Shalom Sesame Chanukah airing in NYC/NJ Area

DonnaMusic

Reaction score
Dear All,

As the holiday of Chanukah is approaching, Shalom Sesame's Chanukah episode (The Missing Menorah) appears to be airing several times in the NYC/ NJ areas on these PBS networks:

WNET 13
WLIW 21
WNJN (23) NJ based

Check your local listings for this week. The air dates (encompassing all these channels) are between Nov. 29- Dec. 9. I will enjoy checking out this series for the first time since the 1st episode of the 80s version which I recorded from the TV airing back in the day!

Jennifer K.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I haven't seen any of the new videos yet, but I hope it's as good as the original series!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I haven't seen any of the new videos yet, but I hope it's as good as the original series!
I hope to see a LOT less dubbed clips and more either original RS sketches or more things about the culture. I was always meh on the dubbed skits. They're interesting sure... but I'd rather see more Moishe Oofnik than "This is what Bert sounds like" type bits. That said, I'm wondering when the Boston area will air them. We're in...UGH... pledge month, and we're no doubt gonna see a LOT of Brain Fitness and My Music type programs over here instead. Though, this stuff would be IDEAL for pledge drives, especially since some of the videos are available now.

Still, I wish they'd somehow create an "Around the World with Sesame" type series based on the same principles as Shalom Sesame, but each episode would be from a different country.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Still, I wish they'd somehow create an "Around the World with Sesame" type series based on the same principles as Shalom Sesame, but each episode would be from a different country.
I have actually thought about this idea before. I think a Shalom Sesame-like Plaza Sesamo series featuring Abelardo, Lola and Pancho teaching Spanish language and culture would be ideal for teaching Spanish to elementary school-level kids. Though I admit it'd be weird to hear the Plaza Sesamo Muppets speaking in English after so many years of watching them solely in Spanish.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah... I just checked the schedule and there's NO Shalom Sesame ANYWHERE in the next 2 weeks over here. But HEY, a LOT of Brain Fitness and old fogey music...:mad: I HATE HATE HATE pledge month. They should just recall it "Hand your Social Security Checks over to PBS" month.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It may just be an area-specific thing. It looks like it's the NY/NJ stations (and I happen to live in NJ). I mean, about a year ago one of my stations aired Panwapa in place of SST.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure we'll get it in time... probably over a year after everyone else sees it. Sigh... I hate how PBS has to ho themselves out the way they do for pledges, and refuse to air programs they normally would run for the sake of staying alive. But it WOULD be nice to have a special that appeals to someone besides old people. I can't see why they can't use the Shalom Sesame series as pledge month programming, and just cut out breaks in episodes and use the DVD's as pledge gifts.

nayrbgo

Reaction score
KCET in Los Angeles is airing it 8AM Wednesday!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Eh... my face is red. It's airing in the Boston area tomorrow starting at 11 AM. Kinda hoped it would be prime time. And it's only the Chanukah episode.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Caught the first episode... missed a little of the beginning though... but here's some stuff to look out for.

Mr. Johnson's Israeli counterpart

The Count's Number of the day organ (the numbers counted by the organ are dubbed, as is the Count's counting of bats). Suzie Kabloozie's number of the day judge thing (number dubbed).

A LOT of stuff from Elmo's World "Happy Holidays" (Telly and baby Bear playing driedle, the Hanukah channel, the segment where they talk to a kid). I'm wondering if dubbed skits are used in this slot in other episodes.

And Extreme Makeover Temple Edition, featuring a line that killed me... "MOVE THAT BUST!"

And his name escapes me at the moment... but that Yiddish rapper beatboxing with Moshie Oofnik.

All and all, it was the most fun to see the Israeli characters interact with Grover. All and all, not that many dubbed clips, other than the number segments. I'm wondering if their letter segments were Rechov Sumsum originals or something made for the US version... It's a shame my PBS only ran that one.