So We'll Go No More A-Roving, for Fear of Furry Monsters

newsmanfan

Reaction score
----------------
Ed...I am laughing my felted yellow butt off right now! THANK you so much! What a treat! (Hey, I'd actually forgotten the Raquel Welch spider...good call. I had sort of a Muppety Agrajag in mind but that works even better!)

"sucking brains out through a straw" was actually a line from a Weird Al song, "Slime Creatures from Outer Space" -- I didn't know of other references. Ha!

Thankee for the rubber duckie! But...Ed...you didn't catch the MST joke here? (There are two of them in this chapter.) The William Conrad Fridge Alert, from the Kiel-tastic "Human Duplicators" -- one of the Mads' sillier Invention Exchanges!

I am rather disturbed by the fact someone has actually made octocakes.
:crazy: Weren't you disturbed before that? Heeheehee hee hee hee!

The Benny Hill reference you made is indeed appropriate. Yeesh... The second MST joke involves the end credits of "Outlaw" when the guys come up with all those fabulous fake movie titles shown on the Flimsy Negligee Mys--er, I mean USA Network. I just liked the idea of "Panty Death Raid." Uh-- as a JOKE -- not as a personal adventure! :embarrassed:

Hmm, This Old Haunted House has possibilities... "Hey, that sounded like Norm Abrams, getting killed!"

I'm not knocking sleeping with stuffies OR plushies. Or...um...felties...ahem.

Wrote all afternoon and will continue tonight, hopefully posting tomorrow. Going to check out Prawnie's review...and then take a flashdrive to a filmwise buddy to snag me a copy of the new trailer for my very ownself. I MUST have the scarf pic!

Anyone else want to sound off here? Good OR bad? suggestions? stuff you think I MUST put in? Open to comments...

*listens to crickets*
*listens to crickets some more*
*gets irritated and shuts the window*

sigh... more soon. :news:
------------------------------------

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Ru: Aack! Stop posting more chapters of this wonderful stor---wait. That's not right. Hmmm. Let me go out and come in again.
Aack! I'm behind! Stop writing so fast!
Gonzo: Try reading faster.
Ru: Aw, who asked you! (Reads faster....) I WILL post when I am caught up!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oye, who's the funny monster that ate my post last night?

Moving on...
The William Conrad bit, I thought you got inspired by another source.
The Usa Network gag... The only one I remember, from one of the many Gamera movies was:
Crow: "Tonight, on the Yuasa Network, a very special episode of Swamp Thing."
Tom, as Swampy: "Do not bring your evil into my swamp!"
Octocakes are good okay. The concept is making crabcakes, just with octopus meat instead of crab. Then again, maybe I'm not that weirded out by it because I like octopus meat.
Felties... Yes, those you can cuddle with. Just be gentle with Sunny, she might still be traumatized from her ordeal.
Feel free to use whatever inspires you to post more story.

BTW: When's a good time to chat? Got some doubts floating through the ether of my nagging noggin that could use some consultation.
Thanks, look forward to what's next.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Clifford: Watcha doin', Ru?
Ru: Catching up on Newsie's latest story.
Clifford: Yeah, um, reading. I've been meaning to do more of, um, that. Maybe you could just tell me about it....
Ru: It's got muppets and monsters and chaos and technical malfunctions. There are rats, bats, glamorous chickens, indegestible edibles, pyrotechnics and a visit from the Grim Reaper. Also, manacles, jellyfish, true romance, limes, inter-species dating and a giant spider. And fur and feathers and slime and goo.
Clifford: So...the typical, right?
Ru: Well, the usual. Not so typical....here--start with chapter 1.
Clifford: Aw, man. Can't I wait till the movie comes out?
Ru: Read.
Clifford: Got any popcorn?
Ru: Here! Now READ!
Clifford: Reading already....

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Part Nine

Saturday morning, Gina was up before her Newsman, peering at her laptop with a mug of coffee in hand, going over her painted mock-ups of the lighting design for “The Homecoming.” Although she loved having the opportunity to design both set and lights, it was a lot of brainwork; she’d do her best to keep it from being a lot of gruntwork, too. She’d submitted her scenic ideas a couple of weeks ago, and the director had readily approved it since it would largely use platforms and flats the theatre already had in stock; all that would need doing would be some wallpapering and set dressing, and the set itself could be easily assembled in a day or two at most, once the current productions of puppet slams alternating with concerts ended. Rubbing a hand across her tired eyes, she sat back and drank more coffee, trying to rouse herself fully.

A bleary-eyed, sans-glasses, ruffled-hair Muppet shuffled into the kitchen and wavered on his feet, trying to orient on her. He looked so sleepily baffled that Gina laughed, and pulled him in for a kiss. “Hey there handsome! You, uh, forget something?”

Newsie squinted at her, confused, not fully awake. “Uh…did I?”

Gina stroked a finger down his nose from dark furry brows to sharp, pointed tip. “Could be. I see you remembered to put on your robe and slippers, though.”

“It was chilly,” Newsie muttered, still puzzled. He leaned closer, unable to make out her features clearly. “You’re all blurry. What time is it?”

Gina giggled, sat him in the other chair, and shortly had fresh pumpkin coffee steaming in his Halloween mug in front of him. Gratefully Newsie sipped it, relaxing. He noticed her doing something with her computer on the kitchen table. “Er…checking email so early?”

“No, cutie. Today’s my production meeting, remember? I have to present the lighting design to Dr Rob! I’m just making sure all the renderings look clear enough. He’s a decent director but…um…not very visually-oriented, so I have to make sure my ideas are obvious.”

“Ah,” Newsie said, nodding. “Tailor your work to your audience.”

“You got it. Want breakfast?”

“You’re busy,” he protested, staggering to his feet. “I’ll fix it. Uh…” He peered uncertainly at the dishwasher. “Did we move the granola?”

“Aloysius…”

“Yes?”

“Put your glasses on.”

She softened his embarrassment when he returned to the kitchen, able to see finally, by wrapping her arms around his broad shoulders and kissing his nose. He fixed one of her autumn specialties she’d taught him, ginger granola mixed with apple cobbler yogurt all warmed up, and brought her a large bowlful, settling into his own place with a smaller helping. She rewarded him with another kiss, finally coaxing a smile out of him. “You going to the happy home today?” she asked in between spoonfuls.

Newsie nodded. “I should return Aunt Ethel’s scrapbook. I finished scanning all the articles.”

“Looks nice out there. Why don’t you see if you can push her around the garden?”

“That’s a good idea.” Newsie beamed at his girl. “I love you.”

Gina paused in her perusing of the art on her screen to give him a deep kiss. “And I you, my devoted journalist. Would you rather meet up for lunch or dinner? I think I’m going to wear the skull outfit, if that influences your decision.” She grinned at his discomfited expression; his own tastes were so naturally old-fashioned that she’d learned to warn him if she planned to appear at all outré.

“Er…the skulls? Is that…really appropriate for a meeting about a Thanksgiving show?”

Gina laughed. “It’s Pinter. Twisted is entirely appropriate.” She gave him a wicked smile. “You haven’t read the script yet!”

Newsie shifted around on his chair. “Er…uh…I assumed it had something to do with college athletics…”

It took Gina several minutes to catch her breath after that; meanwhile her poor Muppet blinked at her in total incomprehension. “Do you know how much I adore you?” she asked finally, wiping the tears of hilarity from her eyes.

“Uhm,” Newsie mumbled, still unsure what to make of her reaction.

“Read the play. Trust me, it is not a warm happy fuzzy, and there will be no cheerleaders or jocks in it anywhere.” She kissed him once more, then stood. “I need to go get ready. Feel like helping me wash?”

He certainly wasn’t going to object.

Later, Gina returned to the bathroom to use its better lighting for aid in hooking her dangling silver skeleton earrings in properly, and found Newsie with a foamy toothbrush, diligently scrubbing. She smiled at him, but didn’t comment; he’d verbally ducked and sidestepped every time she’d prodded him about the fact he didn’t actually have teeth to brush…or stubble to shave, for that matter. She was just happy to see the fuzz back on his face finally: a month ago, fresh from a shower and without his glasses, he’d mistaken her bikini cream for sunscreen, and for a while afterward had been forced to live with extra-shiny-smooth felt across his nose and cheeks.

Mouth rinsed and dabbed dry, he watched her fuss with her jewelry and hair, doing his best not to appear uncomfortable with her outfit today: a black crepe skirt above black hose with tiny skulls like polka-dots all over, low boots with silver buckles in various impractical places, a long black cardigan wrapped over a satin chemise, a scarf matching the hose tying up her startlingly red hair, the earrings, and a more colorful, enameled Day of the Dead skull pendant dangling grinning from her neck. “Um…given any thought as to what you’ll wear to Fozzie’s Halloween party?” Newsie asked hesitantly; if it was only the fifteenth and she was draped in this stuff, what might she do for the actual holiday?

“I was thinking I could be a medieval falconer, and you could go as my hawk,” Gina teased, saw him grimace, and laughed. “Kidding! I don’t know yet. What about you?”

“Er…me? In costume?”

“Did I mishear? I thought you said it was a costume party.”

“Oh. Uh…yes.” Outside of the very, very occasionally nontraditional garb he’d donned for the Muppet Show (the “Robin Hood” show immediately, and uncomfortably, sprang to mind), Newsie didn’t do costumes. Gina stroked his cheek fondly.

“What about when you were a kid? Didn’t you go trick-or-treating?”

He couldn’t meet her gaze. “Er…no. Mother wouldn’t allow it. She thought it was immoral to beg for candy. I, uh…I did go with her to a costume party once at the DAR…”

“Oooh, bet that was thrilling,” Gina quipped. “What did you go as?”

Now why had he even mentioned that? A mental image of himself in that scratchy, wooly lamb get-up, while his mother paraded around as Little Bo-Peep, made him turn bright crimson. “Uh. Um. I –I don’t recall. It was a long time ago. Do we have to be in full costume? Couldn’t we just put on masks?”

“You’d have a hard time seeing without your glasses…and I don’t know of too many commedia del’arte masks that include spectacles,” Gina pointed out, biting her lip to keep from smiling. “Look, why don’t we go shopping together Monday night, as soon as your news gig is over? We can see what’s available and pick something out, okay?”

“Okay,” he agreed at once, relieved. He pulled her down for a kiss. “Good luck at your production meeting!”

“And you have a good time with your aunt,” she replied, hugging him tight. “Mmm. So…lunch or dinner?”

He drew back, studying her clothing. “Uh…what if we met for dinner at that tavern you like?”

“Scarth’s Chemistry Pub? Sure! I thought it was too noisy for you there.”

“Well, that may have been due to the grad students last time. I’m willing to give it another shot.” He’d liked the food at the casual tavern, but a raucous group of students doing something with acid titrations and beer bongs over in a corner had been a little too much chaos for him to put up with during dinner. He smiled at Gina, and she gave him a deeper kiss.

“Bravo, you! Seven o’clock, after your news? Will you try the ‘KOH Sammich’ this time? It’d go good with their pumpkin ale, and that’s in season now.”

“I’ll try,” he promised. When she left the apartment without her cylindrical case of drafted drawings, he hurried after to hand it to her before the elevator closed. The smile, blown kiss, and playful wave she gave him promised him an excellent reward later for his thoughtfulness, and it was with a cheerful heart that Newsie buttoned his coat and headed out himself a few minutes later.

The weather proved brisk and clear enough for him to walk a few blocks to the Times Square station. He stayed on the edge of the crowd of demonstrators, not wanting to be jostled; all too often, people failed to notice him, short as he was, and he didn’t want anything to get spilled on his new autumn overcoat. He felt in too good a mood…a state which still seemed alien enough to him to want to savor thoroughly. He purchased a paper cup of hot cider from a vendor obviously supporting the occupiers, and waved off his change, pointing instead to the donation box, but felt a little too embarrassed to return the young man’s “Dude, right on!” or fistbump. Walking slowly along the sidewalk, he read some of the cardboard signs lined up for blocks, his thoughts turning to the accusations that girl with MADL had thrown at him. Of course I’m for equal rights…for everyone, Muppet or not! I’m just not a commentator. I’m a journalist. The two should never mix. He wondered if Muppets really were being discriminated against, as the activists claimed. Well, there was something involving the ACLU when the station hired me back…maybe that’s worth a look. He wanted first, however, to get to the bottom of these alleged underground disappearances and vague claims of monsters. THAT is a pressing concern, if it’s true! The public needs to be warned, if horrible hungry Things are moving in right under our feet! Uneasily he glanced into a black storm drain as he passed it, and unconsciously edged away with each step. He still hadn’t been able to locate the two ConEd workers who’d filed a police report claiming to have seen something down there…they hadn’t shown up for work in days. Maybe…maybe he could ask to see where they were working? Would the city, or ConEd, or whomever had the right to those particular tunnels grant him permission to go look for himself? He shivered, and drank more of the cinnamon-warm cider. That might be the only way to find out…

He doubted Rhonda would come with him. Whom else could he recruit? He really, really didn’t like the idea of going down there…alone…

The train to Queens wasn’t too crowded, the morning commute already passed, and he trotted up the long drive to the asylum with legs that felt sprightly. Gina had him eating healthy and going on walks with her often, and though he hadn’t quite dared to try her Wii Fit routine alongside her yet (convinced he would appear foolish if he attempted some of those yoga poses), he could tell he was in better shape than ever. Healthy foam, healthy mind, he told himself, pleased with the entire day already. He stopped at the main desk, waiting for the receptionist to return so he could sign in and see Aunt Ethel, his gaze turning to the beautiful garden in red and yellow flowers right outside, buoyed by the notion of taking his aunt for a leisurely stroll there. Even in a wheelchair, she would surely enjoy the colors and the wonderful scent of the autumn air. He beamed at the uniformed lady who finally came to see what he wanted at the desk. “Hi! Aloysius Crimp, to see Ethel Muppman, please.”

The receptionist checked through her record log, and looked up with a sympathetic frown. “I’m sorry, sir. Mrs Muppman isn’t here.”

“She—what?”

“Are you family?”

“Yes, I’m her nephew! Why isn’t she here?” His aunt, he knew, had been deemed too dangerous to herself to be allowed on the monthly field trips some other patients enjoyed. It saddened him, but he understood the reasoning. “She left the home?”

“Er…yes. She’s at Blucher Memorial, just up the road. She fell, and sustained some injuries…”

Angrily, Newsie sputtered, “What? When? Why wasn’t I informed? How badly was she injured?”

The somber woman checked her notes again. “Two days ago. Um…it does say we called you then, and I see here a note that you asked at that time to be informed by the hospital if anything changed…”

“Nobody called me,” Newsie exclaimed, incredulous. “Nobody spoke to me! This is the first I’ve heard about it!”

“We had instructions to notify her nephew Aloysius if anything like this happened,” the woman said sharply. “We did so. Can I see some ID, sir?”

Furious, confused, the Newsman set aside the scrapbook long enough to dig every form of ID he had out of his wallet; most of them, unfortunately, simply had “The Newsman” printed for his name, since he’d changed it decades ago from what his mother had named him at birth. At last he showed her his Muppet Security card, and she seemed convinced. “Well, I’m sorry, Mr Crimp, but it does show that we did contact you when she went into the hospital! Could someone else at your residence have—“

“No,” he growled. Gina would never have failed to inform him of something so important! “How badly is she hurt?”

“Well, she may have hit her head; we’re not sure. She’s been mostly unresponsive, the hospital said. The doctors—“

Newsie didn’t wait. Upset and angry, he strode out of the building, breaking into a jog as he headed directly up the road in the direction the receptionist had indicated. His aunt was supposed to have an attendant of some kind with her around the clock! Had the asylum’s negligence led to her falling? He burst into the lobby of the sedate hospital, still clutching the scrapbook. “Ethel Muppman! What room?”

“Are you family?” the nurse behind the desk asked, scowling.

A few outraged, worried minutes later, he finally stood beside his aunt’s bed, clasping her worn gray fingers between his own, staring down at her in concern. “Aunt Ethel? Auntie, it’s me, Aloysius!”

Her eyes were slightly open, but they tracked right past him, unfocused. Newsie glared up at the doctor. “How much morphine is she on?” he demanded. “How bad are her injuries?”

The doctor shook his head gently. “A very low dose. She’s been like this since we revived her. Sometimes this happens…very frequently, a fall is the beginning of a downward slide, at this age.”

“Revived her?” Newsie was aghast.

“She was experiencing arrhythmia when they brought her in, and her heart did stop briefly while we were trying to stabilize her. She had to be shocked back into a normal rhythm. We’ve done a CAT scan, but what with her already advanced dementia, it’s a little hard to tell how much damage the fall actually did to her brain.”

Newsie sank into a chair next to the railed bed. “She might go on for months yet,” the doctor told him. “We’ve immobilized her shoulder and her left wrist, but the breakage seems minor. Unfortunately there’s no way to predict whether she’ll regain much awareness.”

The Newsman blinked back imminent tears. So, for all purposes, Ethel may simply already be…gone. Here, but gone. Trying to master his voice, he asked roughly, “How did this happen? She was supposed to have someone with her!”

The doctor shook his head again. “You’ll have to talk to the people at the care facility about that. All I know is that she was found on the floor of her room, and since then she hasn’t moved or spoken. We’ve had to force-feed her.”

Newsie choked. How could this have happened? He stroked Ethel’s hand, hoping somewhere in there she might be conscious enough, here enough to register it. “Could I…could I just have a minute?” he asked. The doctor nodded, and quietly shut the door behind him as he left. Newsie gazed at his aunt a long while in silence. She didn’t seem to know anyone was there, not reacting even when he squeezed her hand or spoke her name. He’d known she would eventually slow down, a clock too old to be wound again…but his memories of a youthful, energetic, laughing woman, the one who tousled his hair instead of slapping the top of his head, who snuck him bits of fruit and cheese when his mother had sent him to bed supperless even at Ethel and Joe’s vacation cabin, all bore no more resemblance to this frail, broken creature than to any stranger on the street. Less, probably.

A soft sound interrupted his despairing thoughts. He listened, feeling uneasily as though he wasn’t alone in the room. A glance at the tiny, high window revealed no birds or tree branches which might’ve knocked against it, but he could’ve sworn he heard a small thud. Then a scraping noise came from under the bed.

Newsie stood on the chair so quickly he felt dizzy. More unnerving sounds, scratches and thumps and a low muttering, made his heart stutter. He gulped, and did his best not to allow any fear into his voice: “Wh-who’s there? This is supposed to be a private room!”

“Mm. Pri-vate. Mm. Yip yip.”

What! Outraged, Newsie jumped to the floor, yanking up the plain dustruffle covering the storage shelf below the bed. Clumped on the shelf like used mops, a pink thing and a blue thing stared at him, eyes huge, mouths trembling. “Awwww! Yip! Yip! Yip yip yip yip yip yip yip awwww!”

“Get out of here!” Newsie yelled. The monsters shifted and squirmed, not retreating, eyeballing him. Furious, he cast about for something to poke them with. In a narrow standing wardrobe, a couple of wire hangers dangled empty; grabbing one, he twisted it into a poker of sorts and jabbed it under the bed. “Get out! Leave her alone!”

“Mn. Bad. Bad news. Yip,” the pink one muttered, slithering out of Newsie’s reach.

“Yip yip. Bad. Eth-el bad. Mm, yip yip yip yip.”

Suddenly a new scenario sprang into the Newsman’s mind: Ethel alone with these things. What if she’d reached for something, been just a little off-balance, and… He knew firsthand how strong those strange raggy bodies actually were. “Did you hurt her?” he shouted at them. “Did you make her fall?”

“News bad,” the pink one insisted, dodging his next attempt to thwack it, scooting across the floor and suddenly rising a few inches above it. “Bad! Mad! Yip yip yip yip!”

“Eth-el bad,” the blue one chimed in, shuffling closer to the oblivious occupant of the bed. With a strangled cry, Newsie leaped at it, swinging the wire, but it ducked and zipped out of the way.

“Bad, sad,” the pink one said. Both of the monsters were very agitated now, zipping all over the room with bizarre contortions. They went into a maddening chorus of yipping.

“Get out!” Newsie yelled, driving them away from the bed with wild swings. “Get away from her! Get out!”

A voice from the doorway made him jump. “What in the name of sainted Frau Blucher is going on in here? What’s all the yelling?”

He spun around, wire upraised, to see a nurse glaring at him. She put her strong-looking hands on wide hips and loomed over him as she advanced. “You’re scaring the other patients! Heck, you’d be scaring this poor lady too, if she knew what was going on around her!”

“Those monsters--!” Newsie cried, pointing a shaking hand at the offenders. “I think they’re the ones who hurt my aunt!”

The nurse gave him an odd look. “What monsters?”

“Those ones, obviously, right th—“ Newsie suddenly saw the room was empty save for his quiet, unreacting aunt. He looked under the bed, in the wardrobe, in the small powder room. Nothing. “They were here…” he insisted, but the stern expression the nurse wore said she clearly didn’t buy it.

“You need to leave now, sir. We don’t permit that kind of crazy yelling here.”

“Do you permit monsters in the patients’ rooms? I…I demand that anti-monster measures be immediately enacted around this room!” Newsie said, retreating a step when the nurse came closer.

“What we do not permit,” she threatened, “is anyone disturbing these poor people’s peace! Now are you gonna leave, or do I need to call Bellevue?”

“Bell…” He realized, with a sickening despair, what she meant. “I’m not crazy! There were monsters here, threatening my aunt!”

“You need to go. Now. Before I call ‘em anyway.”

Upset, the Newsman took Ethel’s scrapbook and reluctantly left the room, the hall, and the hospital. I should call someone…set up protection for her…maybe Detective Pendziwater? His police contact, though, had often sounded skeptical about things such as monsters or decent recipes being made from Spam. Newsie wasn’t certain the cop would help him. What about someone at the theatre? Even those stupid penguins might be able to act as watchdogs. Maybe. He had no idea whom to call, who would be willing to stand guard here…assuming anyone even could, with those strict and disbelieving nurses prowling the halls. They called her ‘bad.’ Why? What could those crazy rag-things have against her? He hadn’t cared much for them when he’d first encountered them at the asylum, hanging around his aunt…but they’d seemed harmless enough. Weird, but harmless. Never trust a monster, he thought grimly. Never! They never lose the feral nature!

At the edge of the gutter in the street in front of the hospital, the Martians paused to confer in low voices. “Eth-el bad sad. Hurt sad. Yip.”

The blue one shook itself in all-over unhappiness. “Hurt sad, yip yip.” It drew itself up taller, indignant. “News bad! Bad make us go! No go! Nope nope nopenopenope!”

“Nopenopenope!” the pink one agreed, shoving its face against its companion’s for better echo effect. It peered over to view the Newsman slowly walking away, lost in unpleasant thoughts, and shook itself jerkily. “News bad! Re-port! Yip yip yip yip!”

“Mn. Re-port. Yip yip,” the other agreed.

A flash of pink motion caught Newsie’s peripheral vision, never terribly reliable; as jumpy as he felt right now, he swung around immediately to investigate. The monsters! They saw him staring at them, looked at one another, and began emitting some sort of strange humming noise. Before he could react, the two monsters simply…melted. Their shapeless bodies seemed to waver and dissolve, and they swept right down the storm drain next to the curb…into the wastewater channels…into the sewers.

Chilled, Newsie stared at that a long moment, not daring to run over and inspect it too closely. The sewers! Monsters! Oh my frog it’s TRUE!

But…but why Ethel? Why turn on her? Had she…had she found out something dire about her little pets? Some shady aspect they hadn’t wanted to reveal? He couldn’t imagine a good reason they’d harm his harmless old aunt, unless it was to silence her! Frightened, Newsie backed well away from the drains. Good grief, he’d never noticed before just how many points of access there were to the sewers! Did these here in Queens connect with the ones in Manhattan? Did they flow into the East River, or was there some sort of central treatment plant to filter it all? Why had the monsters followed Ethel to the hospital – if not to finish the job!

Shaking, he searched his pockets, inexpressibly relieved when he found his cell phone. Gina must have put it in my coat! Oh Gina, I love you! Gratefully, he punched in his police contact’s number, but reached only the man’s voicemail. Impatiently he waited for the beep. “Detective! It’s the Newsman. I need to request police protection for…for my aunt! I have strong reason to believe she’s in danger! She’s at Blucher Memorial Hospital, room 67. Please, please send someone to keep watch for her as soon as possible! I think she was attacked by…by…hostile persons. Um. Look, I’ll explain it all to you when I see you, but please, I need this. My aunt needs this!”

He stood a long while, uncertain, torn between wanting to go back in and wait until the cops showed up, and hostile nurses be dratted; or hurrying to the library or the city archives – wherever he could find plans for the dizzying network of tunnels undermining the city. If he had to go down there, he was not going in ignorant!

The urge to research was too strong to resist. When he saw a police car pull up to the hospital shortly, he offered silent thanks to his friend on the force, and hastened off to the nearest subway station…and then reconsidered. What if those things could infiltrate the train system? On second thought… Newsie opened his phone and called a cab.

In the hospital lobby, the tired officer strolled up to the admissions desk. “Hey, we gotta call from one’a your nurses about some crazy harassing patients,” he told the nurse on duty.

“Oh…yes. Some guy was in here yelling about monsters a little while ago, but I think he left.”

“Ah…you want me to just take a look around outside, make sure he’s gone?”

“Sure. Thanks.”

“Don’t mention it.” The cop shook his head, pulling out his nightstick and tapping it lightly against his hand as he headed outside. “Monsters!” he chuckled.

“Ever since they built up that d—d contemporary art place, all the crazies migrate over through the tunnel,” his partner snorted.

“Tell me about it! Well, come on. Let’s walk around the building once. Don’t want the patients gettin’ all upset by some maniac runnin’ in here yellin’ crazy stuff…”

The second cop shivered, looking up at the square corners and soulless architecture of the midcentury pile. “Man, hospitals give me the creeps… People die in ‘em, ya know?”

Staring out at the river as his cab crossed the Queensboro Bridge (not the most direct route back, but above ground), the Newsman imagined dark things moving in the water, swimming between the boroughs, bent on malevolent errands. All under the surface, under everyone’s feet, popping in and out of drains – who knew how wide the threat might be? He fought down the urge to go straight on camera and cry havoc against this insidious threat. The city hadn’t been the same since the Twin Towers. No point in starting a panic, or encouraging species profiling…after all, many of the Muppets might be mistaken for monsters. Well…some of them were monsters. He felt cold. Could any of their cast or crew be cohorts of the horrible things menacing his aunt? Uncle Deadly? Sweetums? Robin played with that enormous troll, for frog’s sake! No, no…Sweetums couldn’t possibly be connected with this! But…but we do have monsters…what if they know something about it? What if some evil monsterist cell approached them, tried to recruit them? He would have to ask. Newsie nodded to himself, frightened, watching the water below for any sign of…of…well, he wasn’t sure what.

One thing he was absolutely certain of: his city had just become a great deal more scary.
---------------------------

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Part Ten

“Tonight! The most amazingly dangerous competition under the face of the earth begins! With death-defying acts gathered from around the globe for your heart-stopping enjoyment! So grab your pacemaker, have a friend standing by with epinephrine, because here we are with the very first night of live incredibly microcephalic stunts on…Break a Leg!”

Snookie beamed widely as the lights burst into brilliance upon the stage, simulated fireworks filling the big screen behind him. “Aaaaaand here are our monstrously popular judges! From the Bronx, New York: Beautiful Day Cooper!”

The shot cut to B.D., nodding and scowling at the long table draped in edible bunting.

“From San Francisco, foggy California: Behemoth Sterling!”

Hem laughed and waved enthusiastically for the camera.

“And also joining us until he gets mistaken for a tasty appetizer yet again, from Peoria, Illinois, Shakey Sanchez-Campbell! And of course me, your cheerful host, Snookie Blyer!”

The audience full of monsters hooted and clapped. Snookie’s smile didn’t alter, knowing at least one camera was trained on him. Shakey, atop the judges’ table, shivered and eyed first Hem, then B.D., trying to figure out which of them was more likely to grab him. For the moment, both of them seemed intent on playing their roles in time-honored talent show tradition: B.D sat back in a white t-shirt with his furry arms crossed, looking smug, and Hem was being overly jolly for the camera and blowing kisses at the audience. “Let’s meet tonight’s contestants! Each of them has been selected by our judges from hordes of eager but none-too-wise applicants for their originality, their wide array of talents, and of course, their willingness to die for their art!” The all-monster crowd roared its approval, and Snookie wondered how on earth that would play to the couch potatoes tuned in to MMN because they couldn’t reach their remotes. Or were in comas, or stuck at the DMV or airport lounges.

“Ever think about rollerskating naked through the crosswalk in Times Square? Hey, who hasn’t?” Snookie chuckled. “Our first contestant did exactly that, and drew a raving crowd! Of course, since he had a belt of sausages slung around his waist, his adoring fans were all ravenous dogs! Please welcome – Artemis Kookulboofer, from Down Under!” The audience applauded as an orange kangaroo bounced out onstage, producing a variety of sharp objects from his pouch and proceeding to juggle them. When one of the female audience members whistled at him, he paused to wave at her, and a cleaver narrowly missed his ear as it dropped. “Oo-kay! Save the blood for your act, Artemis! Ha ha ha.”

Sweet Merv Griffin, I wish I was back in my cell, Snookie thought wearily. He hated late tapings. Although this was being billed as “live,” it actually had a delay time of a few minutes; he imagined the producers wanted to allow for cleanup time if anyone expired messily onstage. Snookie had already presided over five shows today, including a pilot for “Monsters Tonight,” which he was only serving as sidekick for (Carl had demanded the host slot as compensation for having to put off the “Sewer’s Kitchen” cooking contest), and he was exhausted, hungry, and disgusted with the whole premise for this show. His smile was frozen…not that anyone would notice. Or care. Earlier, he’d glimpsed the time on the director’s watch. Pew had been wearing it upside-down. Snookie estimated he’d been working around ten hours even before this thing started taping at six o’clock…assuming, of course, the director had the correct time. Snookie kept grinning like a fool, and introduced the next idio—er, contestant. “Wonderful! Up after Artemis will be the former star of the ‘Muppet Show,’ the Great Gonzo!”

Gonzo gunned his motorbike up a ramp, riding upside-down on the handlebars while controlling the pedals with rods clamped in his mouth. He spun it out center stage, and with a flourish of his satin cape, flipped himself upright – with the bike balanced on his nose. Briefly. The monster crowd laughed and clapped loudly.

“Frooooomm the D.C. Beltway, Sylvester Stoatlone, master of wild beasts!” Snookie reminded himself to keep his mike well away from this shady, slinky character; the weasel looked like the type to walk off with it and try to resell it to him at a 150% markup. Bowing and grinning with sharp little teeth, Stoatlone cracked a whip, and four enormous dogs rushed onto the stage, baying and snapping; the animal tamer leaped onto the back of one, ducked as the others tried to tackle him, and emerged from the ensuing dustup standing triumphantly atop a pile of confused canines all tangled together with the whip and tied in a pretty bow.

“Last but not least in this round, from Finland, Mungus Mumfrey, the world’s only stunt-performing fungus!” Snookie blinked at his cue card. Yep. It said fungus. He edged away from the stage as…something…wobbled and wiggled and shuffled out of the wing. One appendage surged up from the mass, wielding a small blowtorch; it shot fire at itself, and more tentacle-esque, frothing “arms” swung up and smothered it out. Repeatedly. The fungus pumped the blowtorch in the air in an unmistakable victory gesture. “Ooookay,” Snookie gulped, slicking back his hair nervously. “Well! There are your competitors for the night – and you’re welcome to ‘em, ha ha ha! Who has the gazongas to go all the way? Who will explode in a fiery ball of failure? Stick around and find out on…Break a Leg!”

Gonzo took his place at the back of the stage in some kind of chainlink-fenced holding area with the other performers. As the kangaroo began setting up his act and the cameras cut for a commercial, Gonzo stood on tiptoe, peering around the support beams for the lighting trusses. “Uh, hey!” he called to the director standing just off stage right. “Could I have a seat in the audience? I can’t see anything from here!”

“Zis iss for your protection, le wit du nit! Zhust stay back here! Aftair all, we would not weesh you to…ah…be lost!” Pew explained, waving his cane vaguely at some of the camerafrackles, who all promptly ducked just in case.

Gonzo raised one eyelid, puzzled. “How would I lose my way back to the stage from the audience?”

“Ah deed not say you would lose your way! Ah said you would be lost! Some of zee audience, zey haff not been fed yet!”

“Oh,” Gonzo said, eyes widening as he stared across into the risers of goggly-eyed, thick-furred, scaled, horned, and otherwise unfriendly looking creatures. “Uh…why don’t you provide free popcorn? Maybe then they could focus on the show better.”

“Do you seenk ah am made of money?” Pew snorted. “Besides! You can always watch zee show on zee big screen!” He gestured behind him and upwards. Gonzo stared at the rusting steel girders holding up the roof a moment before he noticed the projection screen hanging above and behind the stage floor…which was angled away from the holding area he stood in.

“Uh…big screen. Check.” With a sigh, he leaned on the fence, waiting for his turn to go on, listening to the yells and howls of the audience as the kangaroo sent daggers and mountain-climbing spikes higher and higher into the air over his head. Boy, I wonder if he does chain-saws too? I don’t want to look repetitive…

----------------------------
Backstage at the Muppet Theatre, Camilla clucked angrily at anyone trying to change the channel of the grainy-screened television. She could see, barely, the ghost of a logo at the bottom right corner, MMN, and knew she had the correct station; she just wasn’t sure what time the show would air, and pecking through the yellowed guide someone had left back here proved to be no help at all. Cindi Cornish grumbled something to Mitzi Clucker behind Camilla; whirling, the impatient hen gave her a piece of her mind. “Buh-kawk bu-bawk bawk buhhhh-kawk!” Cheekfeathers reddening, Cindi made herself scarce.

“Sheesh, what’s wit’ da boids tonight?” Rizzo wondered, munching on a stale apple fritter he’d looted from the dumpster of the bakery up the street.

Pepe shrugged. “Who knows, amigo? Perhaps they are having…ah…egg troubles?”

“Buk!” Mitzi sniffed, tossing her floppy red wattles as she trotted past the somewhat-less-than-chicken-sized pair.

“Yeah, same ta you, toots!” Rizzo snorted.

“Are jou going to give me a bite of that or what already?”

“Yeah, sure. Plenty more stashed in my locker,” Rizzo shrugged, stifling a belch.

“Gracias,” Pepe murmured, then started. “Jou has a locker?”

“Keep it down! None’a da other rats know about it yet, and I don’t want ‘em stealing my snacks!”

“Oy,” Pepe said, but ate his share of the fritter as the two of them found a haven on an unoccupied loveseat with broken springs. “So, aren’t jou going to ask me about my stupendously unbelievable act tonight already?”

Rizzo eyed the prawn suspiciously. “You have an act?”

“Sí sí, I am in the show tonight. Kermins was so happy to have me fill in, he says to me, ‘Pepe, my very dear friend,’ he says –“

“Oh, yeah, right!” Rizzo scoffed. “Fill in? For what? Did Lew Zealand’s fish all come down sick or somethin’?”

“Jou are not as funny as jou think jou are. No!” Pepe tossed his antennae back proudly. “I am going to sing a song with the band okay? Unacancion de amor!”

“Cancer da armor? Huh?”

“No, no! Cancion de amor! A love song already okay!”

“Who was you plannin’ on singin’ dis love song for, pray tell?”

“For all the beautiful womens of the world, okay?” Pepe smoothed down his white dinner jacket and black tie.

“Oh, bruddah. I wondered why you looked like da entrée on a cruise ship tonight!”

“What? What are jou saying to me?”

“Hey, you two,” Clifford rumbled, silencing both of them, “keep it down. You wanna talk love? Because that, my little serial bachelors, that right there is the real deal.”

The three of them looked to the table in front of the television; Camilla huddled upon it close to the set, making barely audible clucks as Gonzo’s moving image filled the screen. Rizzo blinked and pointed.

“Hey! Dere’s Gonzo! What da heck!”

They watched in silence, astounded to see their daredevil friend on the gaudily lit set of some other show, the sequins on his bodysuit sparkling as he raised his hands to the audience. “Tonight, I will attempt a stunt which has never been successfully completed before without dire maiming! A stunt so incredible it has repeatedly been listed in the Guinness Book of Records as ‘Most Wildly Improbable Use of Seaweed Ever’ multiple times! A stunt, in short, called…the Triple Lindy Sushi Roll!”

“Bawwwwwwk!” Camilla groaned, nearly fainting.

“I take this specimen of Pacific Ocean Giant Kelp,” Gonzo continued, producing a seemingly endless rope of slimy dark green plant material, “and wrap myself tightly in it…ungh…ergh…excuse me, uh, Snookie? Can you tie this off for me? That’s it…make it good and tight…right!” Gonzo beamed at the camera, trussed like an armless mummy in the kelp. “And now I will hop to the top of this thirty-foot high dive…maestro, if you will?”

While Gonzo struggled to pull himself by his chin or his nose up each rung of the very tall, wobbling ladder, a band struck up “Auld Lang Syne.” Rizzo, Pepe and Clifford stared in shocked silence as the yellow-felted host smoothed back his dark hair and smiled at the camera. “Well! This has to be an obscure cable channel broadcast first! The original Triple Lindy, as I’m sure you all recall if you haven’t been stuck under concrete bunkers for the last thirty years, was first successfully performed by the stunt diver the Amazing Melloni, but no one has ever attempted to do the nail-bitingly difficult dive while encumbered by seaweed!” The view cut to the judges’ table. A blue-furred, flat-headed monster scowled up at Gonzo, tapping his fingers on the shoulder of his plain white t-shirt.

“Is that the snooty British pende—“

“No,” Rizzo butted in quickly. “He’s got a fatter head. I dunno who dis guy is. Shut up an’ let Gonzo do his trick.”

A tan-furred creature who resembled a push-up pop with eyebrows stared overhead at the high-dive, where Gonzo had somehow managed to drag himself to the edge of the diving board. “Geez, I hope he doesn’t wipe out early,” the monster muttered. “The boss really wanted him to—“

“Heh heh, and it looks like the Great Gonzo is in place to attempt this ridiculously pointless maneuver! Let’s watch,” Snookie said. A hush fell over the audience, and a low, ominous drumroll rumbled across the stage.

Camilla shook her head, her heart sinking. Oh, no! Not the Sushi Roll! What on earth was her crazy blue whatever thinking? She fanned her face with a wing, feeling ill.

“Aaaand…one! Two!” Gonzo bounced upon the diving board, looking completely unbalanced. “Threeeeeee!”

The Muppets stared wide-eyed at the screen, collective breaths held. Gonzo sprang into the air, and for a long, stomach-wrenching moment, the camera pulled back to show just how many seconds of freefall he hurtled down…and down…and landed, incredibly, on a second diving board several feet down and to the left of the first one. The audience cheered. Gonzo, grinning madly, bounced off that diving board as well, doing a somersault in midair as he traveled over and down again… down… down… smacked headfirst onto the third diving board! The audience was on its feet, roaring, pounding seat-backs in time with the kettledrummer still sending a roll through the cavernous room. “Buh-kawww!” Camilla gasped, feeling as though a large kernel was stuck in her craw; she could barely breathe.

“OhmyfrogIcan’tbelievehedidthat,” Rizzo gulped.

“Holy hot tamoles!” Clifford cried; they kept watching, astounded, when Gonzo did yet another somersault, bouncing off the last board, plunging nose-first into a tiny, open barrel of water. The splash covered much of the stage floor.

“Eek! I can’t look! Is he d-dead?” Shakey Sanchez-Campbell stammered.

“Tah-dahhhh!” Gonzo yelled, popping up in the mouth of a gigantic yellowfin tuna. The fish waved its fins, splashing the show’s host, who appeared briefly annoyed before reverting to his wide smile. The audience cheered and stomped. The chorus of relieved exhalations in the theatre green room could be heard across the room in the canteen; the Chef poked his head out from the grill, curious, and missed the caramelizing point of his candied gnats. The smoke attracted everyone’s attention.

“Boorn de bork a Kermeefroggen!” the Chef huffed, irritated.

“Well if it’s dat distractin’, try not lookin’ at it!” Rizzo snapped in reply, and the disgruntled cook glumly scraped the ruined treat out of his saucepan, shaking his head.

“Man, I can not believe he pulled that off,” Clifford laughed, readjusting his shades.

“Unbelievable!” Pepe agreed, forgetting he wasn’t supposed to be impressed by anything not tall, sultry, and of the opposite gender. “That dive is the most outrageous thing I have ever seen on the bra box!”

“Da what?” Rizzo asked.

Clifford chuckled. “I think he means the boob-tube.”

“Whatevers. It was amazing, okay?” Pepe’s gaze narrowed thoughtfully at the screen, where a bowing Gonzo was beaming at the audience’s very vocal approval. “Hey, now that he is a big star and everything, do jou think he needs an agent? I think he must get an agent.”

“Hey! I knew him way before you showed up!” Rizzo said, whiskers bristling.

Camilla slumped into a pile of feathers, panting. He did it! He actually did it! Why had Gonzo even gone for something that risky? Why was he undertaking this whole mad venture? She shook her head, feeling dazed. She ought to call him, tell him she thought this new show was a mistake, tell him…what? Dismayed, she realized if she asked him to come back, he’d get the wrong message. Of course. He never did really understand what I needed…that I just wanted him at home, protecting the nest…that he didn’t need to impress me anymore…that I already… The chicken swallowed dryly.

Everyone looked at her curiously when she hopped down from the table and ran from the room, scattering feathers as she crashed into Binkie Bantam, Black Bart’s wife. Much clucking and screeching and battering of wings followed, but eventually Camilla broke free and ran for her dressing-room upstairs…the one she used to share with Gonzo, her dear Gonzo, who simply couldn’t understand.

“Okay, true love or not, jou cannot tell me that is not a bad case of monthly eggs already,” Pepe grumbled.

----------------------------
Gonzo wriggled free of the seaweed; the tuna gulped it down happily. He climbed out of the near-empty barrel. Snookie took a hasty step back when Gonzo flung his sopping arms wide and took another bow. “Wow! Amazing! Let’s see what the judges think!” Snookie offered, turning to the monsters.

All three monsters stuck their thumbs in the air. “And the Great Gonzo earns three claws-up from our panel, beating out Artemis Kookulboofer with only two! Nice work Gonzo! How do you rate your own performance?”

“You know, Snookie, I was a little worried at the second somersault, because I realized I had miscalculated the windspeed-to-kelp ratio, but I was able to—“

“That’s just fantastic!” Snookie broke in, grinning. “Up after this break, our next contestant – and some very wild beasts! Stay with us!” He stalked offstage immediately when the camera light went to standby. “Wardrobe! Can I get a jacket not drenched in salt water? I can feel this thing shrinking as we speak!”

“That was a dirty trick,” someone hissed at Gonzo; surprised, he turned around to find Stoatlone the weasel glowering at him from under his battered fedora. Behind them both, stagemonsters grudgingly mopped up the slippery floor. “Didn’t ya hear, bub? Animal-taming is my gig!”

Gonzo looked from him to the tuna. “What, you mean the fish? Oh, believe me, it’s not tame! But hey, I wasn’t trying to steal your act. Break a leg, okay?”

“Funny,” the weasel sneered. “Real funny. Hey, get this overgrown minnow off the stage! I got real wild animals coming on here!”

The tuna rolled a speculative eye at the weasel while he barked out instructions to the ferrets trying to restrain a rocking crateful of something. Suddenly the fish leaped from the barrel, engulfing the weasel down to his waist in its wide mouth. “Grrrggh!” Sylvester cried, flailing with his whip at the stubbornly swallowing tuna. “Geff iff hoff me! Gaaaahhh!”

“Sheesh,” Gonzo muttered, leaving the stage, wringing out his cape as he went. “Some people are such poor sports…”

-----------------------------
With her dressing-hutch door locked, Camilla paced to and fro, wringing her wingtips. That idiot! That…that ridiculous, adrenaline-junkie, foamheaded man! How could he be doing this? Why would he think she would approve? Yes, she’d always supported his dreams, from plumbing to Bollywood, but…but…but! The Triple Lindy Sushi Roll! That was one of those “oh one day, oh if only” stunts! If this is the first night of the competition, and he did THAT? – what could be next? What could be worse? Oh! Shaking, the chicken flopped into her nest bunk, trembling all over.

She checked over her shoulder to make sure she was indeed alone in the room; around here, one never knew – she’d been caught crooning over her recurring egg-hatching fantasy once by a very lively Muppet ottoman, and had to peck it into promising never to speak of what it had overheard. (In her dreams, the little hatchlings all had curving orange-purple beaks and made the cutest coos.) She scratched in the loose straw under the bunk until she found what she’d hidden there, and pulled it out. The framed photo of Gonzo smiled lopsidedly at her in that endearing way he had, usually when somehow making losing a limb sound romantic. Camilla sighed softly. Those days were over. She was no spring chicken anymore, and the innocent young fledgling who’d followed the whatever around so adoringly had grown up and learned that dating a daredevil meant enduring nervewracking performances month after month, year after year…until she could no longer bear having to peck at bits of valerian just to calm down every night. She’d reached the point where every time Gonzo had eagerly begun to explain to her why the cannon-pasta routine would work this time, she’d held up a frustrated wing and told him smartly to bawk to the feather.

Why is he so set on this? Why can’t he just settle down? He could still do an act, just…just not one that might leave the chicks fatherless… She frowned. As if there would ever be chicks! Gonzo had changed the subject, visibly nervous, every time she’d cooed about eggs. She’d even left issues of The Nest laying around to encourage him to think about it, all to no avail…and so, though it broke her heart to do so, she’d finally had to tell him she needed some space to roost on her own. Sighing, she stroked the photograph with her feathertips. She didn’t know if he’d ever give up a life of danger…even just a little. Even for her.

Depressing though that still was this many months later, Camilla realized, more than anything right now…she felt worried. Very worried.

When Scooter rapped on her door, yelling “Camilla! Curtain in two!”, she dried her eyes, tucked the photo away safely again, and fluffed her feathers. Scooter went on down the row of dressing-rooms, banging on doors and giving the two-minute warning. Camilla touched up her mascara in the mirror, sighed, and hoped her eyes didn’t appear too puffy. The show had to go on, of course. She understood and accepted that perfectly…the difference was, for her, the show need not involve the probability of serious injury to be a success.

She tugged down the spangled corset she wore tonight, applied some combspray to the wattle atop her head so it would stick straight up, and headed out to the stage, ignoring the stares of the other birds. When a penguin tried to give her some saucy beak, she backwinged it off the landing without even looking back.

Miss Piggy noticed. My goodness, she thought, watching the chicken holding her head high as she fluttered down the stairs. Does someone need a good sit-down and a cup of tea? I think so. Nodding to herself, she made a mental note to arrange a chat with the chicken very soon…not that she objected to the penguin-slapdown. Biting back a smile as the wounded bird staggered to its flippers, clearly woozy, Piggy decided she liked Camilla’s style. She sashayed downstairs, carefully lifting her dress hem so nothing would snag. The dizzy penguin looked up at her as she passed it. “Gwawk?” it wondered.

Piggy snorted. “Serves you right. One should never impugn the reputation of a lady.” Behind her, low snorks informed Piggy the penguin had not learned its lesson.

She strode off a second later with her snout in the air, satisfied that the aquatic bird would take feminine graces more seriously in the future…assuming it ever emerged from the coma.

---------------------------------
“Zat was vairy…messy,” Pew told Gonzo when the whatever rejoined the director backstage. “Next tahme please conzidair zee cleaning zupplies budget! Ah haff to steal zem all from zee infomercials next door, and when zey come ovair wanting to know why all zee Deoxy-clean is missing, ah weel tell zem it was all your fault!”

“Okay, sorry,” Gonzo said, surprised. He noticed a small TV monitor in a corner, where a large-mouthed brown monster with huge rabbity ears glared at the ongoing show while it – she?—fussed with her tutu, before running out to turn cartwheels as the theme music swelled and subsided and Snookie introduced the next contestant. “Hey, cool! That Stoatlone guy is using Transylvanian Weregophers!”

“Oh, zat is just great!” Pew grumped, swinging his cane; a passing short furry goblin squeaked, batted back down the stairs it had just climbed up with a full cup of coffee. Pew seemed oblivious to the pained shrieking from the stairwell. “Where are mah cleaners? Cleanaaaiiiirrrss!”

A weak voice from the bottom of the stairs whimpered, “No…not the cleaners!”

Discomfited, Gonzo looked back at the screen; Snookie had yielded the stage floor, and the weasel was cracking his whip, urging a dozen coarse-furred, heavy-jawed creatures through a series of hoops. “Uh…do the gophers typically make a mess?”

“Deed zat eediot not haff a feesh on his head a moment ago?” Pew demanded.

“Well, technically, I think it was more like over his head…and his arms…and his chest…”

“Transylvanian Weregophers hate feesh! Zey attack whenevair zey smell it!” Pew complained, waving his cane around; Gonzo ducked, and the cane whacked a camera being moved into position for a side angle shot. The camera spun, in turn thwacking one of the lighting frackles tying down a long loop of electrical cable. Yelping, the frackle tripped backwards over the cable, his ankle snagging in a loose loop which immediately tightened with the weight of the huge light on the other end, yanked free of its clamp on the truss high above. The light fell with a crashing thud, the frackle’s head met the truss with a loud bonnnngg, and Pew shouted angrily, “Quiet! Quiet! Ah cannot hear myzelf theenk with all thees racket!”

The audience roared and laughed over the disturbing noise of howling gophers and a protesting and then screaming Sylvester: “AhhhWOOOO! Snork snork ahhhWOOOO!”

“Hey! Get off me! Hey! Back! Down! No! Sit! Staaaaayyy! Aaaaaaaaaaahhh!”

Perturbed, Gonzo stared at the little TV. A figure in a tattered, hooded black shroud slowly advanced across the glistening floor of the stage, and then the camera cut to the judges’ table. Hem was thoughtfully chewing on a strip of red fur, and Shakey was nowhere to be seen; B.D. shook his head and gave a claws-down sign. “Uh…your stage manager seems to be coming up to take care of it…” Gonzo told the director.

“Cleeeennaaaairs!” Pew bellowed.

“We’ll be right back after this word from the good folks at Deoxy-clean!” Snookie proclaimed, smiling broadly for his closeup.
------------------------

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Aw, it cut off for commercials before we got to say the line for the final contestant.
UD: What line?

Say it with me...
Ed, Ud, and :batty: There's a fungus... Among us! Mumfrey!

*Is worried for :cluck: and her ongoing dread at :concern:'s sheer lunacy.
Is far too many lines to comment on okay.

Rully like how Rizzo and Pepe are added conversationally. Hopefully the duo gets to Gonzo to become his agents before Morty and Phil are summoned up.

:batty: Transylwanian veregophers?
*Shakes head, he must've gotten them from those idiot Belmonts, always tracing into the castle, whip snapping at whatever creatures of the night pop up.

BTW: Newsie's caught up in traffic right? Seems a shame he keeps missing the MMN broadcasts.

Thank you sir or madam or whatever the case may be.
*That dissembodied hand tosses baggy of Oreos over to Kris.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
----------------------
Oh thankyou! Uh...they ARE Halloween Oreos right? With the orange filling? Nom nom nom nom!

Thanks for commenting WhiteRabbit! I do my best to keep everyone in character, even the obscure ones. Much of the Muppets' humor is based on the bizarre interactions between characters, so I feel their personalities should be the basis for anything even I as a fan write with them. Fun to do. :news:

If anyone has suggestions...I need a few more (disposable) stunt performers :concern: to round out the show's parade of them, a' la Americans Idle, Dumbing Down with the Stars or any other unintelligibly popular show you can think of...I'm winging a lot of this, and all suggestions will be seriously considered!

I will likely NOT be finished with this tale before Halloween...but eh. It's fun, right?

Extra points for ANYONE who knows what movie the "Triple Lindy" is from -- no peeking at IMDB! :wink:

------------------------------

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Weeelll... Found one of my guys I could suggest. Alexander Nitrokoff, the guy seen standing on top of the powder keg in one of the Stretching Room portraits, who ends up doing the ol' Daffy Duck trick of swallowing all the contents necessary to blow himself up. It's the kind of trick you can only do once. :crazy:

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I am unbelievably happy that Gonzo managed to pull off his amazing (ly stupid) stunt, but worried about whether or not harm will come to him.

I enjoyed the back-stage interaction between the guys, and then the mention of the upcoming interaction between the girls, er, ladies. Here's hoping that Camilla gets a chance to actually feather that nest at some future point.

Yay for candied gnats! Kermit will be sorry they got burnt, but you have to watch that brown sugar carefully or the whole thing can go wrong....

Waiting for Newsie to come to the rescue! (Or Kermit. Or Anyone!)