Slackbot Builds Puppets #3: Shonky Fraggle

Slackbot

Reaction score

Behold Shonky Fraggle, my current puppet-in-progress. Unless I find something that needs fixing or think of something to add to him, the puppet itself is done, and I just need to clothe him. I'm thinking something yukata-like.

His hands seem enormous because he's a live-hand puppet. As I've never tried making or performing that way, it'll be an interesting experiment. I'll only work his left hand, but both hands can be performed. When not in use I can tuck the "sleeve" into his right elbow.

Originally this was meant to be Cantus. I thought it'd be so darn keen to make a Cantus replica! However, when I tried to dye the fur orange things went terribly wrong. After five dye jobs the fur was much too pastel. On the sixth I tried deepening the color with brown, and that resulted in this, I don't know what color it is, color. At that point I decided that this just was not destined to be Cantus, and redesigned him to be another member of the same tribe. (I call 'em Crested Arctic Fraggles. Kind of the emperor penguins of Fraggledom.)

charlietheowl

Reaction score
It looks great! He looks very excited and happy and the crest looks cool. Thanks for sharing!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Is he going to break into song about his crest? In a Johnny Bravo-esque voice? Yeah, his crest. It's the best. His chrylofragglis crest. Sorry, got that from a Dinosaur Train song.
BTW: What happened to that Sneetch skull you were working on?

Hubert

Reaction score
I like him a lot. Once again, very nice job on your puppet buildings, it's something I envy. :smile:

Slackbot

Reaction score
charlietheowl: Thanks!

The Count: The Sneetch skull is inside his head. As I said, I wanted to make a Cantus puppet, but I was hesitant to say so from the beginning, in case he didn't turn out right. And, well... As for his voice, I wasn't sure how he would sound when I was making him, but when I put him on a voice came to me. It's a little like the head Archbanger's.

Hubert: Thanks. I'm nowhere as good as I'd like to be, but with each puppet I learn more. My next one will be a lot easier. I've already dyed the fleece, and I've tested and confirmed that the feathers will take dye. Whew!

Slackbot

Reaction score

...And here's Shonky in a robe that, like him, has seen better days. You can't see well because of the washed-outness of this photo (I'm a puppeteer, not a photographer!) but the robe is in the style of a yukata. Also, nertz, you can't really see his beard in this pic. Maybe this weekend when my mother comes over I'll be able to get to to take a few decent pics of him in action rather than posed on a dowel with his mouth hanging open.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
The robe does remind me of Cantus' threads. I guess that tribe of Fraggles likes to wear shiny clothes.

Thanks for sharing!

scandell

Reaction score
Fraggles are not in my area of "muppet expertise", but has there ever been a furry faced fraggle? :smile:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
If you look closely at Cantus, you can see that he has a furry face.

scandell

Reaction score
oh yeah! Very nice! Love it!. Where are you buying those wonderful feather plumes from Slackbot? (the ones you use for hair)