1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Statler & Waldorf on movies.com

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by jgriffee, Feb 25, 2005.

1. ENOUGH WITH THE DISNEY-BASHING ALREADY! IT'S GETTING OUT OF HAND!!!:mad:
  2. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

Are you saying that Disney did pay the creature shop what they wanted and that they did not change to a cheaper company that doesn't seem to make very good puppets? It's not bashing if it's true. You can't make everyone love Disney and the choices they have made. If you're going to have a forum you have to expect people to disagree about things.
  3. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

That was fun and FUNNY!! I loved the skits on this show. VERY VERY GOOD!

Welcome back, Sam Eagle.

As far as the characters: From TMS Days. Looks like there were extra bags under Waldorf's eyes. They just seemed really puffy now for sure.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire/stage/images/statlerwaldorf270.jpg

As far as I know, Puppet Heap outbid the JHC for rights to build the puppets. Other than that news there hasn't been any new news.
  4. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

That's my favorite pic of Waldorf!!! Have always loved that one.

Yeah, they made them extra puffy or something. Are you with me on the crazy-angle of his eyes? Looks a little creepy. Maybe they're getting ready for Halloween. :rolleyes:
  5. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

I do hope that we see more known characters return, even if they arel ike the monsyter from last time. Stuff like that reminds us that these are in fact muppets.
  6. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

I don't know, I kinda like the extra bags and the slight lack of focus in the eyes. It does remind me of how Waldorf looked in the old days--there's been something almost too perfected about the puppet for a while, and it's nice to see him looking a little more rough around the edges.
  7. MuppetMarc

MuppetMarc New Member

I don't think its just his eyes, I think his head has kind of changed shape. It seems to go at an angle instead of sphere-ish.
  8. thefroglives

thefroglives New Member

maybe its botox or lack there of....
  9. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

The latest episode of From The Balcony was... meh. It was kind of short and not very funny. Oh well.

I did like when they were showing the new headlines and one was:

"TRUE AMERICANA"
    -Sam the Eagle

(or something close to that lol)
  10. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Haven't watched 'em in awhile, but here's my take:

Episode 34: Very funny script, those two movie pitch guys were a bit annoying, but at least it was funny. The new Waldorf looks Asian, ha ha! Who's doing Waldorf and Statler again? Statler's been good from the get go and Waldorf's coming along well. Well... well enough anyway, IMHO these are two characters that have been replaced since the originals that sound nothing like the originals, even when Dave and Jerry did them. I guess two grumpy old men are harder to impersonate then thought.

Episode 33: What the heck was that? It didn't make any sense! Sam however was amazing! Who was that? It sounded like Frank!

Episode 32: It's weird that Statler is funnier then Waldorf in this one, he really made me laugh with talking about the Rock and his report card. The problem is that he's more like Will Ferrel then Statler. I really don't care for the Film Crew Theatre, but this was entertaining none the less. I liked that they used Luncheon Counter monster just as a bit part, actually, I think any monster or animal Muppet would be welcome over all these whatnots.

Episode 31: That was hardcore! Waldorf looked like Sonny Bono! Lol! The sketches in between with Ted Thomas and George Lucas and then Woody Allen were mildly funny, but enough with the whatnots already! Anyway, S & W were excellent, very funny and well done.

Episode 30: ROFL! Very good! Birds in a Shower caught me so off guard, I started laughing so hard. The Portugese bit was also great. The only downside is that I guess it's too difficult to get Steve for Bean Bunny, he'd have been perfect in that Bunnies in a Hot Air Balloon spoof.

Episode 29: Short and sweet, but a little lite in the humor. This is the kind of episode that makes me think "Eh, at least they're doin' stuff." That Tom Cruise Muppet is growin' on me though. ;)

Overall: Pretty funny indeed. The writing and puppetry has really picked up since I last watched and seems to be getting better slowly but surely.
    Um, but aren't they supposed to review movies? :p
  11. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I think the Statler voice is okay. More Jerry Nelson than Richard Hunt, and I've always preferred Richard.

Waldorf's really pretty good!

I think it's still Victor Yerrid (Waldorf) and Drew Massey (Statler). Known to Greg the Bunny fans as Tardy the Turtle and Count Blah. :p
  12. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Oh okay, thanks. What episode did they officially take over, and are they now the permanent voices for :sleep: & :boo: or for just From The Balcony?
  13. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I think they're just for From Teh Balcony. They took over way back in episode nine.

Speaking of which, looking back at some of the older episodes, there are some where I guess Drew's voice does sound pretty close to the Richard Statler. The time I really didn't like the voice was in episode 33.

I don't know how many of you have watched Greg the Bunny, but Statler sounds alot like Rochester Rabbit. HA!
  14. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Anyway, I'm pretty sure they are only the performers for this show, because Bill Barretta was still doing some performances on there shortly after they started. I just think they couldn't afford Steve and Dave for a free web show. :)

... just a theory.
  15. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

As to whether Victor and Drew are permanent replacements, that's a big open question right now. V & D have also appeared as :boo: and :sleep: on ESPN's Big Sports Movie on Sundays, but Disney still credits Steve and Dave as the "official" performers.

As for who played what and when, all you need is the FtB episode guide on the Muppet Wiki:

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/From_the_Balcony

Hope that helps! :)
  16. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Thank you, Chilly!
  17. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Muppet Wiki is turning out to be a WONDERFUL fan resource!! Was it Danny who started that, Chilly, or who? I deliver wonderous Kudos of appreciation to its creator.
  18. BradFraggle

BradFraggle Member

It was started by Danny Horn, Scott Hanson and Peter Papazoglou in December 2005.
  19. pepestarr

pepestarr New Member

I was just wondering it said Pepe was performed by Massey in the test pilot episode? Did anyone see this and if so what was the performance of Pepe like?
  20. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

Hmm, good question. I saw it at the time, but can no longer remember if it was Victor or Drew playing Pepe. Anyone else?

As for how the performance was, it was like most anything on FtB: not terrible, but definitely not the real thing.