Storyteller DVD Collection

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, just finished reading the article posted on Muppet Central's main page about the Storyteller series on DVD. And what struck me most was the first article where the reviewer refered to the liberation of such classics as the friendly DVD gnome breaking the evil network wizard's spell. Well, that reviewer should be prepared for the following news. When the DVD gnome released the Storyteller DVD, only one such enchanted child was released from the network wizard's spell. Yes, there's still the matter of the Storyteller series' twin sister, and she's still asleep under her charm awaiting for the day that she too will be released from this realm of superstiticions and legends. For those who don't understand what I'm talking about, simply put, it's the four Greek Myths episodes of the Storyteller which are notedly missing from the DVD collection. Now we must endure the hardships of starting the quest to free the remaining Storyteller episodes from the grip of their mystical mythical burial and revive them to the world of the living so that they too, may rejoice once more in the full reign of the Henson and the other worlds out there for everyone's viewing eyes.
Hope this helps and have a good day.

jediX

Reaction score
Well, that, or you can just buy them off Amazon like I did. :wink:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Count, you bring up a great point. We can only hope that the 4 Greek Myth episodes also find their way to DVD. As jediX mentioned, they are available on VHS, but it isn't quite the same.

jediX

Reaction score
Agreed. Even though VHS are recent (1999) they still cannot reach the level of quality that dvd is. I guess they didn't want to put Greek Myths, which was out in 1991, into the Storyteller collection because they weren't really part of the Storyteller series (1988) that's presented in the collection.

Maybe they just didn't want to take up the space of an extra disc, couldn't secure the rights to it for some reason, or like I said above, didn't want to include it with the 88' ST episodes.

Go figure.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
is lesson, young JediX, now go and pick up rocks in your room you shall.

jediX

Reaction score
Uh........sure....? :confused:

::stands on head and levitates rocks::

Patty

Reaction score
Since I'm the the reviewer in question, yes, I'm aware that Greek Storyteller is not available on DVD (and yeah, I do consider that a different entity above the original Storyteller series -- even the narrator is different). I'd bet that if The Storyteller DVD sells well, the Greek shows will surface eventually by way of the kindly DVD gnome at Henson Co. I would like to see them on DVD, as well as a few things that originally appeared on The Jim Henson Hour, such as the Monster Maker short story (what the heck was that officially a part of?).

jediX

Reaction score
I believe that 'Monster Maker' and the unaired 'Living W/ Dinosaurs' were originally intended as JHH episodes, since not all the episodes followed the half hour of MuppetTelevision and half hour of Storyteller/other special. I'll look into that when I get home later today. I'd rather see the entire series get a DVD set rather than just the few special hour-long story ones.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, both Monster Maker and Living with Dinosaurs were originally Jim Henson Hour episodes. I have them with the JHH bumpers before and after the features.