inaugural class of the no defunctVCA's Post graduate in Puppetry coarse (which was spectacular spending a hole year doing puppetry full time) Any coarse offered by tertiary institutions in Australia is a step in the right direction