Spammers at MC...

Vincent L

Reaction score
michaelpm's signature. I think users who's avatar is the Facebook default avatar is more spammy (is that a word? :stick_out_tongue:).

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
michaelpm's signature. I think users who's avatar is the Facebook default avatar is more spammy (is that a word? :stick_out_tongue:).
I think for you instead of it saying "Well-Known Member" it should say "Muppet Central Spam Officer." Your good at catching these guys! Lol!

Vincent L

Reaction score
It's quite simple: visit the new members section every day. And there's already a word for Spam Officer: Moderator.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Yeah but you catch the ones that mods don't always see. And I never really venture into the "new members" section.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Kills off two more spambots.

Funny, but Vincent's method is how I became the "new Members" Moderator back in May 2007. After the now first infamous trio of spammers—baba and supermuppet, and then because of their blatent 100% exact copy of Muppet Central which they called Muppet City (I rully hope Phillip and Cindy were able to get a cease and desist order against them demanding they take down that !@#$%^&*() DOWNWITHMC—I would check the list of members who were online whenever I logged on myself. There were names of people I had become friends with or at least knew, and a couple I didn't recognize. When I went in to check those members' profile pages, it would come up with what has become a now unused standard:
Favorite Henson Production: Sam & Friends, because it was the first option in the drop-down menu list.
Interests: Man.
Biography: Man.

So I'd report these idiots to the mod squad, Fozzie Bear and Phillip, as well as Cindy and MuppetQuilter. Eventually, this led to my promotion about five years ago. Unfortunately, besides spambots, I've had to step in and use my general mod powers to deal with other issues like fights and bannings and the such. You should have been here when we got the second overwhelming invasion of spambots from October 2008 to 2010/2011, when we were getting tons of jerks with greeninbox, orangeinbox, pinkinbox, and other variants.

I still keep an eye out for checking all new members who register since I'm no longer getting the notifications of such which would alert me much more immediately if a user's legit or spam these days. Also to my disadvantage, if there are no posts posted, then I really can't do anything until alerts of one being a spambot come in. Sure, I can go to their profile page and I've started doing that, but some don't show up until after I've logged off and gone to sleep, opting to register in the waining hours of the midnight hours (another well-practiced spambot tactic).

So my thanks to Vincent and everybody else who contributes to help us moderators keep the forum clean.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Keeping Muppet Central clean one spammer at a time. Hey that could make for a great commercial. :stick_out_tongue:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Already eliminated that spambot, thanks Vincent.