Something I found interesting on IMDB.com

Aerosmith

Reaction score
After Henson's death, the character of Rowlf the Dog was "retired". Since Rowlf was one of Henson's trademark characters he is now only seen and never heard.
If thats true why was he speaking in the Making the Video of Weezer's Keep Fishing?

kansasteen14

Reaction score
well I cant really answer your question but it does seem that besides that he hasn't talked lately.I mean at WDW and DL for muppet vision they have a poster of Kermit,Piggy,Fozzie,gonzo,rowlf,and animal yet Rowlf isnt in the show.and he didnt have speaking role in the last 3 muppet movies.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Muppet Vision was made before Jim Henson's death--so Rowlf not having a speaking part in that was more circumstantial than anything else; in "the Muppets at Walt Disney World" special (made to coincide with the opening of Muppet Vision), Rowlf had a significant role, and even had his own song with a bunch of other dogs; one of my favorite Rowlf performances, actually.

I do hope they manage to revive him, along with Janice and Scooter, in some future Muppet production.

Quinnnnnn

salthemonkey

Reaction score
I was wondering if the Rowlf thing is true....do you suppose the same is true for Scooter who was performed bu Richard Hunt?

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
IMDB is far from flawless. A lot of their information comes from fans emailing them-- or at least some of it does. I suspect this is simply a case of misinformation. There were any number of rumors of characters being retired after Jim's death.

Rowlf was in fine voice at the Live Muppet Show at Muppet Fest last year. It takes time to find replacement voices for all the characters Jim, Richard, and Frank performed. I'm hopeful Scooter, and others, will return in the future.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Yeah--I would hate to see these characters permanently retired, becoming either sacred cows or martyrs for the cause...I think they should remain part of the Muppet family and they should just find replacement voices/performers for them. I have nothing but respect and admiration for Jim Henson and Richard Hunt, but I think continuing the legacy of entertainment and laughter they created with their wonderful characters shows more respect than pulling the plug on them....and after all, if Kermit and Piggy can be transitioned into new performers' hands, why can't these admittedly second-tier characters?

Quinnnnnn

radionate

Reaction score
See, I too had read somewhere that Scooter had been retired after Richard's death, and the same with Rowlf. I have mixed emotions about it. They both were such fabulous characters, that retiring them would seem right, but it also is a shame to loose such good "friends" in the muppet world.

One of these days I'll look through my scrapbook to see if I can find the article that talks about those retirements.

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Originally posted by MuppetQuilter
A lot of their information comes from fans emailing them-- or at least some of it does. I suspect this is simply a case of misinformation.
Absolutely. The IMDB is often never (or hardly ever) updated, so their news is just out-dated. I've been reading that quote about Rowlf for a few years now, I think.

- Billy :cool: