*Sigh* It's That Time of the Decade Again...

ISNorden

Reaction score
I'd love to see a "classic segment flashback" feature as part of Season 40, too--and have even come up with a way to frame/introduce the old stuff to kids who'd never seen it. (Remember all the Season 1 clips framed by Bert and Ernie watching TV? I was thinking that the flashbacks could open with an instrumental version of "Things That I Remember" as Bert and Ernie get ready to watch homemade videos of their favorite clips.)

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I was thinking that the flashbacks could open with an instrumental version of "Things That I Remember" as Bert and Ernie get ready to watch homemade videos of their favorite clips.)
The problem is that, ever since the 35th anniversary, Bert's been non-existant and ever since 2 seasons ago, so have both Ernie & Big Bird.

ISNorden

Reaction score
The problem is that, ever since the 35th anniversary, Bert's been non-existant and ever since 2 seasons ago, so have both Ernie & Big Bird.
Not so much "non-existent" as "confined to repeat sketches"; the flashback frames (which could include some clip-specific remarks) would at least give Bert and Ernie some new material.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Not so much "non-existent" as "confined to repeat sketches"; the flashback frames (which could include some clip-specific remarks) would at least give Bert and Ernie some new material.
Too true, but then new fans would be like, "Who are they?" and we old fogies would have to explain who they are, which saddens me. And it especially even moreso saddens me if the person who has never seen the characters has their first memory be that 'Homicide on the Street' sketch in Family Guy or that openly gay bollucks on Robot Chicken. :frown:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
When I was little I could never tell the difference between parts made in the 70's and those from the 80's and I like to think I was pretty watchful :wink:. I don't know, good segments stand the test of time IMHO...
Sesame Workshop discovered that kids were picking up the differences in production values between current programming and stuff mid-80s and before. Many kids don't care, but in this culture they are taught to "upgrade" and that new is better. Ugh, of course. I'm with you on the old vs new, however they began to reshoot old segments (Jim and Frank segments too:frown: ) in order to match the current production values. I really don't like that idea and think the "retro/classic corner" concept could remedy that. :smile:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
wwfpooh said:
Too true, but then new fans would be like, "Who are they?" and we old fogies would have to explain who they are, which saddens me. And it especially even moreso saddens me if the person who has never seen the characters has their first memory be that 'Homicide on the Street' sketch in Family Guy or that openly gay bollucks on Robot Chicken. :frown:
Sorry, but I don't agree with this at all. I'm sure children of all ages still know who Ernie and Bert are. They have not disappeared from the viewing eye at all. There's still an Ernie and Bert sketch in almost every episode of the show, they still appear in the opening theme, they star in books about the characters, "Rubber Duckie" was a number 1 hit song, the first preview released for "Elmo's Christmas Countdown" was a clip of "The Bert and Ernie Christmas Special," and both of them are still very prominent in merchandise and Sesame Street Live! shows. Bert and Ernie have gone nowhere, and they aren't going anywhere. :smirk:

Back on topic, I find it shocking and disgusting that our country has sunk down so low that they would contemplate cutting fundage of something that fuels the brains of the future of the country. I don't think the government realizes how much children need a station like PBS. It was brought up earlier that families who can't afford cable or satelite television relies on PBS to help their children see a brighter side of the world and make them see that they can aspire to more.

American children need Sesame Street. Sesame Street is a place for kids to be themselves, be free, feel safe, learn, make new friends, and most importantly have fun. For some reason the government must not realize how much of an impact Sesame Street has on children, but hopefully they'll see the error of their ways before it's too late. :wisdom:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
There's still an Ernie and Bert sketch in almost every episode of the show,
But such sketches are becoming less frequent.
they still appear in the opening theme,
So does Big Bird and he's hardly on the show anymore, sometimes.
they star in books about the characters,
See the above answer.
"Rubber Duckie" was a number 1 hit song,
Key word being "was".
the first preview released for "Elmo's Christmas Countdown" was a clip of "The Bert and Ernie Christmas Special,"
But I bet a majority of kids today only remember Elmo's impact in that film as its star.
and both of them are still very prominent in merchandise and Sesame Street Live! shows.
But like Sesame Place before it practically vanished, the stage shows and merchandise are starting to add more of the new characters & in order to add them, old classic characters sadly often go by the wayside.
and they aren't going anywhere
Never say never.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
On my PBS, Mister Rogers's Neighborhood is on every weekday at 1:00, while Reading Rainbow (new school I'm afraid, they don't air old school episodes anymore) airs every weekday at 2:00.
They do all the time where I'm at.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I just hope that with Elmo having gone corporate and his friends--Baby Bear, Zoe, Abby, etc.--right behind him in seats of power, I hope that doesn't mean that the Street gets a whitewash and loses the charm it once had. But with the credits having changed...again (what with the name of the company changed from the Children's Television Workshop to Sesame Workshop) and more classic characters being regulated to a mere segment, it seems that the Street may be getting another transition or something. :frown:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
it seems that the Street may be getting another transition or something. :frown:
It a way it kind of is and still is. But that's just how things kind of things go I guess.:smirk: I'll admit that the show does have a different feel to it then it used to...