Sesame Street under attack for airing McDonald's commercials

ssetta

Reaction score
This is something. When I was little, McDonald's was always one of the local sponsors of Sesame Street. We got 3 (4) PBS stations, and they all individualy had McDonald's as a local sponsor.

jediX

Reaction score
Mc Donalds has become a scapegoat for the increasing levels of obesity in youth...just like tv and video games were scapegoats for the rise in juvenile violence. They look for and blame the simplest solutions without evaluating what the actual causes are. If MCD's is selling such fattening food then just don't give your kids it. Their cheeseburgers are repulsive anyways.

Aren't there more IMPORTANT things for politicans to focus on instead of Sesame Street's advertising??? Are they THAT bored?

Besides, when I eat fast food I go to Wendy's :wink:

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
I am all for trying to control America's over-eating habits and all, but "this" is a bit much. Keeping a fast food logo out of SS is not the answer for anything. Want to control obesity? Don't eat at McDonald's so often, if at all. People are not stupid. "Parents" are not stupid. They have the ability to control what their kids eat.

It's like that case a while back where obese teenagers who ate at McDonald's every day sued the burger chain for making them fat. God ... how stupid can people be?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
trekkie1701E said:
It's like that case a while back where obese teenagers who ate at McDonald's every day sued the burger chain for making them fat. God ... how stupid can people be?
How stupid? I'll tell ya: A jury saw in favor of the obese folks and got them money from the food chain!!

It's kind of the same thing where a burglar, if hurt on your property by you while breaking in, can sue you for damages/pain/suffering.

Splurge

Reaction score
Here's a question to ask, one that I have no idea of the answer. I live in a city where there is plenty of alternatives to McDonald's in walking distance, among fast-food joints alone.

But I do wonder if there are many places in America where McDonald's is the only cheap place to eat and get food in the nearby area as well as being the only place to hang out?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Splurge said:
But I do wonder if there are many places in America where McDonald's is the only cheap place to eat and get food in the nearby area as well as being the only place to hang out?

Near school, there are a few fast food resteraunts, a Taco joint, and expensive sit in resteraunts like Bertucci's and some sort of Pub... just that...

jediX

Reaction score
My high school's cafeteria food was infinitely worse than any fast food could ever produce. Sadly, eating at Wendy's was healthier. lol

Drtooth

Reaction score
I watched the Sesame Sponsers this morning before leaving, for reasearch. McDonald's is pretty much the most subtle of a commercial.

Now the Spagettio's one...

"Spagettio's A-Z pasta, with 8 essential vitamins, proudly supports PBS kids and Sesame street.."

8 essential viatmins... I dunno about you, but that is BLATANTLY trying to sell something. it's a commercial to me!

The FCC should really step in about this. 8 essential vitamins and Minerals... UGH!!!!

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Unless you're in one of those truck stops in the middle of nowhere where there is only a McDonald's and a gas station, there is almost always a McDonald's nearby. The largest one in the world is in Hong Kong (Two gigantic stories), and it's always bustling. One of the only places around there to get Americanized fast food at a cheap price. :smile:

In response to Fozzie Bear, I'll bet nobody went into that courtroom and said, or at least implied, "Are you two so stupid that you didn't even know most of the food at McDonald's is bad for you?"

If somebody had said or implied that, we might've seen a whole different trial outcome.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd love to write an editorial about this...