Sesame Street Season 47 Episode 4715 - Meet Julia

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4715 - Meet Julia
HBO Premiere: Monday April 10, 2017
PBS Premiere: Monday April 10, 2017

Big Bird learns about autism when he's introduced to Julia, who helps her new friends invent a game called "boing tag."

This episode features an all-new street story and Elmo's World ("Friends").

Beginning with Season 46, HBO acquired exclusive first-rights to broadcast Sesame Street episodes. PBS broadcasts these same shows nine months after their HBO premiere. In order to help more children with autism, this episode aired jointly on HBO and PBS on Monday April 10, 2017. Check local listings for air times for PBS and HBO. This is the first Season 47 episode to air on PBS.

Autism currently affects 1 in 68 children. Sesame Workshop has an official website for children and parents who are dealing with the challenges of autism.

If you saw "Meet Julia" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I thought it was nice and sweet. Sesame is doing the Lord's work yet again.

I was a little worried when the theme would be "friends," and they'd reused basically all the inserts from the previous "friend"-themed shows, but they instead went with a bunch of random, short segments, which I liked. A re-used EW from this season though, but who cares? Nice to see they could use the "Two is You and Me" song again, even though it was cut from other HBO airings.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I saw the episode on PBS. It was actually very heartwarming.

I liked how they handled the topic without making Julia's autism seem like a problem for her or any of the people around her- it's just the way she is, and everyone is different. And the scene when Julia and Alan are on the roof together was a great metaphor for how she sees the world differently. I think Alan was the perfect cast member to be in this episode- he's a very sweet, calm and reassuring person. I also thought the film about the two friends was very sweet, although once again, as some have pointed out about other segments, it featured the letter of the day but didn't actually teach it.

I noticed, Caroll's voice acting for Big Bird was less distracting in this episode, although it was a little sad to hear how weak his voice sounded during the song. They very clearly used some auto-tune there.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't think I can find just the right kinds of words to describe this episode - it's just too precious for words. Anyone who has issues with Julia, or the fact that SST now has an autistic Muppet, should be slapped in the face with a cold wet fish.

Is this the first time the rooftop patio over the community center has been seen on the show? Either way, I loved the little moment with Alan helping Julia calm down, and Julia then finding it funny that Big Bird looked like a small bird from up there. As always, SST was straight-forward and to-the-point regarding aspects of Julia's autism to explain them to Big Bird (and through him, the viewers at home) without sugar-coating and watering it down. It was handled very well.

The F is for the Friends film reminded me of Jim's RUN, RUN short film.

Half of the Two-Headed Monster sounds like Cookie Monster, so I guess it's safe to assume which head was performed by David Rudman.

I saw this episode on PBS, and it gave the episode number as 4635 for some reason - did anyone else's PBS do this? Did HBO do this?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I noticed, Caroll's voice acting for Big Bird was less distracting in this episode, although it was a little sad to hear how weak his voice sounded during the song. They very clearly used some auto-tune there.
I think the engaging and heartwarming story made up for it. Same with the slight lisp Elmo suddenly had for some reason.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I saw this episode on PBS, and it gave the episode number as 4635 for some reason - did anyone else's PBS do this? Did HBO do this?
HBO has the correct episode number.

wiley207

Reaction score
The episode didn't air on WGBH-2 today! Instead it was a rerun of "Enthusiastic Penelope Penguin!" :frown:

Oh well, off to YouTube!

Now that I saw it, I really enjoyed the main street story a lot. I'm going to really like Julia.

Last edited: