So It's Come to This: A Clip Show Thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
Eh, I think Truth or Square was one of those fake clip shows where they showed clips that never actually happened. I guess that counts.
Mr. Enter recently looked at that, coincidentally enough. I feel like it should have had some actual clips from older episodes, preferable fully automatic ones, seeing as how it was a 10th anniversary special.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Ya, clip shows are SO annoying nowadays. Though not all of them suck. They really only do justice for die-heart fans of the series. The best clip show in my opinion is the MT one. It just makes it funny, I don't know why. Then one of the several simpsons clip shows. I don't remember what the episode was called, but it's awesome how they make fun of clip shows by singing "when a long running series puts on a cheesy clip show..." I think it was a musical clip show. Never really liked any other ones, I guess the Seinfeld one was OK, but every other clip show I've seen were from kid cartoons I watched a long time ago, and a kid doesn't really know that it is a clip show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Mr. Enter recently looked at that, coincidentally enough. I feel like it should have had some actual clips from older episodes, preferable fully automatic ones, seeing as how it was a 10th anniversary special.
I'd say that the in show bits weren't that good, but the parts hosted by Patchy the Pirate with mock behind the scenes footage were pretty good. Too bad that they were so short. You could have made the entire special just Patchy showing and commenting on fake through the years clips like that and it would have been a better episode.

The fake flashback thing was done better with the Sam and Max series ending and Powerpuff Girls anyway.

Actually, I'm surprised Family Guy never had a real clip show. Other than anniversary specials like the filler at the end of Brian and Stewie. It would really put the "This is worse than the time..." bits to good use.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to say the clip show I hated, ARTHUR. Now let me backtrack for a moment, I've stopped watching the show since they destroyed the voices and the animation (though I still watch the old reruns), but I caught a glimpse of that one, and MY GOD it was JUST ATROCIOUS! Watch it if you dare.

It's just so cheesy and stupid, because not only are there barely 10 episodes in the season, but they had to cram this in. It ruined so many good Arthur moments by using the cheapest flash animation, and such a dumb plot. Honestly this has got to be one of the worst clip shows ever. The only bright spot is that they kept the old voices in the flashbacks, but WHO CARES when they destroy the animation!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Like I said in the Arthur thread, the clips of the original animation only serve to make the flash animation look worse and more obvious. I hated when they redubbed George's dialogue with the wrong tone and inflictions, taking the emotion out of the scene. It had a lame set up, things were actually remembered wrong (which seems to be par for the course with Arthur)... but the thing that makes it the worst is that it was the last episode of the season and played directly after the horrible Sue Ellen becoming a whiny, easily offended little bag of emotions because of Arthur's out of character passive aggressiveness.

You do not follow up a BAD episode with a clip show. That's a huge screw you to the audience.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The stiff movements of the body parts are very obvious in the Flash segments. 9 Story can and has done better than this.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Aside from that, it makes you wonder why it was even a good idea to do a clip show of the series utilizing clips of completely different animation. The thing just feels like filler all over. Even the introduction is longer and slower than usual. I don't even think it was done out of cheapness, so much laziness. Like they had 19 11 minute cartoons and had to rush another one out.

The framing isn't even too clever, and almost cements Arthur's place in the show as the secondary character that helps move the plot along. But still better than "look how far we've come" bits I mentioned earlier.

Seinfeld had 2 of them... and one runs an hour, leaving 3 clip shows in syndication. I think Taxi also had an hour long one, 2 more in syndication taking up valuable real estate. I'm sure there are others, but I can't remember them. I just don't see the point of them in syndication. They don't even have any good framing.

Though, to be fair, one of the Seinfeld ones does have clips of Jerry Stiller bloopers. That's the one bright spot, right there.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The Simpsons clip shows are hit-or-miss. I don't care too much for the first two clip shows. That's a little ironic, since the first one takes place on April Fools Day, one of my favorite holidays. And does the second one have any new footage at all? It took a long time before I noticed that even the linking footage was comprised of existing animation with redubbed dialogue. But I really like The Simpsons 135th Episode Spectacular, All Singing All Dancing, and Gump Roast. Has the show had a clip show since the switch to HD (and would the current show include full frame clips)?
The writers for the Simpsons hated doing clip shows, but were forced to. They tried to make them as entertaining as possible. Yes, the second one did have new footage (though some was repurposed from older episodes, and from earlier in the same episode).

The one for the Critic is especially sad. It's animation is reused a lot (which was the case in a few episodes that season) and the clips are virtually nothing but the throwaway movie gags. And that was their series finale. Ah well. Milton Berle was funny in it.

I guess the fact that I plan on doing some clip shows for my own improv show at school means I don't mind clip shows (already did one at the end of the year). I see it as a way of showing the funniest games/bits.

Lest we forget, SESAME STREET is basically been a clip show for 45 years.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
Some anime do this too, like Sailor Moon. Many people thoght DiC made that episode (most countries skipped it), but surprise, surprise-it was part of the original Japanese run! Pokémon had a few that were Japan-exclusive, unlike Sailor Moon.
Here's the soundtrack to the Animaniacs clip show episode (I couldn't find the real episode), which is a wonderful piece of music.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Clerks animated series actually did a clip show for its second episode.... Many of the same clips from the first produced episode were reshown over and over, and I think they repeated a few clips from earlier in that episode, before showing a bunch of short flashbacks as if they were clips from existing episodes.

And then ABC had to ruin things by airing the fourth episode first and then the second episode second (and obviously no clips from that episode were included).

Speaking of clip shows where the clips only serve as looking better than the current animation, I'm surprised that the Daffy and Speedy short Muchos Locos reanimated the clips and rerecorded voices and music instead of showing the existing footage (it would have been a big money saver at a time when theatrical animation had smaller budgets), unless they just didn't want the old clips to look better than the new footage.

The writers for the Simpsons hated doing clip shows, but were forced to. They tried to make them as entertaining as possible. Yes, the second one did have new footage (though some was repurposed from older episodes, and from earlier in the same episode).
I meant new animation as opposed to reusing existing animation in the linking footage.