So if they actually aired the Muppet Show...

rexcrk

Reaction score
Hey I was wondering something the other day.

If they actually aired the Muppet Show on TV, would any of the musical numbers be cut out? (Like they are on the DVD).

Actually that question can go to Muppet Family Christmas too.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
rexcrk said:

If they actually aired the Muppet Show on TV, would any of the musical numbers be cut out? (Like they are on the DVD).

Yes, they can be shown on TV without having to cut any of the music numbers.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I don't know about anywhere else but here in Australia the television stations were notorious for editing bits and pieces out of the episodes, even non-musical sections :frown:

Though they did initially air them uncut. It was only on re-runs they started to abridge them.:mad:

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
The Tv Speicals have the rights but when they were made Dvd's and VHs Tapes were not big so the rights weren't negotated

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
Though they did initially air them uncut. It was only on re-runs they started to abridge them.:mad:
Many TV shows are shortened when shown in syndicated reruns (yes, The Muppet Show was produced for syndication). Even the original american broadcasts were abridged (two extra minutes were produced for UK broadcasts). Howevewr, it seems like while most TV shows always have the same edits when reran in syndication or cable, The Muppet Show is normally edited in different ways (the same could be said about Looney Tunes shorts after the mid-1980s). I think networks normally get uncut Muppet Show episodes and choose how they are edited, while many other shows seem like the production companies edit them for syndication and use the same copies for all reruns (that would make it easier on the stations airing the reruns so that the stations themselves do not have to edit them).

David French

Reaction score
rexcrk said:

No, because the rights for all the pieces of music were secured for TV broadcast right from the beginning and therefore don't have to be cleared.

It's only for commercial release that you have to renegotiate for music to be cleared, although thankfully some companies (such as ITC) had the foresight to negotiate the commercial rights for the use of music at the same time as they were making their programmes. Therefore, if TMS (and the various TMS specials) were still owned by ITC (or rather Granada International) then the cut songs would have been on the DVD set.

travellingpat

Reaction score
It probably would be unedited but would we get the UK spots?

Da Dogster

Reaction score
The Eddited Muppet Show

rexcrk said:

Nicelodian did air some shows back in the 90's but it was (Of Coruse) Edited.
Example. Episode Rita Sceen edited The Opeing Number where she was
dancing with a Full body Muppet and being rough with it.
Replaced With The Closing Number Fever with Rita and Animal.

There was so many clips cut by the network as well.
Example: First run Episodes had some spots cut (which is now called Uk
Spots)

On one of the Tapes I have bought from the store It had two shows on it
Vincet Price and Alice Cooper. It had The Closing number on Vincent Price cut as well.

We Fans Of The Muppets State Enough is Enough Show Us The Muppet Show Uncut Unedited, And Yes I will sneek this word in Uncensored.

David French

Reaction score
travellingpat said:
It probably would be unedited but would we get the UK spots?
Again it would depend on the broadcaster and also it might depend on what tapes they play. Some tapes have got the UK spots and others don't.

rexcrk

Reaction score
Hmm, that's cool info.

I would love it if some channel aired The Muppet Show so that I could tape the episodes that have musical cuts so I could make my OWN DVD of un-edited episodes (which I already have to do with SpongeBob because of censorship :mad: :boo: :grouchy: )