Steve Whitmire Lecture/Workshop at the Center for Puppetry Arts

RomanaFraggle

Reaction score
Kermit the toad? Goodness gracious! o0

Everyone who's going, have fun! And give Steve my love (even though I've never met him.. eheh~)

Super Scooter

Reaction score
*sigh*

Of all the Muppeteers to meet, at the very top of my list is Steve Whitmire and Dave Goelz. They have such a passion for the Muppets.

And now I'm depressed. An opportunity to meet Steve, another opportunity to meet Dave, and I can't be at either.

:frown: :cry: :sympathy: <--- Sad Muppets

Barry Lee

Reaction score
It went great, I will type up a full report later. Steve is such a nice lovely person, got to have a little conversation with him.

THOUGH, Kermit wasn't there, which was fine, I have even more respect for the Muppet's now. His views really seemed polished he even spoke about his views on recasts. Very interesting lecture and fun workshop. You'll see more later, on a certain website. :smile:

shtick

Reaction score
if someone could go in with a camcorder or audio recorder and bring back the lecture and or class, I'd pay for it!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Well, um, just a reminder, it's typically against forum rules to buy such a tape. However, trades are more than acceptable!

Oh, and there's a thread over in Henson Headlines discussing this. Although it is nice to have a heads-up over here in puppetry, since that's the main concern of the topic, yes?

RomanaFraggle

Reaction score
Reports! This is so exciting! XD

I'm actually kind of glad I couldn't go.. I've been feeling really awful all day. If I had been there (which would be a long-shot anyway XP), I wouldn't have been feeling well enough to give poor Steve my full attention. Plus, I got a boatload of homework yesterday that I did all this morning.

I hope everyone who goes has a great time and learns a lot! And then possibly shares some knowledge with me because I need all the help I can get.. (I'm planning on doing a Muppet Show type thing for my senior project next year, so I need this knowledge to put it together)

Barry Lee

Reaction score
There is NO NO NO Video or Photos allowed at the events.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Finally got home and settled after the drive back from this wonderful event. It was an amazing day! Since no pictures were allowed, I'm also going to do my best not to say too much about the content of the lecture and the workshop themselves--I wouldn't want to give too much away for anyone else who's going.

But basically it was great in every way. The Center for Puppetry Arts is amazing--the exhibits, not only the Henson material but the general puppetry collection, were wonderful to behold. Of course, it was spectacular to see the Muppets and other Henson pieces. I've never really gotten the chance before, and it was sort of jaw-dropping.

Steve Whitmire's lecture was really interesting to listen to. He approached the subject of puppetry and character from such an intellectual and philosophical perspective, and though he apologized for running overtime, I easily could have sat and listened to him for another hour.

Then the class was just terrific. Again, I don't want to spoil too much, but getting a chance to work with and learn from such a gifted performer was a dream come true. We did basic work with video puppeteering. I learned a lot, had a great time, and even got a compliment on my Ernie shirt. Made my day.

Thank you, Steve, for being so gracious and generous with your time. What a personable, charming, funny, and talented man you are!

:smile:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
P.S. I also got a chance to meet Barry Lee. First time I've gotten to meet someone from the boards offline. Thanks for being fun to hang out with, Barry!
:big_grin:

Puppetainer

Reaction score
I'm THERE! Just booked for Sunday the 17th! My wife and I will be driving down from Wisconsin to attend. I'm so excited it's quite possible I may burst! It'll be our first time at the Center for Puppetry Arts and then the class and lecture...PLUS we've booked the Life & Legacy of Jim Henson Guided Tour! WOW!

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this info! I'll be only to happy to share my experiences on my return in whatever way I can!