SpongeBob SquarePants

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know what you mean. And just think, if you plan to keep the show running longer, at least make sure it's up with the times. The title sequence is in serious need of an update. Personally, I find the use of overseas animation pretty commonplace and less effective.
Would you rather it be Flash? I don't trust most animation studios that use it to be of Wander Over Yonder quality. And frankly, with a cartoon with a HIGH level of squash and Stretch, it needs WOY quality. Or at least Teen Titans Go quality. I see Season 16 of Arthur quality.

Still, they could have used the Cee-Lo Green opening from the 10th anniversary special's opening for a season.

Weird. Most people complain when shows update with the times :stick_out_tongue:
That's why most fanbases are impossible to please. That's why everyone's impossible to please. It's an unwinnable situation to complain your favorite show has been on too long then to complain if it was cancelled early, only to complain if there's a reboot/continuation. Oh, and add to "everything new is stupid! Why can't we have [X character] again?" Just baffling, really. And then they complain if they do rerun it, they saw that episode a million times. :rolleyes:

But yeah. I agree the show's been on a little too long. Glad TMNT's doing well, but I don't have faith in Nick giving cartoons their full potential. I mean, even their handling of Fairly Oddparents is... well... odd. They keep renewing the show, then they refuse to show new episodes, splitting up a season to run in the span of years. And that's a show they like.

FunnyBear

Reaction score
Somehow I've never noticed this thread. By the way, BIG SpongeBob fanatic here. Anyway, I do notice the decline of the show, but you do (once in awhile) get a good episode. Now, my favorite season has to be season 3 with the exception of The Sponge Who Could Fly. Season 4 was good too, and for the longest time I thought Krabs Vs. Plankton was Season 3. But the main reason Season 4 was so good was because the new writers took ideas the old writers had, and made them into episodes. Now, season 5 was a good season. Good, not great. You start off with a brilliant episode, Friend or Foe and a couple of good episodes, Breath of Fresh Squidward, The Original Fry Cook, Krabs à La Mode, The Two Faces of Squidward, and a episode where there's a lesson Blackened Sponge. But then we get bad episodes like Night Light, the cringe worthy Fungus Among Us, Good Ol' Whatshisname, and Pest of The West. But then there's Atlantis SquarePantis, now I like the episode, but the advertising makes it look like a regular episode.
But then we have my least favorite season, Season 6. There are few decent episodes but I like House Fancy (minus the toenail scene), The Card, and Truth or Square. But then we have episodes like To SquarePants Or Not To SquarePants (What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?) where the plot is taken from a CHAPTER BOOK and then modified to make the episode worse. The chapter book is called For The Love Of Bubbles and it came out before the episode. The book is much more enjoyable and I'd wish that the writers just turned the book into an episode, not making many changes. They did this with Dear Vikings too. The book is called The Pirates Of Bikini Bottom and the book was better than the episode. In the episode SpongeBob goes "What's a Viking?". Really, have these new writers seen the episode Bubble Buddy? In the beginning of Bubble Buddy, SpongeBob wakes up and announces that it's Leif Ericson Day, a viking. Skipping the next few seasons, because I'm getting tired of looking at the season boxes.
Now a few note worthy episodes, good and bad
Accidents Will Happen (Season 8, Good)
A Pal For Gary (Season 7, BAD!!!!)
It's A SpongeBob Christmas! (Season 8, Good)
Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up is Go! (Season 8, BAD! AVOID AT ALL COSTS)
Chum Fricassee (Season 8, Good)
Eek, A Urchin! (Season 9, Bad)
Jailbreak! (Season 9, Good)
Little Yellow Book (Season 9, Good to me, meh to most)
It Came From Goo Lagoon (Season 9, GOOD!)
Plankton's Pet (Season 9, Good)
With the new movie coming up, it looks like many old writers are coming back.
Hopefully, that will spark interest in people to give the show another chance.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
*minor bump*

An episode called "Kenny the Cat" aired a couple months back, and it spawned one of the most disgusting images I've ever seen...

This image is pretty much everything wrong with post-movie SB in a nutshell.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hey! It's apparently Tom Kenny's Birthday today. Found that out on a Transformers site, but ...hey, Spongebob thread got bumped, might as well add that.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I looked up "Tom Kenny Birthday" and I was met with these suggestions:
  • Is Tom Kenny Dead
  • Did Tom Kenny Die
  • Tom Kennedy
  • Tom Kenny Death Hoax
  • Tom Kenny Died 2014
Good grief...

mr3urious

Reaction score
AquaGGR said:
This image is pretty much everything wrong with post-movie SB in a nutshell.
I still think the SpengBab face and any of the faces in "Face Freeze" are way worse.

AquaGGR said:
I looked up "Tom Kenny Birthday" and I was met with these suggestions:
  • Is Tom Kenny Dead
  • Did Tom Kenny Die
  • Tom Kennedy
  • Tom Kenny Death Hoax
  • Tom Kenny Died 2014
Good grief...
Gotta love those online celebrity death hoaxes. :rolleyes:

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's absolutely gorgeous compared to Guardians of the Highlands (look up "Worst CGI movies in recent history" thread)... heck, that's not even a quarter as gruesome as the best looking parts of Foodfight.

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
I still think the SpengBab face and any of the faces in "Face Freeze" are way worse.
I feel your pain, man.. I've seen that episode, and, let me just say, I now understand why some of the episodes are rated Y-7, and the rest are Y. Let's just say that it gave a couple people in my family nightmares.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I feel your pain, man.. I've seen that episode, and, let me just say, I now understand why some of the episodes are rated Y-7, and the rest are Y. Let's just say that it gave a couple people in my family nightmares.
Still think it's bull the show's marketed to preschoolers. Even the earliest episodes are kinda too intense for little kids. Maybe it's that shoe tying episode. That seems like it comes right off a preschool series.

I just watched a bunch of first season episodes, and the look is downright strange compared to later ones. They look more like drawings, with thinner, pencilly outlines. The animation is...well, best I can explain it is "gooey." And Patrick's like a lighter, less eye pleasing dull pink instead of the bright salmon he is now. It's just weird to watch these old ones for the visual aesthetic.