Sonia Manzano will not be on Sesame Street after Season 45

Cookie Chris

Reaction score
I just found out the news, and Variety is confirming Manzano's departure. While Maria has hardly been used in the recent seasons because of Chris and the younger cast members, I thank Mrs. Manzano for the memories, teaching us the alphabets and numbers, and portraying a positive Hispanic American when outside of Desi Arnaz on I Love Lucy, they were not commonly seen on television.

CherryPizza

Reaction score
The saddest thing about it is that it's nowhere near as sad as it should be. Since the 1990s, the human cast has been increasingly sidelined in favour of gimmicky formats and Muppet material, and young viewers barely have the chance to get to know the humans. Granted, Maria has had more airtime than the other old-time cast members (possibly due to Sonia writing herself into the show more, possibly due to the reality of the ageing cast's availability), but I just don't see how any of the adults would even need a story or explanation for their departure these days.

Sadly, we are long past the era when Will Lee's death led to the greatest, most poignant, most memorable moment in SS history. I can only wonder how may preschoolers even know who Susan and Bob are now. Even though the long-serving cast members have every reason to phase themselves out of the show as they progress in life, are the newer, younger human cast members ever going to have the same significance as the core cast had back in 'the day'?

Yes, I'll be sorry to see Sonia go, but I've been sorrier for a good couple of decades to see the camaraderie from the show's golden era decline.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I did not see this coming. When it was reported that there was a "shake-up" among the human cast, my thought was regarding either Roscoe Orman and/or Dr. Loretta Long, considering that Gordon and Susan don't even live in their own apartment anymore (but then again, neither does Bob, and we know he's still on the show so far).

I'm curious, though, as to how we're losing Sonia, yet keeping Emilio? How are they going to explain this? Maria and Luis's evolving love story was a huge deal for the show, we watched the whole cycle from them falling in love, to getting married, to having Gabi . . . I'd hate to think they're going to divorce Maria and Luis, but maybe they just won't have any explanation. Still seems odd to lose one and keep the other. Then again, we don't see Susan hardly anymore.
Actually, I'd say that this is almost not surprising if you think about it. Her presence in the show was starting to diminish anyway. That can't be a coincidence. While I don't think the casting call that gave us Mando was an intentional replacement of Maria, it's clear they wanted a younger Latino human character as a just in case one of the cast members who were on the show longer wanted to retire. Strange though that they gave her an important role on the show only to utilize it in one more episode and do nothing with it. Sounds like that might be the reason why. If not, that is a big coincidence. I could see them keeping Luis simply by having Maria referred to but never actually being shown on screen. Like Maris.

I believe that SW knows that not every cast member wants to be on the show forever, and that's partially the reason for the shift to younger cast members like Chris and Leela. That said, it's not like age has much to do with cast members leaving. There's a LOT of temporary cast members that lasted only a couple years. Like Gedde Watanabe in his least culturally insensitive 1980's Japanese guy role (kinda makes me guilty to still find "SUPPLIES!!!" and "YOU SO STUPEED!" from UHF funny. Who am I kidding? UHF is awesome).

Erine81981

Reaction score
I saw it on Good Morning America and couldn't see it happening. Good to know that she would consider coming back for 50th and a appearances ever now and then. Going to miss that face around the street. I wonder how Big Bird or Oscar will take it or even the other neighbors. It would be pretty cool to see an episode about Maria leaving for a long time or even knowing she would be back later on.

But I am happy she is finally getting a rest and hoping for the best of her. We love you Sonia Manzano! Keep up the good work and hope to get to see you soon in person (if I ever get to) or on screen.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Wow......It's hard to imagine Sesame Street without Maria- she has been such a mainstay over the years- especially with her repartee with Oscar:grouchy: and her mother-like friendship to Big Bird. Maria has long been one of my favorite characters of the human characters (well, I love all of them of course.) Sonia Manzano will definitely be missed on the show:frown::sympathy: but she does deserve to enjoy her retirement. Congratulations to her for 45 years at the same job! That's a huge rarity in today's world.:wisdom:
On a more practical side, I wonder what this will mean for Emilio Delgado's involvement, if anything. I suppose Luis can still show up and just mention that Maria is doing something at home or such like that.
It will be different, but I am glad to hear that Sonia is open to doing guest appearances here and there still.

aebthegofer

Reaction score
We'll miss you, Sonia! Thanks for all the wonderful childhood memories you gave me!:stick_out_tongue::frown::wisdom::grouchy::insatiable::super::batty::search::laugh:

~Aeb:wink: