Should we have the Muppet Central Awards this year?

Should we have the Muppet Central Awards this year?

• Total voters

Slackbot

Reaction score
One thing that I think would help the voting process is, when the ballots are posted, link to the items nominated! Make it easy for people to click and see why something may be worthy of attention rather than expecting them to hunt for it themselves. This, I think, would encourage more people to vote, or at least not discourage them.

How many people actually searched out the needle-in-a-haystack nominees for "Best Post"? Not me.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
What would the awards be?
Best Post?
Most Likes?
Highest Poster?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Again, to further educate the new(er) members, there were several different categories that applied to a variety of different specifications, not just members... but, just to give you an idea, here are just some of the categories that we usually have each year (I'm not naming all, just those off the top of my head):

Funniest Member
Silliest Member
Nicest Member
Sweetest Member
Prominant Member (whoever seems to post the most during the year)
Most Under-rated Member (yes, we've actually had that category before)
Biggest Muffiner
Biggest Ziffeler
Biggest Thread Killer (especially back in the T*K*O days)
Biggest Classic Muppets Fan
Biggest Sesame Street Fan
Biggest Fraggle Rock Fan
Best Thread
Best Fanfiction Writer (we also had best writer for back in the days when MC had original webseries like The Moppet Family, T*K*O, No Day But Today, etc)
Best Fanfic
Best Fan Artist

Just to name a few.

I don't believe we've ever had a catgeory for just one specific post,that would be rather impractical to do, but there have been best thread categories before.

We also would have a "Lifetime Achievement Award" for whoever seemed to have the most significant impact on the MC community that year (though, I'm pretty sure that award was given to Phil repeatedly a number of years).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I still think we should skip the nomination process completely and just tally the number of votes for each person. I feel like knowing who was nominated causes more hard feelings than it needs to.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
The lifetime Award did go to Phil and it also went to Jerry Nelson, and last year we gave the award to Ryan (thprawncraker) So it has changed over the years.

Slackbot

Reaction score
For the record, here is the list of categories from last year's ballot:

Funniest Forum Member of 2010
Most Prominent Forum Member of 2010
Most Underrated Forum Member of 2010
Most Creative Current Signature
Outstanding Thread of 2010
Outstanding Post of 2010
Craziest Member of 2010
Most Thoughtful Member of 2010
Outstanding Reporter of Muppet News in 2010
Biggest Muffin Purveyor of 2010
Most Informative Member of 2010
Outstanding New Member of 2010
Biggest Supporter of The Muppets in 2010
Biggest Supporter of Sesame Street in 2010
Biggest Supporter of Fraggle Rock in 2010
Biggest Supporter of Jim Henson's Fantasy Worlds in 2010
Biggest Supporter of The Jim Henson Company in 2010
Biggest Supporter of Muppet Merchandise in 2010
Biggest Supporter of Sesame Street Merchandise in 2010
Biggest Supporter of the Muppeteers in 2010
Most Enthusiastic Forum Member of 2010

Outstanding Fan Artist of 2010
Outstanding Fan Art of 2010 (Not on ballot because only one item was nominated; award was given)
Outstanding Fan-Fiction Written in 2010
Outstanding Fan-Fiction Writer of 2010
Outstanding Forum Puppeteer of 2010
Outstanding Forum Puppet Builder of 2010
Most Informative Puppetry Instruction of 2010
Most Dedicated Muppet Fan of 2010
The Muppet Central Forum Lifetime Achievement Award

RedPiggy

Reaction score
As award shows on TV (I think, as I haven't watched one in forever) have awards and musical numbers or whatever, perhaps "lag time" could be filled with the talent show idea?

"Here's an award. Here's an award. Here's an award. Now, a ditty from some member ... with link posted."

"Here are some more awards. Now so-and-so will recite a lovely passage from the winning fanfic."

"Here are some awards. And before we wrap up, here are some vids people have done for Muppet love. They are AMVs or edited mashups or whatnot. Heck, some people even inserted their whatnot over Walter's face to give their own inspirational speech in that one scene from the movie."

"Thank you and good night. See you again next year!"

If people have their "shows" done beforehand, we wouldn't have to wait long for them to be up so they can fit nicely between award segments.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I like this idea. As long as the "show" keeps moving, these little bits might add some welcome spice to the event.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I think we might as well give this another try. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.