Sex and Violence

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Does the content of the pilot match up to what's listed in the MC guide, or is there additional material that was cut from the original airing? As far as I know we've yet to establish if there was a UK version of the pilot with extra content.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The pilot was WEIRD. I mean, there were segments that just jump cuts from one to the other. I LOVE the joke of the Swedish Chef being subtitled in oriental writing. THAT was hilarious. Also, the names under the clocks as to what time it was and where, and the clocks themselves, were funny. About the only thing that seemed TMS-ish was the scenes with Nigel, Sam, and Floyd in the office.

I understood the Mt. Rushmore thing as a running-gag because the punchline was in their final appearance on the show. I understood the wrestling match as the characters there ended up in one big knot with limbs stretched all over their bodies.

I have NO idea if anything was added to, or cut from, this as I've never seen it before.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
Does the content of the pilot match up to what's listed in the MC guide, or is there additional material that was cut from the original airing? As far as I know we've yet to establish if there was a UK version of the pilot with extra content.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole
I don't think there would have been any extra scenes for a U.K. broadcast. The pilots were made before Lew Grade made a deal with Jim Henson to produce the show in england. When the original pilots were made, Jim Henson was trying to sell the show to the three big networks, and the pilots were produced for ABC.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Yeah, Floyd seemed very trippy. It made me laugh at the random stuff he was saying.

Watched this with some friends last night: Swedish Chef got TONS of laughs. I laughed at Mt. Rushmore, but noone else did. 7 deadly sins was a hit. Wrestling match? I was watching it with one eyebrow up in the air, if you can picture that. Twas a bit of an odd scene. Very jumpy but VERY cool, it was an excellent treat.
And I loved seeing Frank Oz run around with Sam. ^_^

Ernie101

Reaction score
I laughed my butt off when the Janitor comes in during the wrestling scene and says, something along the lines of.. "Just to let you guys know, we have an ice hockey match tommorow morning".

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I loved the once scene the EM band had, and they showed the swirls in Floyd's eyes. THAT was a cool effect.

BEAR

Reaction score
I watched "Sex and Violence" last night for the first time and I didn't like it very much at all. It actually bored me for the most part. Not funny and very slow. I am so glad that they didn't stick with that format for the actual Muppet Show. Statler and Waldorf work better in the balcony heckling and being feisty old men, not dull geriatrics in an empty retirement home. To me, they keep they usually keep the show running with their jokes in between acts.
It was still interesting to see how different they were when the show was first developing. Floyds eyes with the spirals and Bert's cameo in the dancing segment was fun to see, but that was it. That Yellow guy who was the host had no personality. Kermit was meant to host that show.

"Sex and Violence"... :boo:

BEAR

Reaction score
I forgot, one other thing that was interesting was that blue monster character that looked like a creepy version of Grover. It was like Grover on drugs. Anyone else notice this?

Anyway, aside from Bert's cameo, were there any other appearances by Sesame Street characters in the first season that I should look out for as I watch?

Ernie101

Reaction score
Wasn't Ernie the one Bert was dancing with? I thought he was in a disguise or something.. because bert says, " You look familiar" and the person he dances with turns around and laughs to the camera.

Also, I thought Nigel was alright. Not that funny, but a good host...

Not sure whitch monster you're talking about. What segment is this in?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I forgot, one other thing that was interesting was that blue monster character that looked like a creepy version of Grover. It was like Grover on drugs. Anyone else notice this?
That monsters name is Thudge, and he was created for an appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show.