Should the Muppets retire?

That Announcer

Reaction score
TogetherAgain said:
Gosh BEAR, I never thought of it that way. I've been so busy missing Rowlf that I haven't really paid attention to the other characters who have been stepping up. That's a good way to look at it. I think I'll still miss some of the other characters, but still... a very good point indeed.
Yes indeed. And this serves as more proof of my "core group" theory, namely that there is no core group of Muppets. Example: When GMC was premiered, the core group would have been Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter and Rowlf or maybe Teeth. Now, the core group is Kermit, Piggy, maybe Fozzie, Animal, Rizzo and Pepe. See? It changes, sort of like the English language changes. We used to say "ye", and now we say "you". It used to be Scooter that had a lead role, and now it's Rizzo. The Muppets adapt. That's another reason they shouldn't retire: to see what turns they are going to take in the next few years.

MustangRockstar

Reaction score
i think the muppets are rebuilding. Remember any entertainment property goes through peaks and valleys. Disney for all its strengths had a long down time after the death of walt disney. The muppets experienced the same thing with the death of jim henson.

The key for a comeback will be exposure. Get the DVD's out there, get new material out and get the muppets some notice. Not everything is going to work, but you need to try to find out. The Muppets are faced with two choices. Pack it in and disappear or go out and reintroduce themselves to people.

The only difference between kids now and kids then is that kids now havent been exposed to the muppets the same way we have. when i was a kid and i watched old cartoons, i didn't think of them as old i thought of them as funny. I didnt comprehend that some were older than my parents, i was entertained. Maybe it was for different reasons than my parents,but i was still entertained. That's what the muppets need, a chance. Kids will still find them funny and adults will still have memories. The only difference is that up until now thAT hasnt happened.

Disney represents the best chance to get these guys back in the mainstream. There is going to be success and failure but ultimately it is hooking a new generation that will determine the muppets future.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Frogster said:
In my opinion, yes.
Dear lord, I'm glad there is at least one person around here who sees the reality of the times. Thank you Frogster.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Cantus Rock said:
Dear lord, I'm glad there is at least one person around here who sees the reality of the times. Thank you Frogster.
So what does that make the rest of us? "The lovers, the dreamers, and...", to quote a certain song?

-Kim

That Announcer

Reaction score
Cantus Rock said:
I apologize in advance for any insults I may throw your way in the next two paragraphs.

What "reality of the times"? That could well be the biggest crock I've heard in a while now. Oh, I just caught your signature. So I guess "the reality of the times" means "Pepe but no Rowlf", does it? And Kim's right. If we are to believe what you say, we're just a bunch of wishful thinkers. Well, guess what, bub: The Muppets aren't going anywhere anytime soon. If anyone's dreaming, it's certainly not us.

I apologize again, but I stand by what I said.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Cantus Rock said:
"who sees the reality of the times" according to the gospel of voi. But many f us still belive (which is what Kermit taught) that they CAN be revived. I have no problem with your saying this, and I'm not going to dissagree with you, but with your opinion. I jus think it may be a tad strong what you said, rather than adding the "in my opinion."

Beau

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Good for all of you. I'm glad to see that when the Muppets continue their journey towards complete garbage, they'll still have an active fanbase of consumers to lap it up.

You're right; the Muppets aren't going away any time soon. That is the reality of the times I was speaking of. Its terrible, and like Frogster, I see that this downward spiral leads to oblivion.

None of the current Muppets productions have anything to do with Jim's vision. As time progresses, it gets worse and worse. Whenever you see something Muppets, ask yourself, "would Jim have done this?" Would Jim have allowed tasteless humor into his works? How about poor role model celebs? And what about the tacky dialogue? Under Juhl the writing was classic; now its childish, dated, and aggitating.

Like I said, its good to see there will always be people to digest these productions regardless of quality. How any true fan could be alright with such a terrible decline is beyond me. Take that however you'd like.

And of course, enjoy Muppet Survivor, Muppet Real World/Road Rules Challenge, The Muppets Go to a Middle-American High School (co-starring Ashley Simpson), and of course, The Muppets Kill Bill. I hear the rats are going to be the Crazy 88; how cute! I'm sure all of this would be totally up to Jim's standards.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Cantus does have some good points here. I, for one, am going to think about them...

Cantus Rock said:
Good for all of you. I'm glad to see that when the Muppets continue their journey towards complete garbage, they'll still have an active fanbase of consumers to lap it up.
Well...I havn't seen Mwoo, so to some degree I may not have the position to comment, but, I think they already reatched their all time low in the person of KSY. And they wern't then ownded by Disney, so we have only JHC to blame for that one (as I see it). However, VMC, I felt, was a level higher than KSY. I felt that it was heartfelt, and funny, and at the same time sad. Yes, a little tacky, and the cameos were...*shivers*...(but then again, so were some of the old cameos, over acting..steve martain the waiter...*shivers*)

The voices were erhaps a teeny tad off (or a lot, but I've gotten used to it now). I felt that Fozzie and Piggy were far closer to their old charcters than they were under Frank's recent projects. Piggy in MFS had no heart, and Fozzie was terrably rubish. (IMHO)

So i think they may have already hit their lowpoint, and be heading up again...having not seen Mwoo, that is. They may have fallen again since.

You're right; the Muppets aren't going away any time soon. That is the reality of the times I was speaking of. Its terrible, and like Frogster, I see that this downward spiral leads to oblivion.
I for one am glad they arn't going away any time soon. It does leave us the space to hope they will return. Later, if they start turning into a "Disney's Pooh" type franchise, then I will be worried. For now they are doign ok...steady...ish...

None of the current Muppets productions have anything to do with Jim's vision.
I dissagree. But...

As time progresses, it gets worse and worse. Whenever you see something Muppets, ask yourself, "would Jim have done this?" Would Jim have allowed tasteless humor into his works? How about poor role model celebs? And what about the tacky dialogue? Under Juhl the writing was classic; now its childish, dated, and aggitating.
True...yet, even the old projects had a few of these problems...

So, my over all summing up...maybe I'm being to protective, maybe I'm naieve, but I'm going to hold onto the wagon a little longer before giving up on them for good.

MWoO

Reaction score
i want to know what poor role model celebs are. What does that even mean? Since when did Jim Henson worry about role model celebs? didn't he have Alice Cooper on the freaking Muppet Show?

I think you are another one of those people who can't like anything new. You look at all the bad stuff and nothing good.

Beauregard

Reaction score
On the otehr hand, Mwoo, we look at all the good stuff and see nothing bad! We need someone to come in and balence the equasion here. And if Cantus is brave enough to do that, Kudos to him, I'd say. We need a good face-slap from time to time, no?