so any kermit swamp years reviews?

beaker

Reaction score
it's hard to believe there hasnt been any reviews posted online that i know of for KSY. c'mon, i know at least a few of you who come on MC have seen it(you 1337 little insiders you)
Im not expecting a 'oh man! best muppet thing since...' but
still, is it true what Kennedy said at mfest about lots of nods to us hardcore fans, references, that kind of thing? Just wondering if its worth a rent or a buy is all(ie: does it truly add to muppet canon, or is just worth a rent to see how bad it is in that bean bunny straight to home video 1993 special kind of way?)

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Cory,

Only SOME inside Henson people have seen rough vopies of it.

see ya

Luke

Reaction score
Warrick, there have been many people outside of Henson who have seen a rough cut, and the reports aren't exactly all that positive. It looks kinda ok to me though !

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Luke,

Oh right - LOL

Well i suppose those people would be burning their bridges by telling the public about it, eh ?

Did you get my email about the Impersonations thing ?

See ya

Luke

Reaction score
Hey Warrick,

I think one person mentioned it briefly here - he was a puppeteer but i can't remember who he was exactly. I think Columbia would have put out press clip tapes by now as well. I agree it would be burning bridges though as you say.

I got your email about the impersonations - Thank you ! I'm just putting together a reply right now for people who are interested in being involved !

beaker

Reaction score
Well, I just saw 5 minutes of ksy back in december...I dont know. I'd have to see it. The producers promised lots of little nods for the hardcore muppet fan. But overall, I just...the whole 'muppet being kidnapped by backwoods hillbillys' thing to me is as stale as the 8-track. I will say, it was neat hearing how they filmed in *actual* enviroments, something sorely missing from the last 3 muppet films and elmo in grouchland.

Kermie Lover

Reaction score
Beaker- I so agree about the real enviroments vs. 'sets' point you made. I think the last good job JHP did with an indoor set in a Muppet-related movie was in "Muppet Christmas Carol", and how long ago was that?! Geez, those sets in Elmo in Grouchland were PAAAAAAAAA-THETIC!!!!!:embarrassed: Aside from the equally pathetic script, just the scenery alone would be enough to drive any remotely talented set designer to tears!

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Beaker- I so agree about the real enviroments vs. 'sets' point you made.<<<

thanx! It has long been my contention on MC that the magic of Muppet films are real locations and original songs sung by the Muppets...virtually non existent in MFS. But even MFS ad some real locations as...

>>>Geez, those sets in Elmo in Grouchland were PAAAAAAAAA-THETIC!!!!! Aside from the equally pathetic script, just the scenery alone would be enough to drive any remotely talented set designer to tears!<<<

Too true! While in 1999 it was great to see not one but two Muppet features on the big screen, man that grouchland. Like MFS, the first 20 minutes was gold. But also like MFS it goes into lame, drab sets and tired script. Though MFS did have some comic gems even after the film went south(like any time Pepe, Beaker, or Rizzo were on screen) Grouchland...ugh.

So yeah, Swamp Years is in real locations for some scenes...but man I think we all need tokeep in mind this KSY feature is pre new renniasiance JHC...upon which I have high hopes for 2003.

SuperGrover

Reaction score
For some reason I was at Target tonight, and there they had really cool extended previews of Kermit's Swamp Years playing on monitors all throughout the electronics part of the store. With advertisements to the effect of "Be here at Target on Sept 3 for everybody's favorite Froggy's direct to video/dvd release of Kermit's Swamp Years!"

I thought it looked quite a bit better than I was originally anticipating. Lots of action, scenic settings, ponds, etc. The majority of what I saw on the preview was outside exterior shots. There was some scenes of Kermit & Goggles running through the halls of what looked like a school. And while I'm not sure if I saw Piggy or not, I did see the younger Statler & Waldorf as well as regular, non-teenage Kermit.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the report Travis and watching the monitor for every little bit of detail. :eek:

Columbia is making some large stand-up displays available to stores as well, so hopefully we'll continue to see more and more promotion (hopefully some commercials too) in the next three weeks.