SST Fan Fic: The Search for Bert

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Ok, I've NEVER written a fan fic before, but thought I'd take a crack at it. PLEASE be kind in any reviews, I really hope you all like it. I'll be posting a chapter at a time for now.

Synopsis: Bert and Ernie have their worst fight ever and Bert runs away to join the circus. Will Ernie and his friends be able to find him and bring him back home to Sesame Street? This story takes place around the 1980’s, pre-Elmo when David and Olivia were still cast members.

Chapter One:

There was always something going on at Sesame Street. Kids were always swinging on the tire swing. David was always serving up milkshakes at Hooper’s Store. Oscar the Grouch was always telling people to scram and get away from his trash can. Big Bird and Snuffy were always playing with some kids. And down in the basement apartment of 123 Sesame Street, Ernie was always doing something to annoy his roommate Bert. Bert and Ernie were complete opposites, yet still best friends. But everyday, almost like clockwork, the boisterous Ernie would do something that would slightly annoy the anal retentive Bert. Sometimes Ernie would annoy Bert by keeping him up late at night asking him questions or counting sheep out loud. Sometimes he’d annoy Bert by eating the last cookie in the cookie jar, making a mess of his laundry or losing Bert's favorite paper clips or bottle caps. Bert would usually blow up at Ernie, but Ernie always apologized and they would make up and be friends again.

One nice sunny day, Bert decided he wanted to go and get a milkshake from Hooper’s Store. He carefully counted out enough pennies to pay for the milkshake. He’d been thinking about it all week and couldn’t wait to get to Hooper’s Store. Ernie wasn’t home, so Bert decided to go and enjoy his milkshake in peace and quiet by himself. With pennies in hand Bert skipped up the stairs of the apartment and then down the stairs to the street.

Ernie had just agreed to race Grover from Big Bird’s nest to Hooper’s Store. “Ernie, I bet that I, Grover, am faster than you!” said Grover. “Nope, I think I can beat you!” said Ernie. “Ok, on your mark, get set, GO!” yelled Big Bird. Ernie and Grover started running towards Hooper’s Store. Ernie didn’t see Bert skipping down the stairs of the apartment and just as Bert reached the bottom of the stairs, Ernie collided with him. Bert’s pennies went flying everywhere and both of them were knocked to the ground. Grover didn’t see this and kept running to the store. "I win!" he yelled and everyone ran down to congratulate him.

“Bert! Are you ok?” asked Ernie as he stood up. “Ernie! Look what you did, you made me lose all my pennies that I’d saved up all week for a milkshake!!!” Bert shouted angrily. “Bert, I’m really sorry, let me help you pick them up,” said Ernie. “Ernie, you’re always ruining everything I do, you’re such a nuisance!” complained Bert. “I know, you’re right,” said Ernie sadly. Both boys started crawling on the ground looking for the pennies. Meanwhile, Oscar the Grouch had heard everything from down in his trashcan and decided to pop up and stir up a little trouble. He loved it when people didn’t get along. Actually, he hated it, which for a grouch equals love.

“Hey Ernie,” whispered Oscar. Ernie stood up and walked over to the can. “What do you want Oscar, I’m kind of busy right now,” said Ernie. “You shouldn’t let Bert push you around like that. It’s not like it was your fault. You didn’t know he was coming down the stairs,” said Oscar. Meanwhile Bert was still muttering about how annoying and irresponsible Ernie was. “I suppose you might be right,” pondered Ernie. “Are you kidding? Of course I’m right! You should learn to stand up to Bert. Tell him how you really feel,” said Oscar. “You know what? You’re right!” said Ernie, “Hey Bert, it’s not like I knew you’d be coming down the stairs.” “Well, you could’ve watched out front of you a little better. You’re always messing stuff up!” yelled Bert. Ernie looked back at Oscar who shook his hand at him in a “go on” kind of gesture. “You know something Bert, I might be a little clumsy sometimes or a little forgetful and I know I’m messy, but you’re not so perfect either!” yelled Ernie. “Ernie, I’m just tired of these things always happening! You never give me a moments peace” responded Bert who had now also stood up and was facing Ernie. “Well, you know what Bert, if I’m messing up your life so much, maybe you shouldn’t live with me anymore! I thought we were friends but I guess I was wrong. I’m tired of you always getting mad at me. You’re mean Bert!” screamed Ernie. “Ernie, I’m just trying to teach you a little responsibility. You have to be responsible for your actions!” exclaimed Bert. “Well I don’t need you to do that Bert. I mean it, why don’t you just leave!” yelled Ernie. “MAYBE I WILL!” screamed Bert and stomped off toward Hooper Store. “GOOD!” yelled Ernie and stomped off in the other direction. It was amazing that no one had noticed the two friends fighting. The only witness was Oscar who chuckled to himself and disappeared back into his trashcan. “That was a rotten fight. It was great. Heh, heh,” he said. His work was done.

christyb

Reaction score
Beth,
Oohhh!!! What a wonderful beginning. I know you're sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for reactions. Here's my beginning two cents. This is wonderful. For a first shot at fanfiction it was great! You have a great sense of detail that keeps your audience right where you want them to be. My only suggestion is this. When the different characters speak put their dialogue on seperate lines. It'd be easer to see who is saying what. I can't wait for the next installment!!! :smile:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
christyb said:
Beth,
Oohhh!!! What a wonderful beginning. I know you're sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for reactions. Here's my beginning two cents. This is wonderful. For a first shot at fanfiction it was great! You have a great sense of detail that keeps your audience right where you want them to be. My only suggestion is this. When the different characters speak put their dialogue on seperate lines. It'd be easer to see who is saying what. I can't wait for the next installment!!! :smile:
Thanks Christy! I kind of thought it would be hard to read, I wasn't sure how long it would be, but now I see it's not too bad, so I will break it up easier for chapter two!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Ok, here's chapter two, took Christy's suggestion, so hopefully it's easier to read! I won't update again until Monday most likely. Enjoy!

Chapter Two:

Ernie walked slowly down the street and started thinking about what happened.

“Oscar was right,” he thought, “I let Bert boss me around a lot and yell at me all the time.”

He kept walking past Big Bird’s nest, past the library all the way down to the park. He sat down on a bench.

“But, Bert is still a good friend and I know he just isn’t very patient. That’s why he always gets so mad. We always make up and everything is fine. That’s just part of who we are,” Ernie thought some more. The more Ernie thought about it, the more he realized that Oscar was just trying to get the two of them to fight. He really didn’t want Bert to leave. He thought maybe they could talk about it and make it better. So, he got up from the bench and ran home.

Meanwhile, Bert had managed to collect up all his pennies, so he went to Hooper’s Store.

“What can I get you today Bert?” asked David.

“Umm, I guess a vanilla milkshake” said Bert quietly.

“Is anything wrong? Where’s Ernie?” asked David.

“Nothing’s wrong! Ernie is just at home,” said Bert. He wasn’t sure why he didn’t want to talk about the fight they had just had. David was a good listener and could probably help Bert figure out a way to make up with Ernie, but Bert just didn’t want to talk about it. He just kept hearing Ernie’s words “Maybe you should just leave” over and over again. He sighed and began drinking his milkshake. Maybe Ernie would be better off without him.

Ernie ran up the stairs of 123 Sesame Street and down to the apartment he shared with Bert. He burst open through the door.

“Bert! I’m back, let’s talk about what happened, I don’t want you to leave!” yelled Ernie.

But, Bert hadn’t returned yet.

“Hmmm, Bert must have decided to take a walk like I did and cool off. Maybe I’ll just wait here in this chair and then as soon as he gets home we can talk,” thought Ernie as he sat in the big cushy easy chair. He turned on the television and began watching a game show. However, after all the excitement of the day, from the race to the fight, he was feeling a bit sleepy and soon dozed off.

Bert finished his milkshake and thanked David, then got up and left Hooper’s Store. He walked over to the tire swing and sat down. He just felt so depressed. He couldn’t believe Ernie felt the way that he did. He didn’t realize that he had been so mean to Ernie all this time.

“I should just give Ernie what he wants. I should just leave. But, where would I go?” thought Bert out loud. All of a sudden a pigeon landed on Bert’s shoulder.

“Oh hey Bernice. I’m not in the mood to play right now,” said Bert to the pigeon he loved. The pigeon wouldn’t give up. She could sense that Bert was unhappy and wanted to cheer him up. She cooed a few times and suddenly a whole bunch of pigeons arrived.

“Hey guys, I just told Bernice, I don’t want to play,” said Bert.

The pigeons continued to look at him and started dancing the famous pigeon dance he had taught them a long time ago. He couldn’t help but smile.

“Ok, I’ll dance with you guys,” Bert said getting up and beginning to dance. He began to forget about his troubles and was even laughing. He didn’t notice that he had attracted an audience.

“Bravo, Bravo! That was amazing!” said a man in a red coat with tails and a top hat, causing the birds to scatter.

“Huh? This? It was nothing really,” said Bert.

“Did you teach them to do that?” asked the man.

“Yeah, I taught them to dance, a few of them know how to play checkers. I like pigeons, I guess I have a special way with them,” said Bert.

“You sure do! Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Amazing Al, I run Amazing Al’s Circus. We were just passing through town and let me say, we could use an act like that!” said Amazing Al.

“Really?” asked Bert. He wasn’t sure how he felt about this guy.

“Oh yes. There would be big money in it. People would be thrilled to see common birds doing amazing things!” said Amazing Al.

“I don’t know, I mean this is my home…” started Bert, but then he remembered Ernie’s words “JUST LEAVE.”

“I promise you will be FAMOUS beyond your wildest dreams!” tempted Al.

“Well….maybe I could do that,” said Bert sounding more convinced.

“Of course you can! I will make you famous and you will get to see the world!” said Al.

“What if my pigeons don’t want to come with?” asked Bert.

“I will get you some new pigeons! You’re so talented, you can probably train any pigeon. So, it’s settled. You go pack and meet me here in a half hour,” said Al.

Bert thought for another moment and then said “You have a deal!” and then shook the Amazing Al’s hand. He ran back to the apartment, hoping Ernie wasn’t going to be back yet. He figured Ernie was so steamed he wouldn’t be back for awhile. He was surprised to find Ernie sleeping in the chair with the t.v. on.

“Oh well, at least I don’t have to face him,” thought Bert as he quietly moved through the apartment putting things in a bag.

“I’ll show him. I’m going to be famous and then he’ll be sorry he ever told me to leave. He’ll be better off without me,” thought Bert. He decided he should at least leave Ernie a note even though he figured Ernie wouldn’t care. He’d probably be happy.

The note said “Dear Ernie. I thought about what you said and you’re right. So, as you wished, I’m leaving the apartment and Sesame Street all together for fame and fortune with Amazing Al’s Circus. I’ll be training pigeons to do amazing feats as one of the acts. I’m sorry about how things turned out. –Bert”

He left the note on the television where Ernie would be sure to see it. He walked to the door with his bag and looked back for a moment. With a tear in his eye he looked at Ernie and whispered “Goodbye old buddy, old pal.” Then he quietly shut the door and walked away from 123 Sesame Street, his best friend, and the life he once knew.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<spellbound>

more. please.

<blink>

<shakes head fiercely>
dear goodness, another fanfic that I'll be addicted to and completely ignore homework for....... I LOVE IT!
Oh... I already feel terrible for what Ernie's going to find when he wakes up... oh........... oh................
<quivering chin>
..... I'm not crying, I'm not crying, I'm not crying.... <sniff> yet....... :frown:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
TogetherAgain said:
<spellbound>

more. please.

<blink>

<shakes head fiercely>
dear goodness, another fanfic that I'll be addicted to and completely ignore homework for....... I LOVE IT!
Oh... I already feel terrible for what Ernie's going to find when he wakes up... oh........... oh................
<quivering chin>
..... I'm not crying, I'm not crying, I'm not crying.... <sniff> yet....... :frown:
Thanks! I was almost crying as I wrote it (how dare anyone break up our beloved Ernie and Bert duo!) but I promise it will get happier, cause I couldn't handle it being sad! New chapter will be up on Monday!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Chapter Three

All righty, here's chapter three. Keep letting me know what you think, it can only make it better!

Chapter Three:

Ernie woke up and found it had gotten dark. He suddenly felt panicked, but wasn’t sure why at first. Then he remembered he had been waiting for Bert. If it was now dark outside, Bert must be home! He figured Bert probably went straight to bed. So, he raced out of his chair and into their bedroom where he found Bert’s bed neatly made as usual.

“Hmm, that’s odd,” thought Ernie, “I wonder what time it is?” He looked at the clock which said 11:00 pm.

“Bert should be home right now, it’s really late,” thought Ernie, now growing worried. He left the bedroom and started looking all over the apartment.

“Bert? Bert? Where are you? I’m really sorry I told you to leave before! Stop hiding!” yelled Ernie as he looked in closets, the bathroom and the kitchen. Finally he went back into the t.v. room and noticed something was on the t.v. He walked over and found Bert’s note.

“What?! The circus? Bert…left?” Ernie thought to himself. He couldn’t believe it. How could Bert be gone?

Meanwhile, Bert had fallen asleep in the wagon that was transporting him and the rest of The Amazing Al’s Circus crew. They were heading west, far away from Sesame Street and even leaving New York. He was dreaming of all the fame and fortune he would receive when the wagon suddenly halted to a stop.

“All right, everyone out and you know what to do!” shouted Amazing Al.

“I’m sorry sir, but I don’t know what to do,” said Bert.

“Oh, that’s right, you’re the new guy. Ok, well everyone works on unloading supplies and setting up the circus. No one sits out, everyone works,” explained the Amazing Al.

“Um, shouldn’t we get some sleep, it’s the middle of the night!” exclaimed Bert.

“Nope, no one rests until EVERYTHING is unloaded and set up,” Amazing Al said with a bit of a sneer in his voice.

“Oh, ok, I understand,” said Bert starting to feel a little nervous about what he had gotten himself into. But everyone else was working, so he figured he had better pitch in. Maybe it wouldn’t take that long and they would still get some rest.

Back on Sesame Street, Ernie was getting increasingly scared and concerned after reading Bert’s note. He thought about it for a little bit and figured the best thing to do was to go for help. He forgot how late it was and ran upstairs to Gordon and Susan’s apartment. He banged on the door.

Gordon and Susan happened to be awake because their newly adopted infant son Miles was having difficulty sleeping.

“I’ll get the door. It’s probably Olivia. She probably heard Miles and is coming to offer some help,” said Gordon and left Miles’ bedroom to answer the door. Instead of his sister he found Ernie standing there.

“Ernie! It’s really late, what are you doing here?” asked Gordon.

“I’m really sorry Gordon, but Bert is gone and I don’t know what to do!” cried Ernie.

Susan emerged from Miles’ bedroom after finally getting him to fall asleep. “Is everything ok?” she asked.

“Ernie says Bert is gone. Why don’t you come in Ernie,” said Gordon.

They led him into the apartment and had him sit on the couch.

“Now Ernie, what do you mean Bert is gone?” asked Susan in her comforting mother voice.

“We had this horrible fight!” exclaimed Ernie.

“Why don’t you start from the beginning and tell us what happened,” said Gordon.

Ernie told them the entire story from the race to waking up and finding Bert gone. Finally he read them Bert’s note.

“Hmm, can I see that note?” asked Gordon.

Ernie handed Gordon the note. “Well, it sure looks like he’s run away,” said Gordon. Ernie got a concerned look on his face.

“Don’t worry Ernie, we’re going to track him down and ask him to come home,” said Gordon.

“Ok, let’s go right now!” said Ernie.

“Hold on, it’s late, I’m sure they couldn’t have gotten real far. Let’s all get a good night’s sleep and I’ll do some checking in the morning. There may be a phone number where we can reach him,” said Gordon.

“Oh, ok,” said Ernie sounding disappointed.

“Ernie, would you like to stay here with us tonight? I know how upset you are and I’m sure you don’t want to be alone,” suggested Susan.

“Yes, I would. Thank you,” said Ernie.

Susan got some blankets and pillows from a closet and helped Ernie make up the couch, gave him a kiss and then her and Gordon headed for bed.

“We’ll find him and I’m sure he’s fine,” said Gordon to Susan as they went to sleep.

Ernie tried to sleep but couldn’t. He got up and went over to the window and looked at the stars. “Good night Buddy Bert, wherever you are. I hope you know I’m really sorry and I hope you come home soon,” said Ernie. He went back over to the couch and after awhile he finally fell asleep.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
oh, poor Ernie! poor Bert! oh, I just have a terrible feeling about Amazing Al. I have a feeling he's going to work poor Bert to the bone, and not give him enough sleep, and... and... OH!!!!!!!!!
oh just tell me what happens next, come on, please, tell me more! ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

... I'm such a beggar.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
More coming soon, I promise! (and if it starts to sound a little like Follow that Bird, I apologize)

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
oh that's ok, I LOVE follow that bird!
and I'm actually cooking a fanfic in my head- it's not any where near being ready to post- but it's definately a crazy mixture of my insane thoughts, the muppet movie and muppets take manhattan. So yeah, I don't mind that. I just want more. :stick_out_tongue: