Sesame Street Sketches and Songs About Not Doing It All Alone - Like Lonsome Joan

Skekayuk

Reaction score
Bert and Ernie once sang a song about 'Lonesome Joan', who "thought she had to do everything alone" and as a result did not learn to tie her shoelaces, or read and write.
I am wondering what other songs and sketches are there on that theme? (ie using help from a parent or teacher etc)
I am curious, because pre-school kids are so often wanting to do things "by themselves" that they can't yet manage to do on their own, without help from a grown up.So I am sure this is an issue that Sesame Street must have tackled more often than just that song.
Please note, I am specifically thinking about help from older people ie adults.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Bert and Ernie once sang a song about 'Lonesome Joan', who "thought she had to do everything alone" and as a result did not learn to tie her shoelaces, or read and write.
I am wondering what other songs and sketches are there on that theme? (ie using help from a parent or teacher etc)
I am curious, because pre-school kids are so often wanting to do things "by themselves" that they can't yet manage to do on their own, without help from a grown up.So I am sure this is an issue that Sesame Street must have tackled more often than just that song.
Please note, I am specifically thinking about help from older people ie adults.
Hi Skekayuk,
Prairie Dawn once did a song called "All By Myself". She was singing about all the things she could do without any help from anyone anymore. (like pouring juice, reaching for a toy, etc. ) She was proud of herself for not asking for help anymore.
I hope I helped a bit.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Also... What about that song shot with live film of kids putting on their clothes while the off-screen singer asked...
:sing: How to get that button, through that old buttonhole?

Or am I the only one here that remembers that film/song insert? :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Also... What about that song shot with live film of kids putting on their clothes while the off-screen singer asked...
:sing: How to get that button, through that old buttonhole?

Or am I the only one here that remembers that film/song insert? :stick_out_tongue: :frown:
That sounds vaguely familiar, if it's the same one I'm thinking of. I think it ran back in the late 70's/early 80's. A couple kids in their tighty-whities struggling to get their clothes on, zippers zipped, buttons buttoned, shoes tied. The last line went,

"One day, one happy happy day, I can do it by myself". Does this ring a bell?

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
"Cooperation" is one of my favorites (featuring Muppets working together in an inner city garden)
Big Bird's song "That's Cooperation" is good too- both speak to the idea of working together.