SpongeBob SquarePants

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
It's not really a matter of funny or not. It's more of a matter of being repetitive and getting less entertaining with every instance. Now there have been some solid episodes with that plot (the one where Plankton brainwashes Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, and Spongebob has to force feed them Patties and bran flakes to digest them, for example). But it really seems they've thrown aside other characters just to keep using the same plotline.

Still love the show, though. It actually sucks that there's rarely been any really good collectors style merchandise of the show since it's been on. There was that Jaxx Pacific figure line from 4 years ago. Then there are actual collector figures out there, but you can only find them intermittently at comic shops. And that's like the ONLY time I've seen a Mermaid Man figure. Seriously... why no MM and BB? Not even in the dozens of kid's meal promotions.
I meant entertaining. Speaking of which, I hope they use some older characters sometime, ones who were put on a bus, like Flatts, who really was minor. Kill Plankton already. Karen without plankton would be interesting.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Apparently the writers for the upcoming SB movie also wrote Monsters Vs. Aliens and both Kung Fu Panda movies.

That's good, I guess. Then again, they also wrote Chipwrecked...

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Well, that could be a good or a bad thing. The first 3 movies you listed are good, but chipwrecked? That is questionable.

Rugratskid

Reaction score
Well, that could be a good or a bad thing. The first 3 movies you listed are good, but chipwrecked? That is questionable.
I'm a very big Alvin and the Chipmunks fan, so I've seen Chipwrecked a few times. It wasn't the worst movie ever made, but it wasn't great either. The pun in the title made me want to rip my hair out. The movie itself wasn't too different from the first 2, except that there's a new (and really cliche in my opinion) character. Other than the new character, everything is pretty much the same. I also HEARD that FOX wanted the script changed a lot from the original, so that could be part of why it was so bad. Sorry for going off topic.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Like I said before... the third Chipmunks movie at least had Dave being genuinely affectionate of the Chipmunks instead of barely tolerating them at best. Seriously, Jason Lee didn't want to be in those movies and it shows.

Anyway, Rugrats had 3 movies by the time SB had one with one in development purgatory. I'm looking forward to seeing another Spongebob movie that's hopefully better than the TV series at this time. I mean, look at the HUGE quality of the Simpsons movie compared to the not that great season that was playing on TV at the time. They can do it.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cgi/firs...rhero-feature-sponge-out-of-water-101963.html This sounds "meh". I absolutely hate how they made it F HI, and the superhero part makes me groan. Also, I know now that this will absolutely be inferior to the original feature, and doesn't sound Spongebob-ish enough. What do you think? It could be better if I didn't have any CGI, and Sandy as a Superhero instead of Mr. Krabs, who is essentially a villain. I also hope Plankton isn't involved, if he is, I would be VERY MAD. On the good side, it will still mostly be 2D.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Actually, Sponge out of Water doesn't look TOO bad. It looks "okay".And, I meant CGI , not F HI.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Superhero angle seems logical. Think of it this way. A theatrical movie based on a cartoon that's been running for 15 years, that already had one major motion picture. They're going to have to get gimmicky to convince kids and parents to pay 10 bucks a piece (or more) to see something that's... well been on for 15 years and isn't exactly hard to watch. I mean, this is a show that has a marathon a day. The CGI thing seems to be that added gimmicky element, clearly intended for 3-D showings.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Yeah, I think it's at least new and interesting that Spongebob is gonna be in CGI for the 1st time. That made me think of what the commercials could say:" See Bikini Bottom in 3D FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!" And, the superhero part isn't what I'm compaining about. It's a gimmick alright, but at least it's tolerable. The movie probably will be good, just not what I excpected. I think I was surprised at first, but realized it was actually decent, not like the New Spongebob. I pretty much just said "What I previously said isn't what I meant".

Last edited:

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I like how the superhero Krabs is a robot, though. Nice nod to the "Imitation Krabs" and "Krab Borg" episodes.