1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Sesame Street Stays Up Late

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Oscarfan, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Someone recently uploaded the full special on YouTube:

&feature=channel_video_title

I hadn't seen this in a long while and I really enjoy it. Using the international characters along side the domestic ones is such a brilliant move. I don't know why they haven't done that more often (I wonder if they'll do anything else with those Panwapa guys).
  2. Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

I'd never even heard of this! Too cool! Thanks, Oscarfan!
  3. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I wish I got the DVD when I had the chance, but ehhh.... I was going to watch it on YT anyway. Such an underrated special. It's great to see American and international characters co-mingling...

though I feel disappointed by the fact they didn't get any Plaza Sesamo characters in Mexico and just made up a Mexican Elmo.

And I love the name Elmonosuke.. even though transliteration would make it Erumonosuke.
  4. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I think they must have written and filmed this before the 1993 edition of PS came out.
  5. The Count Moderator

This special has a dear place in my SST affections. My family and I went on basically what was our last family trip after the death of my father, we went to Connecticut and met up with my uncle and second aunt on my mom's side. As part of that vacation, we drove up for a week's stay at rentable houses in Vermont. The night we drove up to Vermont I remember there was a doughnut moon... And when we got to the house we'd be staying at, I find the TV and turn it on and find this Sesame special airing. You can imagine my surprise upon catching it when having no prior knowledge as to its airing—this was before the days of fan-driven forums where we get notifications of every little time the Muppets show up on anything.

Loved learning about the different customs and characters from the featured co-productions. Even the ending had that touch of SST funniness.
    Thanks for reminding us of a great special.
  6. ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

Woah, memory flood. :electric: Watching that special is one of the earliest Muppet-related memories I have (I've still got the video my mom recorded around here somewhere) and it's still my favorite out of all the SST specials I've seen.

My favorite parts were always the international segments from Germany and Norway and the song at the end, which I can still remember the words to, even though it's been years since I've watched it.

I would always insist on watching it on New Years Eve, even when nobody else wanted to. One year, I even tried to sync it so that midnight on Sesame Street would
    coincide with actual midnight (it didn't work right).
  7. BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Well in 1993, Rechov Sumsum was long gone and it had been over two years since the end of Shalom Sesame, but I digress. (besides, from what I've seen, it doesn't seem like the Plaza Sesamo puppeteers know very much English)

That said, I loved this special as a boy as well. And I've got to say, for a street in New York at the very end of December, Sesame Street has some darn great weather. You barely see anyone in winter gear.
  8. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Well, it would appear that Tita and the Norwegian characters had dubbed voices, so I don't think it's all a matter of English.
  9. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I wonder if it was an availability issue. It looked like this was before PS's relaunch. I mean, Abelardo could have made an appearance, sure, but that grouch character was on the way out, right? Plus, had they another grouch, it would be too similar to the Israel segment.

Whatever the reason, at least we still have Moishe Oofnki. He's one of my favorite international characters.
  10. The Shoe Fairy Active Member

Man am I happy somone uploaded this.
  11. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I finally get the chance to see this, and the guy closed his account completely.
  12. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

&list=FLoQOYRJslVxFuwGNmnoYgXw&index=4&feature=plpp_video
  13. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Thanks. Just got around to seeing it. it is SUCH a shame they don't do prime time Sesame Street specials anymore. *&^%$ PBS and their Wayne Dyer self help pledge month crap. People would actually WATCH this. And viewers would happily pledge if something of quality was on for a change. No more of that inorganic, not PBS quality junk they use to get senior citizens to give them their social security checks/potential portion of their money left in their will.

If there's anything this could be comparable to, it would be Elmo's World Happy Holidays... but it essentially takes the same holiday and shows the different ways it could be celebrated all over the world, rather than 3 different ones and their US customs. Plus, you get to see some great international characters we rarely get to see. I LOVE the Moishe Oofnik segment. Too bad they call him Oofnik... that's like calling Porky "Pig."
  14. DannyRWW Well-Known Member

I like this special. We watch the DVD every year for New Years. I love the whole story line with Telly... and while Elmo is present its nice that its not about him as the main focus.
  15. beaker Well-Known Member

LOVED this! My fave Sesame special ever next to Dont Eat The Pictures and Big Bird Goes To China.

I wish they'd do more of the really cool special types again(like Dont Eat The Pictures and the China/Japan one)
  16. Mr.Penguin Member

Here it is back up! :D
  17. JazzyAlphabet Active Member

Moishe Oofnik is my favorite.
  18. cjd874 Well-Known Member

I've always loved this special. Here's my thoughts:
    • Telly was really the star of this one, but I have to say that Elmo, Grover, and Cookie Monster stole the show with their newsroom antics. (After Cookie eats the flashlight: "Yum. Light snack.")
    • I was always fascinated by the international Muppets and the traditions that they showed in each country. I always laughed at the skiing catastrophe.
    • One of the most touching moments ever on SS: when Gina convinces Telly that nothing will change after the New Year, the camera pans out, showing him in Gina's arms. (touches heart) Gets me right here.
    • Oscar's skit with his relatives and Lily Tomlin was priceless. (Frank Oz as Uncle Hank and Marty Robinson as Oscar's mom! HA! :laugh: )
    • The closing song was good, not only because the whole cast was there, but because that was one of Steve Whitmire's first vocal performances as Ernie .
    • Say what you will, but I think this is one of the most Muppet-centered specials of all time (right up there with Muppet Family Christmas and 30th Anniversary Celebration). That's not a bad thing. We just saw very little of Bob, Gordon, Susan, Maria, Luis, etc. because there has to be more focus on the American & international Muppets for obvious reasons.
    • Gina is especially good-looking in this one. :flirt:
    • Also, Wolfgang the Seal. 'Nuff said.