Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theatre

muppet baby

Reaction score
Do any of you remember this wonderful series from the 80s ?

Here are the shows and the stars :

1) Aladdin And His Wonderful Lamp : stars are James Earl Jones and Valerie Burtinelli

2) Beauty and the Beast stars Susan Sarandon

3) The Boy Who Left Home To Find Out About The Sivers : Stars Peter Macnicol

4) Cinderella stars Jennifer Beals and Matthew Booderock and Jean staplton

5) The Dancing Princesses stars Lesley Anne Warren and Peter Weller

6) The Emperor's New Clothes Stars alan arkin

7) Goldilocks and the 3 Bears stars Tatum O Neal and John Lithgow and Carole King

8) Hansel and Gretel stars Joan Collins and a very Young Ricky scroder LOL .

9) Jack and the Beanstalk stars Eliott Gould and Jean Steaplton

10) The Little Mermaid Stars Pam Dawber and Helen Mirren , and Brain Dennehy

11) Little Red Riding Hood stars Mary Steenburgen

12) The Nightingale Mick Jagger and Barbara Hershey

13) The Pided Piper of Hameline stars Eric Idle

14) Pinocchio stars Paul Rubens ( of Pewee Hermen fame ) LOL

15 ) The Princess and the Pea stars Tom Conti and Liza Minnelli

16) The Princess who had never laughed Stars Ellen Barkin

17) Puss and Boots stars Alfre Woodard

18) Rapunzel stars Shelley Duvall and Jeff Bridges

19) Rip Van Winkle stars Harry Dean stanton

20) Rumpelstilskin stars Ned Beaty

21) Sleeping Beauty stars Bernadett Peters and the great Christopher Reeve

22) The Snow Queen stars Melissa Gilbert

23) Snow White and the seven Dawfrs stars Eizabeth Mcgovrn and Vanessa Redgrave

24) The Frog Prince stars Teri Garr and Robin Williams

25) The Three Little Pigs stars Billy Crystal

26) Thumbelina stars Carrie Fisher

I wanted to do this Thread because this series is one of my all time faveerite Video series . I say it that way because , even though it was a Showtime tv series in the 80s i did not have show time as a child and i ran across this series one day in a video store when mom and dad and i where in a video store wanting to rent some movies .

This series has bought me comfort all of my life almost . i watch it in good times and bad . I can not get enough :excited:.

Please those of you that know the show and remember it please add your memeroies here and tell what you like best .

For me Sleeping Beauty was my all time faverite and the snow queen and Cinderlla .

Thumballa also .

I have two different DVD releases of this series i had to wait until i was 27 , to have the entire thing on DVD this series brings such happness .

i really love the costums and the sets are beuitful and simple .

I saw this a lot before i was able to see a lot of Disney back then They where only at the movies mostly and very little VHS releases at the time . LOL i will be sharing some more memeries with is thread over time Enjoy .

If you have not seen this series it is a must buy .

it is worth the money the latest release that was released last year , is so good and not that expensive for a box set . You get a lot for your money .:insatiable:.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Thank you so much, Michelle! I've never seen this before, but Shelley Duvall rules! She's awesome!

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I have this DVD set on order. I'm looking forward to when it arrives. I have never seen some of the episodes at all. :excited:

muppet baby

Reaction score
I have this DVD set on order. I'm looking forward to when it arrives. I have never seen some of the episodes at all. :excited:
I am so glad marty that you are excited i really feel that this series is one of the best made for Tv and then put to DVD as a series . i really hope that you like all of them i know that i do .

Once i got the entire series on DVD i found that there where only 3 out of the 26 that i had never seen LOL .

I still can not belive that i had rented almost all of them as a child .

I love them all

:excited:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I just checked the list Michelle and I realize that I've only never seen about 6 of them myself. I would have seen them all no doubt if they'd been available at the rental stores. :big_grin:

Are there any stories that you wish had been filmed for the series Michelle?

I would have always loved to have seen "The Ugly Duckling" personally. I think they could have been able to present the story plausibly with some creative comedy. A poor mother swan unable to support her baby could have secretly slipped her unhatched egg among the duck family's eggs before slipping away hoping they will treat her child as one of their own if they believe it really is their own egg.

Then at the end the ugly duckling could have somehow been reunited with his real mother at the end of the episode when he grows up into a beautiful swan. :flirt:

What do you think of my idea Michelle?

zns

Reaction score
I think I recall seeing this series on the Disney Channel at some pint between the early and mid-nineties. Anyway, "Muppet Magazine" did an article of the show with Shelly Duvall in the summer '86 issue. In that article, written by Jim Lewis, the Muppets dress up in their own fairie tale outfits and try to impress Shelly when she comes to visit the set, hoping she will use them in future episodes.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Ah yes, I loved this show! Michelle, are those all the episodes you listed? Somehow, I always thought there were more... Ah well, I loved your idea Marty! Trying to think of my own...
I loved the way they would put their own spin on the stories, for example in Goldilocks, the ranger being friends with the Bear family. And Robin Williams always stands out most clearly in my mind whenever I think of the show because, well, he's just like that in a good way, lol!
:smile:

StreetScenes

Reaction score
"would you like something to drink? perhaps some ham?"

(said, of course in an overly polite and exaggerated tone: "haaaahm"?) that's how i remember the prince being greeted in the dancing princesses episode. the quote may be off, but my family has been saying that every time we've had ham since like the 80s :smile: pretty sure i had that episode on tape.

muppet baby

Reaction score
I just checked the list Michelle and I realize that I've only never seen about 6 of them myself. I would have seen them all no doubt if they'd been available at the rental stores. :big_grin:

Are there any stories that you wish had been filmed for the series Michelle?

I would have always loved to have seen "The Ugly Duckling" personally. I think they could have been able to present the story plausibly with some creative comedy. A poor mother swan unable to support her baby could have secretly slipped her unhatched egg among the duck family's eggs before slipping away hoping they will treat her child as one of their own if they believe it really is their own egg.

Then at the end the ugly duckling could have somehow been reunited with his real mother at the end of the episode when he grows up into a beautiful swan. :flirt:

What do you think of my idea Michelle?
Oh yes for sure marty i wish this one had been done that would have been so great your idea was wonderful . One thing though is that i wish that shelly duvall would do this series again with some more stories . She did a perfect job with this series . I wish she had done ferie tale called snow white and rose red i had i have not read that ferie tale in Years but love it . it was a different telling of snow white .

I love the Disney version of snow white the best of all the tellings of snow white . Of all the " Live action " versions of snow white though that have been told , the ferie tale theatre version is the best i think, the same thing for Sleeping Beauity .

muppet baby

Reaction score
I think I recall seeing this series on the Disney Channel at some pint between the early and mid-nineties. Anyway, "Muppet Magazine" did an article of the show with Shelly Duvall in the summer '86 issue. In that article, written by Jim Lewis, the Muppets dress up in their own fairie tale outfits and try to impress Shelly when she comes to visit the set, hoping she will use them in future episodes.
that is so cool zns thanks for posting about the magizine do u know where i can get a copy of that issue i would love to have that as a collectable !