SST Ghetto/Bling-Bling Shirts

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In watching Big Bird's appearance on Jimmy Kimmel, and Jimmy presenting Big Bird with "the original notorious B.I.G." bling-bling of a madallion, it got me to realizing, has anyone noticed how "ghetto" SST's gone in recent years?

Look at all the t-shirts for example! I actually have a few of these t-shirts myself, and whenever I wear them in public, I swear people get a kick out of them!

- One shirt I have is dark brown in color, with a distressed design on the front with much of the Muppet cast (MINUS Elmo actually), with caption that reads "I WAS RAISED ON THE STREET". Used to have a picture of me in it, but not anymore.
- Another shirt I have is black, with a big :insatiable: gracing the front, with a shining blue "COOKIE" caption at the bottom... here's me in the shirt; not the best look of it, but it gives you a bit of an idea.
- Another black t-shirt has a huge illustration of :grouchy:'s face (looks kind of spray-painted), and he's sporting an orange bandana, and a huge glittery necklace (and yeah, it's actually glittery on the shirt) with his initials.
- Yet another black shirt, it has :batty: proudly standing in front of stacks of money, with stylized caption reading "COUNTIN' MY STACKS".

I've seen even more of course, including one similar to the Oscar shirt, only it has a bad@ $ looking Bert with a large 'B' necklace, and a caption reading "What up, B?". Then of course, there's the "S-Unit: The Original Hood" shirt as well.

Any of you guys have any of these awesome shirts?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:stick_out_tongue: I wore an Oscar shirt in my old Facebook profile pic. :grouchy:

It's the parody shirts that I don't care for. Sesame's cool enough without needing the negative parts of the gansta connotation in the black market rip-offs.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I have a brown shirt with a bunch of the gang in a car and it says "Rolling with my homies". Kind of cute. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
oh, you mean like This Bert, this Cookie, and This Count oh, and this completely illfitting Oscar...
The Bert one at least looks cool from an Ironic persepctive... and the Cookie Monster one would work better if it said "What more can Me Say?" (certainly not the first time he wore gold chains)

It's the parody shirts that I don't care for. Sesame's cool enough without needing the negative parts of the gansta connotation in the black market rip-offs.
Which one? The poorly photo-manipulated one where they're all holding shivs and have fake eyebrows on them? or the ones that were the lame series of gangsta culture knockoffs of popular products? never cared for the latter at all. I've seen really bad Popeye and cereal mascot ones I don't care for... they're like Wacky packs with no humor put into them.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I've got this shirt which I think is awesome!lol- Oscar will teach you a word or two on Sesame Street.:grouchy:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
oh, you mean like This Bert, this Cookie, and This Count oh, and this completely illfitting Oscar...
The Bert one at least looks cool from an Ironic persepctive... and the Cookie Monster one would work better if it said "What more can Me Say?" (certainly not the first time he wore gold chains)

Which one? The poorly photo-manipulated one where they're all holding shivs and have fake eyebrows on them? or the ones that were the lame series of gangsta culture knockoffs of popular products? never cared for the latter at all. I've seen really bad Popeye and cereal mascot ones I don't care for... they're like Wacky packs with no humor put into them.
Yeah, some of those unofficial ones are just so tired. These are okay. I'm not a fan of gansta culture so I'll pass. My question is this - why don't they have some of these stellar graphic likenesses for the regularly licensed product? I'd be hard-pressed to see a better drawn representation of Oscar on a shirt!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Jamie, I don't know what you're talking about "black market" stuff, these shirts have been seen in Walmart, and you can order them through catalogues.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Jamie, I don't know what you're talking about "black market" stuff, these shirts have been seen in Walmart, and you can order them through catalogues.
There are some shirts out there that *are* black market that contain a more R rated Sesame-Thug style. They've been out for years. I think it was those that inspired these real ones.