Snuffy's Parents Get a Divorce

Redsonga

Reaction score
I was looking at the wiki and found the page on this episode. I was eight/ nine when this episode was made..and even though the page says it was never aired I do remember seeing it on my PBS station.I was wondering if there could have been a chance my area was a part of this 'test study' the page talks about?
Because I don't think I am just crazy about remembering it :frown:

My parents have been divorced since I was three so I recall the episode actually having a deep effect on me.

Erine81981

Reaction score
That would be neat to hear about. I know most about the episode just by reading it but cool to know that you might have been the city or town that they used this as a test study.

Redsonga

Reaction score
That line, the one they use in the page, was actually the part that stayed with me the most , the ' Just because parents have an argument, or get upset with each other, doesn't mean they're getting a divorce... Or that they don't love each other anymore.'
All I know for sure is many more than just 60 children must have seen it, maybe my station did'nt hear it had been cut and played it once? Hmmm...
I remember the teddy bear scene to, it did look like she was really doing something awful to it...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That is interesting! Well as best as you can remember, do you think it helped you understand the concept of divorce, or did it just leave more questions? Without trying to get too personal of course. :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
That is interesting! Well as best as you can remember, do you think it helped you understand the concept of divorce, or did it just leave more questions? Without trying to get too personal of course. :smile:
I remember it actually made me feel worst about divorce than I had felt before:sympathy: . It was sort of as if I could see the really bad time Snuffy's family was going though and could'nt do anything about it.
I actually think I blocked out the part about Snuffy's daddy because I have always been a daddy's girl and the idea of Alice's never coming back (it seemed to me as if he was never returning from the feeling of it ) was just too much for me. My parents are still good friends you see, so I did not get why it could'nt be the same for Snuffy's.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Hmm, yes that's a very good point. I know it's not exactly the same but they've shown regular characters getting divorced or separated on The Simpsons and South Park and even on shows like that, it made me genuniely sad and angry to see them going through it.

That's interesting that it seemed to you that Snuffy's Dad wasn't returning. The Wiki article said a lot of kids didn't seem to understand that the Dad would be back on weekends. To me, that seems pretty obvious that they wouldn't get it. Little kids don't always comprehend the passage of time the way adults do. I didn't even know what a week was until grammar school. I mean, I knew the days of the week, but the full concept of a week.

And also many young kids often don't understand the concepts of trust and anticipation yet. Just because Dad has come back every weekend so far, that's no guarantee in their minds that he will continue to do so.

Redsonga

Reaction score
he Wiki article said a lot of kids didn't seem to understand that the Dad would be back on weekends. To me, that seems pretty obvious that they wouldn't get it.
You know, I don't remember them ever actually saying he would be back for weekends...
Because I would have understood that fine, since my daddy had me every other weekend...
But I don't recall them actually stating that he had visiting time, it seemed to me to me the only focus on the 'this isn't my home anymore' side :frown:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well maybe it's sort of like with the Mr. Hooper episode. They wanted to focus mainly on the most disturbing aspect of dying (obviously that the person is never coming back) so kids wouldn't get a false sense of security.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well maybe it's sort of like with the Mr. Hooper episode. They wanted to focus mainly on the most disturbing aspect of dying (obviously that the person is never coming back) so kids wouldn't get a false sense of security.
Even so, I don't know, it made me very depressed not for myself but for Snuffy's family. As if it was a higher level of divorce I had never seen before, like a car crash you can't look away from...
I can understand why they never showed it again, even though up until I found the wiki I never knew it was not shown anymore :sympathy:

Mr. Hooper died the year I was born so I never knew about him as a person, but my grandpa died when I was three so I learned about death first hand early on. Seeing that episode now I feel bad for Big Bird because my family..I dunno, I think they just made me more ready for the fact of someone dieing. So I want to hug Big Bird in the same way as Snuffy for his hard time with divorce, because I was lucky enough to take both issues well thanks to my family...

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Wow! That's amazing that they actually showed this episode where you live.