Should the Muppets retire?

Frogster

Reaction score
In my opinion, yes. They're not what they used to be, and it just seems that they're getting worse as the years go by. Disney's milking them for what little fame they have left. Asking someone about what they think of the Muppets in our world today isn't like asking someone back in the late 70's. Their opinions of them are low, and consider them to be just for elementary viewing. I love the Muppets of the past. Why not just leave it at that?

Take a look at MWoO. Despite good ratings for ABC, it was a horrible movie, about as good as Kermit's Swamp Years. The only difference is that I was taping it at the time, and I couldn't skip through it. Now, they're talking about Kermit visiting his 50 favorite places, a Kermit Roast, and a reality show. I mean, seriously. And for me personally, it's hard for me to watch the Muppets with my family any more... my dad, especially. He already thinks that I'm a little old to be watching them, and when something embarrassing like MWoO comes on, that just makes him more right... and I hate it when my dad's right.

So Steve, Eric, and whoever else, stop embarrassing yourselves and just let your arms rest; retire, and sit back and watch the stuff from the good days. Heck, the first season of TMS is coming out next month, and Fraggle Rock's after that. You guys aren't that good, and some of you have ruined the personalities of my favorite characters. If you don't feel like retiring, however, watch- and by that, I mean pay attention- to the characters and format of The Muppet Show when (not if, when) all five seasons are released, if you haven't watched them now. You may be surprised at how good the Muppets really were, compared to how terrible you guys sometimes are.

MWoO

Reaction score
do you even realize that Steve is PART of the original muppets? he was on at least 2 season of the Muppet show and was in 2 of the original muppet movies and a number of specials. He IS part of what made the muppets good and he still is part of what makes them good.

You are basically of the school of thought that says if it is not the original performers, it isn't good. NOTHING will make people like you happy.

That Announcer

Reaction score
MWoO said:
do you even realize that Steve is PART of the original muppets? he was on at least 2 season of the Muppet show and was in 2 of the original muppet movies and a number of specials. He IS part of what made the muppets good and he still is part of what makes them good.

You are basically of the school of thought that says if it is not the original performers, it isn't good. NOTHING will make people like you happy.
I'm not sure if I'd take it that far, but yes. Frogster, that could well be the most hair-brained statement I've heard in a while now. The Muppets have been lying dormant now since MTI, occasionally emitting a sputter or two. They are finally going to be up on their feet (or flippers as the case may be), entertaining the world and doing something, well, Muppetational.

And what good reason is there for them to give it all up? The performers? Well, if that's the argument you're using, it would have made more sense to do that around MFS. Frank didn't want to be there and Jerry wasn't around as much as he had been previously, and suitable replacements hadn't been Peter, etc.) are charging ahead at full speed, ready to make people smile again.

Disney is working wonders with the Muppets, thrusting them forth into the spotlight and telling them to start working magic again. Yes, the new productions may not be GMC caliber. Yes, MWoO had its shortcomings. But even if the productions do not 100% match up to Jim's stuff, they come very, very close.

In short: There is no reason whatsoever for the Muppets to give up. None. They are doing everything that they should be, how they should be doing it. The Muppets are more of a creative force now than they have been in nearly ten years. New movies, DVDs, specials, productions, books, everything! And besides, where would the world be if there wasn't a little green frog there to entertain us?

PS: If you want my personal opinion, the Brian-directed films were better than three of Jim's films (TMTM, TMM, Dark Crystal) and MWoO surpassed all three of the immediately previous Muppet productions by leaps and bounds. So there.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
MWoO said:
do you even realize that Steve is PART of the original muppets? he was on at least 2 season of the Muppet show and was in 2 of the original muppet movies and a number of specials.
Actually, Steve Whitmire was in the last three seasons of The Muppet Show (or is that the last two and a half, considering that he started halfway through the third season?), and he was in all of the muppet movies, he just didn't have any specific characters in The Muppet Movie.

That Announcer

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Actually, Steve Whitmire was in the last three seasons of The Muppet Show (or is that the last two and a half, considering that he started halfway through the third season?), and he was in all of the muppet movies, he just didn't have any specific characters in The Muppet Movie.
Yep, he doubled for Frank as Fozzie a few times in that movie. If Piggy's in the car talking, that's Steve "driving" as Fozzie.

MWoO

Reaction score
Now that I did not know, but since he didn't actually have a speaking part you cant really count TMM.

Beauregard

Reaction score
*coughs* Guys, um, in a different thread right now we are discussing letting people have their own opinions without leapign on them. Lay off a little..

Moi, I think they should certainly not retire. They (to me)_ are only just coming back to their roots (judging from VMC). I mean, honestly, Frank's Piggy, Animal and Fozzie were worse in MFS than Eric's version in VMC.

And, Luke, even if I did agree with you in principle, laying the blame on the perforers Frank and Steve is certainly not going to help. It is not the performers fault, it's the writers,producers, directors. It's not like in Jim and Frank's day. The performers don't make the movie no more, they perform in it. So please, try not to say nasty things about Eric and Steve.

I'd say give the Muppets another chance. This year seems to be shaping up to be good one. Maybe the Muppts can bring their fans back...maybe not...let's wait and see...

BEAR

Reaction score
Don't worry folks. We all know that the Muppet are never going to retire or go away as long as their are loyal fans like us that still believe in them. I also think that they have been doing more lately then they have in a long time. Don't let Frogster get to you. If he doesn't believe, so be it. I wouldn't call him a true fan if he is just going to give up. Right, Pepe?

:rolleyes: I want the Muffens to do a reality show, okay..."A Date With Pepe!"
Oh, brother..

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Muppets? Retire? No thank you. I understand that not everyone thinks they're quite "up to par" anymore, but personally, I jump for joy when I see anything new Muppety. And I do mean that, I quite literally jump. Actually, I jump, clap, and make this funny little high-pitched squeal... but I digress.

I still think the Muppets have that special magic about them, and I don't see them losing it any time soon. If anything, I see them getting more.

Let me put it this way: With Muppets, the glass is not half empty, or half full. The glass is getting dumped over somebody's head.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
It's funny, how everyone seems to think that the Muppets were perfect and elite at one specific point in time. Of course, since we all love the muppets so much we could easily have those blind spots. But seriously? The Muppet Show wasn't perfect. Neither were all of the movies. There are always areas where they could be improved. So before you guys wish everything was like the good old days, just realise. The Muppets from today aren't any worse, per se, just different.

Noq, I am going to get a little choosy with my words and say this: Lay off the Muppet performers!! Darnit, they're just doing their jobs with the materiel they're given, and they're doing just great. It's what they do for a living, and I don't think they should be held up against the other performers and criticised, as those were different times, and people in general are all different and in turn perceive characters differently. When it comes down to it, they're paying their bills by doing this stuff. So leave them alone. People get old, people retire, and nothing is ever the same from one project to the other. So suck it up, release some pride, and judge the muppets (and the performers) fairly, on the work they are doing, and not by comparing them to an unfair, elite standard.