Sir Peter Ustinov passed away last night

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Ohh, I'm sad to hear that...:frown:...I really enjoy his "Muppet Show", and always love his cameo in GMC..." 'not even feh li'l ol' vous' ".

At least he did live a long, full life...and his work will be admired for years to come. :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
From Ananova.com :-

Sir Peter Ustinov dies at 82

Oscar-winning actor Sir Peter Ustinov has died in Switzerland. He was 82.

A close friend said that Ustinov died on Sunday night. The British-born actor had lived in Switzerland for decades.

A person who answered the telephone at Ustinov's home in a mountain village overlooking Lake Geneva confirmed he had died but declined to give further details.

Born in London, on April 16, 1921, the only son of a Russian artist mother and a journalist father, Ustinov claimed also to have Swiss, Ethiopian, Italian and French blood - everything except English.

Ustinov was educated at the prestigious Westminster School, but hated it and left at 16. He appeared in his first revue and had his first stage play presented in London in 1940, when he was 19.

In a career lasting 60 years, Ustinov appeared in roles ranging from Emperor Nero to Agatha Christie's Belgian detective Hercule Poirot.

He won Academy Awards for supporting actor in the films Spartacus and Topkapi in the 1960s.

More recently he was the voice of Babar the Elephant, played the role of a doctor in the film Lorenzo's Oil, and in 1999 appeared as the Walrus to Pete Postlethwaite's Carpenter in a multi-million-dollar TV movie version of Alice in Wonderland.

Ustinov faced criticism in the early 1990s for his controversial views on the emergence of Russia from Communist rule, and for his unstinting support for Mikhail Gorbachev, but his long service as a goodwill ambassador for UNICEF led UN Secretary General Kofi Annan to joke that Ustinov was the man to take over from him.

Beebers

Reaction score
That's a shame. I loved him. He was both a fine man in his personal life and a treat to watch in his performances.

:frown: :frown: :frown:

dbarrie

Reaction score
Sir Peter was a great actor and comedic performer. He was very good in his GMC cameo and in his guest star appearance on TMS. I also remember he did the voice of the cowardly lion Prince John in Disney's animated version of "Robin Hood." Haven't seen him in many other things, but I am aware of his other work. Did you know that he once one an Oscar for one of his more serious roles? He will be missed.

OI MuppetFan

Whatever

Reaction score
That's sad. :frown: No more "very brief cameos."

mattyboy

Reaction score
From BBC website: " But accolades did not breed snobbery in Sir Peter and he continued to appear on US television in such roles as King George and Dr Samuel Johnson. He also relished a cameo appearance in The Muppet Show in 1976. "

Very nice down - to - earth man, sorely missed.

I have a copy of his autobiography which my Grandad gave me before he dies and it's excellent. I also, apart from the muppet projects, loved him in 'Blackbeard's Ghost.'

dbarrie

Reaction score
Actually, I just learned that Sir Peter was awarded two Oscars, one for 'Spartacus' (1960) and the other for 'Topkapi' (1964).

I also heard on the news this morning that he loved visiting my city of Toronto. He must've liked coming to Toronto because he once referred to it as "New York run by the Swiss."

OI MuppetFan

Whatever

Reaction score
From MSN:
"His imposing figure, variously described as resembling a teddy bear, a giant panda or a Georgian frontage, began 12 pounds at birth and stayed with him throughout his career."

LOL!