Spammers at MC...

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I thought you did have to have a certain number of approved posts before you could PM people or reply to PM people sent to you first. At least 10 I thought it was. :confused:
I don't know whether you noticed my post or not Ed. I must have just pulled a ziffle on you.
The reason I say this is I remember a few years ago I PMed some Junior Member to say a random hello and he/she replied in some other thread of mine to say they would have PMed me back but the forum wouldn't allow it until they had 10 posts or however many it was.

The point is if this is so how can spammers manage to send PMes? I suppose perhaps they could possibly make enough posts before they're detected and banned. But I really thought that the first posts they made were invisible until mods approved them and no matter how many they made they wouldn't count officially before approval. When of course they'd be banned anyway.:confused:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Marty... Yes, you did ziffle me. As for your question... I know that all new members' posts do indeed need mod approval before becoming visible to the community at large, and that such becomes no longer necessary after gathering a total of between 3-5. However, I don't think PM sending conforms to the same requirements. But since I rully don't know, I didn't answer. Maybe if you ask Phil you can get a more definite answer.

Hope this helps. :batty:

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah it'd be a great idea to do something about the pm's if possible because this one looked very convincing and may have potentially infected a few people. I don't get why people try to attack forums like this one.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, we'll try to take steps to see this is prevented.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Hi Marty... Yes, you did ziffle me. As for your question... I know that all new members' posts do indeed need mod approval before becoming visible to the community at large, and that such becomes no longer necessary after gathering a total of between 3-5. However, I don't think PM sending conforms to the same requirements. But since I rully don't know, I didn't answer. Maybe if you ask Phil you can get a more definite answer.

Hope this helps. :batty:
Thank you Ed. I've just PMed Phil now.:smile:

unclematt

Reaction score
Its already been taken care of, thanks to Ed or whoever it was on the mod team who banned them, but a PM was sent to lots of us from FORUMTEAM claiming to be the forum admins and saying viruses had been found on computer and to click the link to clean it. Maybe there's a way to only allow people with a certain number of posts to send PM's, as i get quite a lot of spam through them.
I have ever gotten any span through a PM and its not like I never post on here. I think I am here quite a bit.