So I was talking to a non-fan and...

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
It's amazing just was misconceptions people can have about characters like The Muppets. It's so easy to make mistakes and I say this because I used to do it all the time. Know WE all know about the Muppet's history, but there are some people like my friend (let's call her Lola) who are clueless and it can make for some irritating, yet interesting conversation. I'll show you what I mean.

The following conversation occurred at my house while 'Lola' and I were watching The Muppet Christmas Carol. We had been studying the novel at school, so it was a perfect excuse to set up a movie night...

During the opening, Lola looks confused while I'm just entranced in the music:

Lola: Hillsy? (My nickname)

Me (still entranced): Yeah?

Lola: Who's Jim Henson?

Me: Jim Henson?

Lola: Yeah, the guy from the dedication.

Me (brushing off that she ignored Richard Hunt): Oh yeah, he created the Muppets. He was Kermit The Frog.

Lola: Oh...Did he kark it or something?

Me (that's a little insensitive): Yeah, he's been gone for, like, 20 years. He was pretty young.

Later on, during the scene of Fozziwig's party:

Lola (looking excited): Hey! I've seen him before- I recognise him!

Me: Really? You know Fozzie?

Lola: Yeah! He was my favourite on Sesame Street!

(Let it go, Hillsy. Let it go...)

Me: Fozzie was never on Sesame Street...

Lola (thinks about it for a minute or so): Ohhhhh! I was thinking of Grover!

(How does she even get those two mixed up? Let it go, Hillsy. Let it go....)

Lola: They are all so alike..

(They are nothing alike! Argh!)

Once the movie was completed, I asked her what she thought of the movie.

Lola: It was good. I liked Tiny Tim...

(Well, that's good...)

...., but Yoda is still my favourite Muppet.

(Come over here so I can slap you senseless!)

Am I the only one who gets this stuff? Please share your stories so I don't feel so alone!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's always been one of my biggest pet peeves when people mistake a Classic Muppet as being from Sesame Street, or a Sesame Street Muppet being from TMS.

Misskermie

Reaction score
I would've yelled at her.
:stick_out_tongue:

It's like when kids at school say,
"Sesame Street's not Muppets!"
Makes me mad.

But yours is worse because well... GOSH! Why Yoda? :stick_out_tongue:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Meh, no big deal. There are people who are not Muppet fans. So what? You wouldn't want people snapping at you because you don't know about their favorite sport, or watch the latest anime, or care about Dr. Who. So unless they're razzing you about your fandom, don't razz them about not sharing it.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Everybody has an opinion, and it's good that this friend is at LEAST sharing your interest. Even though she doesn't know as much about it, she's at LEAST trying. It's like if I went to a Heavy Metal concert with a friend of mine. I don't care for that kind of music, but I can fake my way through it. I at least made an effort to enjoy the things that they did.

Daniel

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Why do I feel like I've opened a can of worms?

I get the point that she's not a Muppet fan and she did at least take an interest in it. But the thing is that she has known me long enough to know that there are three subjects you don't screw around with when you're with me.

1. Muppets
  2. Harry Potter
  3. MUPPETS!
She was pushing my buttons. I know it. She knows it. Everybody knows it. I had to suffer through all three Twilight books, then the four movies, and then her lectures on why I'm stupid for not enjoying it. The least she can do is keep quiet because I've never forced it on her.
I'm not afraid to admit that I do sometimes overreact about things that seem so small to them. However, while I may be peeved, I'd never yell at someone I'm so close to.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Add me to the club for being stupid for not enjoying twilight then :stick_out_tongue: I can't believe how many people thought I was insane for not liking it. Uh...I ask my friends...do I LOOK like someone who wants to read Twilight? I come to school dressed in black, wearing band shirts...no. I don't :stick_out_tongue:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Twilight is essentially responisble for why sane (subjective) people no longer like vampires: Twilight became popular (though more for the romantic aspect, not necessarily the vampire aspect), then to capitalize on it's popularity, we ended up with all these different kinds of cable shows about vampires, and it's gotten to the point that people are just sick of vampires.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Alright guys, I appreciate the enthusiasm, but this is Muppet Central. Not a 'I-Hate-Twilght-Zone'. I was just using it as an example.