Similarities between Muppet Babies and Looney Tunes

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Jim Henson created the Muppet Babies for The Muppets Take Manhattan, and after that we were inundated with horrible spin-offs like A Pup Named Scooby Doo, Flintstone Kids, Tom and Jerry Kids, and it still goes on today. There were duo shows such as Popeye and Son, Pink Panther and Son...the list goes on.

Muppet Babies was the first in any franchise to make a big deal out of prequelling adult characters as babies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Don't forget the crappy "Gadget boy and Heather" show.... at least Don Adams supplied the voice... oy!

Yeah, baby Looney Tunes was pathetic. the others were passable, Tiny Toons was great (though I much preferred Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain). But Muppet Babies was the best of all of them....

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
hdofu said:
The concept was simmilar, but Tiny Toons was a vastly superior result
Even though I'm a fan of Muppet Babies, I have to agree that Tiny Toon Adventures probably did pull the concept off better than most shows with that theme. It was probably because the characters in Tiny Toons weren't younger versions of the Looney Tunes characters, like the Muppet Babies and so many other shows that were inspired by that. They may have resembled their adult counterparts to a point, but that was where the similarities ended. The TTA characters were their own individual characters who had their own schtick and their own lives.

-Kim

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
An important thing to keep in mind is that Muppet Babies was the first babies/kids version of classic characters. The Muppets Babies were the first television show to use the "babies" concept.

Many others followed because Muppet Babies was so sucessful (Flintstone Kids, Scooby Doo Kids, Tiny Toons, etc).

McFraggle

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Muppet Babies was the first in any franchise to make a big deal out of prequelling adult characters as babies.
I think they did a better job than anybody else as well. Tiny Toons was great but it's not really a prequel as much as a spin-off.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Jim Henson created the Muppet Babies for The Muppets Take Manhattan, and after that we were inundated with horrible spin-offs like A Pup Named Scooby Doo, Flintstone Kids, Tom and Jerry Kids, and it still goes on today.
Careful. I liked "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo." Anyway, I really liked "Muppet Babies." I used to watch that one a lot more than the original Muppet shows and movies.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Most folks raised during the Muppet Babies years have watched them more than TMS or most other puppet related Muppet productions. I have a cousin who still considers Muppet Babies the ORIGINAL Muppets.

Pup named Scooby Doo wasn't TERRIBLE, but I still can't stomach it. I prefer the older versions of those characters...sans Scrappy. Scrappy is actually the worst thing to ever happen to ANY franchise!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Most folks raised during the Muppet Babies years have watched them more than TMS or most other puppet related Muppet productions. I have a cousin who still considers Muppet Babies the ORIGINAL Muppets.
Personally, I had the rare privalage (sp?) of being able to see TMS reruns Saturday morning (locally) an hour before MB was on... SWEET!

Pup named Scooby Doo wasn't TERRIBLE, but I still can't stomach it. I prefer the older versions of those characters...sans Scrappy. Scrappy is actually the worst thing to ever happen to ANY franchise!!
I liked it myself, considering Scooby Doo is a pretty campy show. I prefer the newer, "What's new Scooby Doo?" show because there's more possibilities (not just throwing on a costume) and the dialogue is pretty self satirical in it's own way (funnier than the self satirical stuff from the live action movie). My favorite example:

Villain: I would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for you meddling kids.

Velma: Technically you DID get away with it. No one got hurt, so you didn't do anything wrong.

But totall agreement on Scrappy.... people complain about the Great Gazoo on Flintstones, Orbity on Jetsons, and Corperal Capeman from Inspector Gadget... Scrappy was just the worst thing they did to the frnachise, even worse than the 3000 ripoffs of Scooby Doo Hanna Barbara spat out in the 70's....