Should we have the Muppet Central Awards this year?

Should we have the Muppet Central Awards this year?

• Total voters

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
If i give my 2 cents the awards were fun but really really long...if i remember instead of one night it took 3 days...i think if it where to happen again we need a major overhaul of how its presented...plan it out better beforehand so if something does happen unexpected it can be dealt with...i think one thing i disliked where the gaps in time given to give people time for a "speech"...while nice it took alot of time since a few who won were not there if it was me announce the awards between different posts..have fun videos and "commercials" but plan out what goes where and when...if a member wants to give a speech they will give it...but in a way since this isnt "Live" they can post whenever they want instead of at a certain time

basically long rant short explained...is if the awards continue we need a committee...a group of members dedicated to putting this stuff together....sorta like my school did ..we would sit 6 months before hand pick category's and figure out the basics..,4 months in begin publicly announcing awards giving people a chance to submit work(video school)..2 months in remind those and set a date and begin the voting process and any intro videos started...so that we knew what was happening night of.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I agree, the drawn-out ceremony was a drag. Perhaps it shouldn't be done in real-time. Post the awards ceremony, then let people react, post speeches, etc. as replies to that thread.

beakerboy12

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of the ideas here. There does need better execution in the awards, that is, if we do it. A committee would be good for that. But time is the biggest thing. We shouldn't have to wait hours for a speech or someone to show up. I loved last years awards except for the 3-day time span. So, just some input...

And as for the talent show, the idea sounds really good but I don't really see what we could do except for showcasing the members' puppetry.

But I do love the idea for an award show just on the Muppets themselves. Like "Best Movie/Production", "Best Song", or "Best Viral Video of the Muppets Singing a Song by Queen". (BTW, I think I know what'd that last award.) But no matter what idea we do, we still need better execution and timing.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
To be fair (and to educate the relatively newer members), there usually is a "committee" of sorts who handle the awards... I forget why there wasn't last year, but usually, the awards are executed by Prawnie, Lisa, Beau, and Ed, with Dave designing the awards, then they usually either "hire" someone to "host" the ceremony, or one of them will present the awards themselves.

And I've noticed there's a few complaints about timing and all... well, that may have been an issue last year or so, but again, USUALLY, in the old days, when there was more organization, the awards were so fast-paced, that there was very little time for speeches, commentary, etc, because awards were being presented every few moments or so... lot of ziffeling, lot of delays in reading responses, lot of overlooked/missed posts... maybe that's why it was slow last year, to prevent that from happening, I don't know, but again, I'm just sort of defending those who did work together in the old days to put the ceremony together, and kept it moving at a steady (though incredibly fast) pace.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I prefer the idea of a talent show. I feel that there are a lot of people who may be more apt to participate in something like that - last year, I felt a lot of the awards just went to the most popular members or the people who posted the most, which is to be expected in an awards ceremony based on posts. I think more people (especially those who don't post all the time) would participate if they felt they actually had a chance at being recognized for something.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
It doesn't have to be just vids of people and their puppets. A talent show can also be something like "a Fozzie sketch in haiku" or "awesome Muppet editing" or something. Perhaps a showcase of all those hundreds of threads about stuff people are bragging about (pictures, music, etc), but in one grand finale piece?

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
it being an award show someone will always feel hurt or not appreciated its just the nature of the beast..i wont lie and say i havent felt it myself but it happens..i dont think that should be the reason not to have them....also i based my main post on last year...since it was the first year i was nominated and really participated

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
True. If you arent nominated for anything you just gotta bite the bullet. I've never been nominated for anything and I'm not bitter about it. The problem is that last year there was a total lack of interest and it took too long for everything

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Wow some great input I think we could do a combo of things. Last year was my first year as host, and I was partly dragging things out because I had someone that was going to help co host and drooped out at the last second.
This year we could surly do something with a better format and Organized. I would like the honer of hosting again, but would love a co host as well.
I think if we combine the taken show and awards people would not get left out people could be a part of the talent show even if they have not been nominated.
I would also like to shorten the Ballot a bit since it was kind of hard for some people to fill out a full ballot.
We have a lot of great ideas and I really think we could make something really different this year.