Star Trek

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Deep Space Nine is my favorite Star Trek series as well...

Here's what my brother has to say:

"Oh god... I downloaded "Everyone's Free to Profit" (by The Great Luke Ski) and it reminded me how much i miss DS9"

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
trekkie1701E said:
The ops officer is responsible coordinating the various departments on the ship. The science officers responsibility is to provide scientific info to the captain.

I need a life... :smile:
i realize that the ops officer does coordinate with other department heads on the ship, but the ops officer also does provide science information a lot. harry kim and data did a lot throughout both tng and voyager...

*by the way, data was going to be the science officer on the enterprise but producers didn't like how the blue uniform and the gold skin were going together, so they made data the operations officer*..neat little info i found..

ryan

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
But if you get rid of the ops officer (whose actual title is Operations Manager; as listed in the Star Trek Encyclopedia), would it make sense for the science officer to watch over departments?

Ops is in charge of operations. Science is in charge of science. Let me also point out that science officers oversee scientific investigations.

Beauregard

Reaction score
And T'Pol is great. (Dad always calls here Topple though, bah!)

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
trekkie1701E said:
But if you get rid of the ops officer (whose actual title is Operations Manager; as listed in the Star Trek Encyclopedia), would it make sense for the science officer to watch over departments?

Ops is in charge of operations. Science is in charge of science. Let me also point out that science officers oversee scientific investigations.
i didn't want the operations officer to leave in the first place!!!! my point was that in the tng series, they never had a science officer in the senior staff and i fail to see the point of having science officer as a senior officer, that and the helm officer.

i'm just used to the regular senior staff picard had like first officer, counselor, chief medical officer, chief engineer, operations officer, and chief of security.

ryan

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
OK, fair enough. I actually think having a science officer is a good idea, but that's just me. Picard & Crew do just fine without one, though; so I do agree that it's not "absolutely" necessary.
Still, I think having one is a good idea. But as I said, that's just me.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
That's right - no Science Officer. They just have a shrink in a short skirt.

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
You know, I always though that was one of the dumbest yet most hilarious moves in Star Trek TNG: having Counselor Troi wear a short skirt.

On a starship; in the future; that's just not right :crazy:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
troi and crusher wore much tighter clothing than the rest of the regulars on tng. heck, look at 7 of 9.....now that's some tight stuff she has on her.

ryan

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
I meant the skirt. I liked Troi's full piece uniform, but the skirt was laughable.